S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

STR setups

Old 09-14-2010, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STR setups

Ok, I think I have a few minutes to rip through this. I figured I’d give a pretty in-depth description of my setup since I think the car worked very well at nationals. Heck, even my co-driver whose first time EVER in my car was at the nationals TnT was able to wheel the car into 5th place. He’s a very good driver, but I really don’t think it was some sort of super-driving by my part to get into 2nd place.

2000 Honda S2000

Setup:
Front:
-255 Hankook 38psi
-17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1 widened to 17x9 68mm offset + 5mm spacer = 63mm total offset
-850 lb/in
-1.5” Ankeny non-adjustable front bar (need to measure as Guy was telling me at nationals it was really 1.44”)
-0 toe
-Max camber (never measured it)
-Caster adjuster set as far outboard as possible (never measured it)
-24.5” from ground to fender
-Penske triple shocks. Unknown valving (came off a T3 car). High and low speed compression at max. Rebound at about half
Rear:
-255 Hankook 38psi
-17x7.5 Enkei RPF-1 widened to 17x9 68mm offset + 5mm spacer = 63mm total offset
-700 lb/in
-Stock MY2000 rear bar
-3/16” toe-in
-Approx 2.2 degrees camber
-Need to measure ride height… will edit my post when I do
-Penske triple shocks. Unknown valving (came off a T3 car). High and low speed compression at max. Rebound at the minimum (4 turns from stiff)

Go-Fast Bits:
-Mugen replica intake, cut for the stock hood with insulation wrapped around it
-Rick’s S2k header + wrap
-v-band resonator back exhaust with hushpower sprint car muffler
-low temp thermostat
-Apexi Neo (gained 10hp peak) dyno below. Dark red = hood closed, Dark green = hood open. Measured at the hubs on a dynapack.
-Spherical shock hats in the rear
-Homemade polyeurethane rubber diff mounts
-Mugen front compliance bushing
-Borrowed an APR GTC-200? Wing from Brian Bell, thanks again Brian!
-longer wheel studs

Maintenance:
-Rod bearings
-Idler
-wheel bearings (necessary to install longer studs)
-Valve adjustment
-Rebuilt back half of trans (horrible bearing scream… front half may be due…)
-Clutch
-Lower mileage prop shaft
-Lower mileage axles (and swapped the cups)
-Lower mileage front control arms from an AP2
-lower mileage passenger engine mount
-Primary and secondary O2 sensors
-new rear toe-links (lower and upper rear control arms are original

Issues:
-I had a Berk HFC for about 4k miles but right before nationals I got a cat inefficiency CEL. I couldn’t get it to go away, so to make the car legal for nats I put the stock cat back on. The emissions CEL issues scare me.
-Fenders. Before getting to Lincoln my driver’s side fender was legit. Passenger side has been damaged by the tire due to daily driving and steep driveways (right hand turn is sharper than left on the street). Left fender got a slight dent at the practice course due to countersteering through the finish and hitting a bump. The car is perfectly capable of autocrossing legally at my right height and camber, but occasionally on the street there are issues. I’m going to try more camber, fresh fenders, and 1mm less spacer (bring net offset to 64mm) and see if that helps.

To-do for next year:
-finish spherical fronts
-shorten rear shocks and lower rear of car (and get shocks dyno’d… maybe revalved)
-experiment with more camber and higher tire pressure
-resolve HFC issues
-fresh head
-lower stock seat
-make my own wing/spoiler

Wow, writing it out like that sounds like I’ve done a lot of work, and I guess I have. But a lot of that stuff has been cheap used parts off craigslist or doing it myself. Including the price of the car, I really don’t have much in the vehicle.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, that's awesome. Thank you.

So for the front sway bar - I assume that's the hollow 3/8" thick bar that you posted about in a thread a year ago that you were using for an AS/BS car?

Also, is "bearing scream" a typical problem?

Finally - any tips or lessons learned for apexi neo tuning? Did you just change fueling or did you change vtec changeover? Out of curiosity, do you feel you've got the apexi tuning figured out or do you still feel like there's untapped potential there?
Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting choice in wheels. How much do those weigh? What made you choose to go that route instead of the other options out there that didn't require customization?
Old 09-14-2010, 02:06 PM

RE: swaybar. Yes, that is the bar I posted about a while ago that Guy Ankeny built for me for stock class.

RE: transmission bearing. Yes, searching the under-the-hood forum, it sounds like early model AP1s have somewhat inadequate transmission oil pumps, so the bearings in the output case tend to starve for oil. The bearing races were pretty torn up when I took it apart. Overfilling the transmission is supposed to help.

RE: Apexi NEO. I think that's all she has. Church Automotive did a fine job with the tuning. We were only able to drop the vtech to 5800rpm with the stock cat. The initial dip was because I had the vtech switch initially set to 5400rpm

RE: wheels. No idea on weight other than pretty light. When I started building the car the only light option was Volks. Modifying the RPF1s was cheaper than Volks and I wasn't about to wait for the 949 wheels. But, now that they are out, the 949s should be fine.
Old 09-14-2010, 02:58 PM

Did you weigh your car at Nationals?
Old 09-14-2010, 04:33 PM

Nah, I weighed it at an event in El Toro. With too much gas and the stock mufflers I was around 2710. I suspect the car ran at nationals around 2660 lbs or so.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:04 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Jreyenga,Sep 14 2010, 07:33 PM
Nah, I weighed it at an event in El Toro. With too much gas and the stock mufflers I was around 2710. I suspect the car ran at nationals around 2660 lbs or so.
So 3k with driver.....
J/k Congrats man, good work.