S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment

Old 07-02-2018, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am starting to gather parts to replace all worn suspension items on my S2000.
I already have lower camber joints installed.
Can I also run offset upper control arm bushings and be STR legal?
From what I read in the rules, I cannot install both lower camber joints and upper control arms with camber adjustment but I am not sure of the legality of running offset upper control arm bushings (Origin Fabrication) in combination with my lower camber joints.

Last edited by exigex; 07-02-2018 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

So I changed my setup a tad. One practice event to get it someone dialed in so far and for now it feels better at least.

I had revalved Koni yellows and always felt like the car was underdamped and could never get it set up the way I wanted. Spoke with Lee at Koni and he mentioned the high spring rates we run in STR just do not play well with the smaller piston in the yellows. I have a lot going on this year and was not dropping $4k on a penske setup right now (which is what I would like to have) and in talking with Lee he mentioned the TCKline setup was actually going to be much better in terms of Koni setups (larger piston) but of course are not made anymore. A local guy had a set he was not using so I picked them up for a reasonable price. I also, since I needed to get new sleeves and springs (old ones were 2.25" springs) went ahead and toyed with a bit softer setup to make the car more usable at local events as opposed to just thinking about flat concrete.

New setup is
Springs: 750F/600R
Shocks: TcKline with stock valving for now
Front Camber: -2.5degrees
Front toe: 0
Rear Camber: -2.6 deg
Rear toe: 0.1 deg toe in (per side)

The car feels good, feels more controlled than the previous setup. While the slightly softer (50 lbs per corner) springs at first felt like it lost a tad of response, after dialing in the compression settings over a number of runs, it feels much better. When the car does get out of shape, I can reign it in more easily as it communicates what it is doing a bit better and is a bit less snappy that before. I am running an AP1, so not an STR killer of course, but it feels better than before an I am anxious to see how it feels in upcoming events.

On the flip side, I do have as set of koni sleeves and Hyperco 2.25" ID springs I will be selling now :P
Old 07-25-2018, 02:57 PM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by engifineer
Front Camber: -2.5degrees
Whats the reasoning for going with such a low amount of neg camber up front?

I went a little softer on my recent STR car(first one was an AP1), and enjoy it immensely more locally and driving it around town.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had revalved Koni yellows and always felt like the car was underdamped and could never get it set up the way I wanted. Spoke with Lee at Koni and he mentioned the high spring rates we run in STR just do not play well with the smaller piston in the yellows. I have a lot going on this year and was not dropping $4k on a penske setup right now (which is what I would like to have) and in talking with Lee he mentioned the TCKline setup was actually going to be much better in terms of Koni setups (larger piston) but of course are not made anymore. A local guy had a set he was not using so I picked them up for a reasonable price. I also, since I needed to get new sleeves and springs (old ones were 2.25" springs) went ahead and toyed with a bit softer setup to make the car more usable at local events as opposed to just thinking about flat concrete.
I haven't had mine revalved, but feel like they do have way too low of compression damping. I am not nearly in as competitive of a setup as you I come to find out when I saw you at a MAC event this spring. Would have said hi if I realized! You think the revalved ones would be good for a GC/koni setup? I have the 500F/450R, but I had way too much front bar too(Karcepts 1.25 set to 10/12), so it was pushing like crazy. Got the bar dialed back, but not super impressed with the Konis. If you turn up the rebound, your teeth fell like they are going to shatter and no difference in the low compression. Got the whole set up for about 1/8 of the cost of Penskes so.... They'll do for now.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by spaded.racer
Whats the reasoning for going with such a low amount of neg camber up front?

I went a little softer on my recent STR car(first one was an AP1), and enjoy it immensely more locally and driving it around town.
That is all I can get (stock adjusters) but also I have not found I needed more up to this point, so I have not changed it. It is on my list, but want to get the new setup nailed down.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by BoboTheMonkey
I haven't had mine revalved, but feel like they do have way too low of compression damping. I am not nearly in as competitive of a setup as you I come to find out when I saw you at a MAC event this spring. Would have said hi if I realized! You think the revalved ones would be good for a GC/koni setup? I have the 500F/450R, but I had way too much front bar too(Karcepts 1.25 set to 10/12), so it was pushing like crazy. Got the bar dialed back, but not super impressed with the Konis. If you turn up the rebound, your teeth fell like they are going to shatter and no difference in the low compression. Got the whole set up for about 1/8 of the cost of Penskes so.... They'll do for now.
If you make it out, definitely come say hi! Will you be attending any upcoming events?

I actually have my revalved konis still. There is another local guy who wants to test them out on his car and may buy them, but if he does not, I would be happy to sell them to you. They will go pretty cheap, since they are well used. In great working order, just the usual beat up "have been rebuilt a couple of times" konis I think they would work well with the rates you are running. But for my setup they were just not ever "right".
Old 07-26-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you make it out, definitely come say hi! Will you be attending any upcoming events?

I actually have my revalved konis still. There is another local guy who wants to test them out on his car and may buy them, but if he does not, I would be happy to sell them to you. They will go pretty cheap, since they are well used. In great working order, just the usual beat up "have been rebuilt a couple of times" konis I think they would work well with the rates you are running. But for my setup they were just not ever "right".
I don't know if I'll make it to any more of the MAC events this year. I normally run with the group out of La Crosse, WI, but I had a friend that couldn't race at any of the events early in the season. We did the MAC event instead. Maybe I'll have to try to get one of the October events in since I can't make our last event down here. That way I can burn the rest of my Bridgestones up . I basically went with the UK spec alignment as a starting point and badly need to get my adjustable ball joints in and get a real alignment. It was better than factory, but still needs a lot more camber. I've gotten much better as a driver, but I also need the car to "get on my level". lol
Old 08-24-2018, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice someone ressurected this thread lol. Used this for setup guidelines while I was prepping my car for STR but I didn't want to bump a 2yr. old thread.

MY00 AP1 - South Jersey Region (SJR) SCCA 2nd in class as of today.

Custom Flatout Suspension ST52 Coilovers Prototype set. Digressive comp. and rebound, probably need a nitrogen recharge; single adjustable. Soft on the clicks. Like 3F, 2R from full soft.
Springs: 7" 700lb/in. F/8" 600lb/in. R
Bars: Karcepts .250" Wall Front @ 3/ NC Miata Rear
Enkei PF01SS 17x9 +60; 255/40r17 RE71R Square
Alignment: Front: -2.7deg, 0 toe, 6.5deg caster .
Rear: -2.7deg, 0.13deg toe in per wheel.

Ride Height: 12.75" Hub Center to Fender f/r

Stock geometry. Drivers side Buddy Club P1 Bucket Seat on Buddy Club Mounts. Didn't weight setup for 25lb STR minimum weight.

Roll Bar soon. 100% stock otherwise other than AP2 front.

Last edited by pat10295; 08-24-2018 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bringing this old thread back to life!

I've been driving my 2005 s2000 on and off daily for 2 years now and love it. I don't see selling it anytime in the foreseeable future so help me set it up as a part time street car, part time autox car.

Question #1 I want to keep the exhaust stock for now but want an aggressive suspension and wheel tire package. If I was going to buy a 9/10ths suspension that's str legal, what is the current consensus?

Redshift Motorsports single adjustable race valved shocks seem very reasonably priced, can they hold their own?

KARCEPTS S2000 SUSPENSION PACKAGE sounds popular but is it worth 2x the price?

which will last longer and will have a lower amortized cost?

Question #2 Anyone have gently used suspension that would fit the bill?

I just bought a set of 17x9 TSW Interlagos and will be buying the ao52’s soon.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:56 AM

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by loudes13
Bringing this old thread back to life!

I've been driving my 2005 s2000 on and off daily for 2 years now and love it. I don't see selling it anytime in the foreseeable future so help me set it up as a part time street car, part time autox car.

Question #1 I want to keep the exhaust stock for now but want an aggressive suspension and wheel tire package. If I was going to buy a 9/10ths suspension that's str legal, what is the current consensus?

Redshift Motorsports single adjustable race valved shocks seem very reasonably priced, can they hold their own?

KARCEPTS S2000 SUSPENSION PACKAGE sounds popular but is it worth 2x the price?

which will last longer and will have a lower amortized cost?

Question #2 Anyone have gently used suspension that would fit the bill?

I just bought a set of 17x9 TSW Interlagos and will be buying the ao52’s soon.

For me karcepts bars is a yes, i feel like its the only one that is quickly adjustable in grid and fits most shocks. Also with so many possible settings, it has a huge range of fine adjustability. I feel like the s2k has a narrow window of getting the balance right, so bars with big range changes from hole to hole aren't helpful. i have a gendron front, and karcepts rear bar. The front gendron i dont feel like i could change it quickly in grid. I also had a little bit of shock contact with the gendron with my motons. i had to bend the arms a little to get it to not contact the shocks.

As for shocks, the s2k is pretty much outclassed in str, i dont think i would invest in baller shocks unless TT is on the cards or you find a used set for a great price. I would pick something that doesnt have rear bump travel issues when lowered. I had ground control make a custom set of rear extended top hats for me to pick up some shock travel in the rear, which made a huge difference for me.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Suspension and Alignment