S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Suspension set-up

Old 10-29-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Suspension set-up

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong place to post this. I figure these boards would be most knowledgeable with suspension products.

The car is used as my current daily, but will be seeing a lot of auto cross/track events. I am trying to set up a well balanced ride that will be comfortable on the streets and yet be able to handle the stress on the course. My current bundle of parts I am looking to get are:

T1R B-Max Coilovers(was recommended as a good all around coilover system)
T1R front/rear anti bumsteer kits
T1R half shaft spacers

Items have not been ordered yet. still considering my options before jumping into a purchase.

additionally I am looking to adding:
Cusco front and rear sway bars
front and rear strut bars
spoon x-brace(is this overkill, necessary?)

someone recommended j's roll center adjusters, but I am not sure what they will help benefit in....?

appreciate all the help.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HvRRZ,Oct 29 2007, 04:08 PM
I am trying to set up a well balanced ride that will be comfortable on the streets and yet be able to handle the stress on the course.
Take it back to stock. If you don't like the balance get some KW v3's so you can dial in balance to meet you driving style. Don't waste your money on bars, spend it on seat time and safety.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm,Oct 29 2007, 05:16 PM
Take it back to stock. If you don't like the balance get some KW v3's so you can dial in balance to meet you driving style. Don't waste your money on bars, spend it on seat time and safety.
I'm sorry I just saw that was not to clear in my posting. The car is currently in stock form. The listed items in the first list are what I am going to be ordering. Looking to see if others recommend a similar or different set up before those items come in.

i will edit the first post.

also I have been auto crossing for some time. I figured that autocross would be the best way to learn in preparation for real track events.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AP2s don't need BSK's
Old 10-29-2007, 04:39 PM

What don't you like about the handling characteristics? Are you just looking for a drop in ride height?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm,Oct 29 2007, 05:39 PM
What don't you like about the handling characteristics? Are you just looking for a drop in ride height?
Love the way the car handles in stock forms. I have no complaints. However I would like to get a little more feedback from the car, and eliminate some of the sway/roll over. A lower ride height would help along with the stiffer components.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM

Sway is never an issue for me, even w/ r comps. If you like the balance and just want to go lower, just get some springs. Keep in mind that if you go more than an inch lower from stock, your car will sway more than stock. If you want more steering feel/feedback run wider tires up front, but that will upset the balance which u seem to like.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by eurotrashdtm,Oct 29 2007, 05:52 PM
Sway is never an issue for me, even w/ r comps. If you like the balance and just want to go lower, just get some springs. Keep in mind that if you go more than an inch lower from stock, your car will sway more than stock. If you want more steering feel/feedback run wider tires up front, but that will upset the balance which u seem to like.
Ap1's had stiffer suspension setting from the factory, correct?

Was planning on dropping the car around 1-1.5"s. I figured I would get more sway by dropping the car, but will the stiffer spring rate and stiffer shock settings help eliminate this?
Was going to upgrade rears to 255's and fronts to 225's. Interesting that you recommend only springs. Others have been recommending just going with a good set of coilovers to be able to make adjustments and such.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 PM

Well, adjustable coilovers are good if you need to tune your balance.

For example. I started of with Eibach springs, great product. I loved them but was getting some understeer and wanted increase steering feel. So i went with a nonstaggered setup. With this setup i loved the balance on turn in, very neutral, able to steer with throttle, but was getting exit oversteer. I was then able to justify KW v3's. With the KW's I was able to get the balance where I wanted it. Other mods are TCD bump steer kit (street version) and re enforcing the front upper a-arm mounting points, any fab shop should be able to do this for a cheap. Thats all you really need for a street/weekend setup.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:20 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're going to get every opinion you can imagine on this topic from "spend it on seat time" to "get ohlins/sachs/motons or nothing".

It is a fact that the stock suspension is pretty good. Better than any of the cheap coilovers. If you do get coilovers, and I'm not going to suggest that you do (or don't), at least get a mid-grade set. KW V3 should be the minimum. With 10 kg/mm springs you should be ok on the stock anti-sway bars.

Quick Reply: Suspension set-up