S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.
View Poll Results: What tires (primary) do you use?
Hankook R-S3 255
45.33%
Hankook R-S3 245
4.00%
Dunlop Star Spec 255
21.33%
Dunlop Star Spec 245
5.33%
Toyo R1R 245
0%
Toyo R1R 255
0%
Other
20.44%
BFG Rival 255
3.11%
BFG Rival 245
0.44%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

STR Prep - Wheels and Tires

Old 11-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I've noticed most of the STR guys run less rear camber than what would be ideal for say driving a road course. Is that for additional traction when out of turns?
Try this thread...

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/904...and-alignment/

Yes, too much camber gives the car uncomfortable feedback under braking, especially while turning. This also hurts the car's ability to launch for Pro Solo and on slow/tight corner exit where the car's weight is quickly shifted. Except for sweepers, I find less camber (-2-3 range) provides more precise feedback and balance with this car than when it was higher. You may find different results. There are a few in STR (specifically Guy Ankeny) that runs his camber around -4 f/r.

-Marc
Old 11-08-2011, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From pure observation, it seems like most the people on track do not run the same big bars upfront that autocrossers do. That large difference in roll bias would require different types of alignment.
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Random1
Added poll question for wheels. If you voted on the tires prior then you will need to delete your vote and vote for both tires and wheels.

If you see that a wheel of significance is missing please post the information.

Thanks for the wheel info Jon (IntegraR0064).
My wheels are missing.

SSR Type-C 17x9 +55 15lbs
Old 11-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by THE_Loser
I am running a 17x8 +45 wheel (team dynamic about 17.5 ish lbs) and 255 hankook rs3.the question is how much performance am i losing out on by not using a 17x9 wheel? is it worth the extra thousand bucks at this point to buy another set of wheels or should i focus my VERY limited funds toward shocks/springs this coming season?
The only issue I see is you potentially not being able to roll enough to keep from destorying fenders/quarters. you're in the same territory I am as far as offset is concerned; I have a non STR legal roll and still get some decent rub from time to time.

*from what I understand* using a narrower wheel exaggerates the softness of the sidewall, so you may lose some responsiveness in quick transitions. Possibly why you have problems with oversteer.

PS - Its ok, i still love you Mat
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 AM

I have a question about running 9" wheels for STR. My S2000 is pretty un-prepped (FSB and Alignment). I was wondering if I can run 9" wheels with 255's on the front on the stock suspension, or is stiffer suspension required to prevent rubbing on the fender liners? I'm looking into getting new wheels and tires for next year, but can't afford to get both wheels & suspension done.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by birdmanjeremy
I have a question about running 9" wheels for STR. My S2000 is pretty un-prepped (FSB and Alignment). I was wondering if I can run 9" wheels with 255's on the front on the stock suspension, or is stiffer suspension required to prevent rubbing on the fender liners? I'm looking into getting new wheels and tires for next year, but can't afford to get both wheels & suspension done.
My personal experience is that the suspension was required to clear the upper A-arms. The angle of the upper A-arm of a taller car with stock suspension brings it closer to the inner edge of the wheel hoop. Mine rubbed at full lock even with the car fairly low (but not as low as others here have stated).

I went 1/4" lower and the rubbing was very much reduced. I don't want to go much lower and risk my fenders now, unless I do springs that are stiffer yet.

If you don't mind never using full lock (not really needed for autocrossing) then you could do it with rolled fenders proper camber I'd bet.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by marks_lude
My personal experience is that the suspension was required to clear the upper A-arms. The angle of the upper A-arm of a taller car with stock suspension brings it closer to the inner edge of the wheel hoop. Mine rubbed at full lock even with the car fairly low (but not as low as others here have stated).

I went 1/4" lower and the rubbing was very much reduced. I don't want to go much lower and risk my fenders now, unless I do springs that are stiffer yet.

If you don't mind never using full lock (not really needed for autocrossing) then you could do it with rolled fenders proper camber I'd bet.
Rolling fenders isn't STR legal though, right?

I'd be keeping the stock rims for daily driving, so the 9" rims would just be for auto-x, therefore not having full lock would probably be ok.

I have heard before that having more negative camber helps with rubbing on the fenders as well. Is this the case? I don't yet have a camber kit, and am running right about -1.8 in the front right now.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Rolling fenders isn't STR legal though, right?
It is legal as long as you don't change the outside profile of the fender. In other words roll the inner lip flat to the fender but don't push the whole fender out. And that's pretty much required to have anywhere close to the ride height people are running.

I have heard before that having more negative camber helps with rubbing on the fenders as well. Is this the case? I don't yet have a camber kit, and am running right about -1.8 in the front right now.
More negative camber tucks the wheel in so it helps with rubbing on the fenders, however you also can have problems on the other side with the a arms and the inner part of the fender and it will hurt that. It's all a balancing act.

I did suspension first so I can't speak as to whether it's possible to run the wheels or not. I would also suspect that it will probably work with a roll and without going to full lock.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:17 PM

If you run a high offset (+60-63) at stock hieght and stock shocks with a swaybar you won't rub. I ran that set-up for my first half a season of autocrossing.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:57 PM

For what it's worth, I ran ap2 rear rims with stock suspension for almost an entire season with great success. I ate one fender tab but that was it. Ap2 rears are only 8.5 though.

Quick Reply: STR Prep - Wheels and Tires