S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Suggestion on custom apr gtc 200 wing stands

Old 01-05-2014, 11:35 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Suggestion on custom apr gtc 200 wing stands

I am about to install my apr wing and I notice quite a bit of people use the extra 2.5 inch wing risers. Unfortunately this moves the wing farther back and looks kind of odd to have such a long slanted stand

I was thinking of fabbing something up but what would be a good height for the wing? Just 2.5 higher than the current ?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I designed a 7" riser to bring the wing level with the roof. It does come back at a slant but the wing does not extend that much further back in my opinion.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:10 PM

It extenders quite far back like 2-3 inches. Also this wing is not ment to go to the roof like. It is a 3d wing and needs to be lower for the best performance

The wing above looks like extends past the bumper

I'll do a design and post it up
Old 01-07-2014, 03:28 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Optimally a wing should be getting clean air so farther back should be a benefit if the mounting allows the transfer of down force to car with min flex....... my theory. The lower the wing means more than likely less air under it, which I thought was pretty crucial. Again my theory with limited actual experimenting, soon to change.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM

I think it depends on the type of wing. 2d which is flat and 3d which has a change in plane
Old 01-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

There seems to be some confusion here. The purpose of the "3D" wing profile is to have a less aggressive angle of attack in the center to accommodate the flow that is staying attached to the upper rear window and moving downward.

Not to be a dick, but to the OP who thinks the wing needs to be lower for the best performance...

How do you know what the optimal wing height is?

Neither APR or you have performed any sort of analysis or physical testing with this wing on an S2000 at varying heights. There are many factors that go into this including if you have a hardtop or not, which hardtop you have, what angle of attack you are running your wing at, etc... Many people seem to think they can run a CFD analysis in their head. When in fact most people cannot. My suggestion would be to look for people that have messed with their GTC-200 wing height since that's probably the best you are gonna get.

To help you out, Science of Speed has some info on their website about what they have physically tested on one of their cars and it seems to contradict what you are saying. They have some pics of their custom mounts for the GTC-200 as well. Yes this is all hearsay and there is no data but to me this is better than nothing. Good luck.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:30 PM

I am not saying low but I don't think roof line like the 2d wings. If you can get a wing to or above I think its better to have a 2d

For all I know the apr wing with no risers might function better than with

Per apr website

Typically, when there is a mounting-height restriction that requires the airfoil to be mounted below the roofline, it will likely be better to use a 3D airfoil. When there is no mounting-height restriction, either a 2D airfoil mounted above the roofline or a 3D airfoil mounted below the roofline may work.
(Dark Horse Racing's 2007 SCCA ITO entry)
It is definitely not advisable to run a 3D airfoil above the roofline for any type of car. This is especially true with hatchback type cars, where there is no rear deck (or trunklid) to mount the airfoil to. The initial inclination may be to mount any airfoil on the roof, which would probably be a great idea for a 2D airfoil, but it would definitely be bad idea for a 3D airfoil (the 3D airfoil functions in an unbalanced state when it is in free air).
Old 01-07-2014, 11:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This is word for word what Science of Speed said about the GTC-200. "If you are looking for a raised spoiler, this spoiler looks best on a street car. However, it also works the best in our experience for race applications mounted higher out of the slipstream. For racing applications, ScienceofSpeed offers high-mount pedestals that allows the spoiler to be mounted to the rear bumper beam (please contact for details)."
Old 01-08-2014, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are plenty of theories on wings. But in general, a 3d wing will see better results lower than the roof line where the air is more turbulent which enables it to utilize its 3d shape. 2d wings act better higher where the air is cleaner. Remember that the air going underneath the wing is just as important as the air going above it. Race teams have now altered their wing stands to connect to the top of the wing now vs the bottom because they understand the importance of a cleaner flow under the wing which was disturbed by the mounting points that were underneath them.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boyguan
It extenders quite far back like 2-3 inches. Also this wing is not ment to go to the roof like. It is a 3d wing and needs to be lower for the best performance

The wing above looks like extends past the bumper

I'll do a design and post it up
The wing and bumper end at about the same point.