S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tein CS, Volks, and rubbing!

Old 08-18-2003, 12:03 PM
KLN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tein CS, Volks, and rubbing!

ever since i lowered my car with the TEIN CS to about 1.5 finger gap all around, my front tires rub once in awhile. the fronts rub when i hit large dips or railroad tracks at like 40mph...they also rub when i take sharp turns at semi-high speeds where the car tilts to one side.

my setup is:

tein cs coilovers
-set on firmest all around
-1.5 finger gap all around

17" volk ce28n's
-front 17x7.5 +50offset
-rears 17x9 +63offset

tires
fronts 225/45/17
rear 255/40/17

i got an alignment and everything, the only thing i can think of is since the spring rates are similar to stocks, the coilovers can't handle the drop i have and are too soft for aggressive driving. people have told me to roll and flare my fenders, but i REALLY don't want to do that.

if anyone has any other suggestions please help me out

here's some pictures to see the wheels and drop

Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The offset on the fronts is too low. While the shocks and springs may be too soft for as little suspension travel you are affording them, the front wheels simply don't fit.

Options you might try listed in subjective order. Starting with good ideas and ending with some really dumb ones(combine for bonus effects):

Get new front wheels with proper offsets
Raise the car back up to afford more suspesion travel
Switch the front tires to a 205 section width
Roll the fenders
increase negative camber drastically
replace springs with something offering triple the current spring rate/load capacity (don't forget new shocks)
fabricate non-compliant suspension (make it all shorter)
grind 5-10mm of metal off the back of the wheels
grind 5mm from the hub of the rotor

Outside of getting wheels with the proper offsets, you are simply treating symptoms and not the problem. However, many folks run with CE28N's without too many problems. The fronts rubbing is a fairly common problem though. The most cost effective solution would be rolling the fenders. If you don't want to do that, try a 215 section width tire and another degree of negative camber.

Its tough to tell how much negative camber you are running because of the lens you used in the close-up photo. In the distance photo the car doesn't appear to have any noticable negative camber. Most any of the listed changes will affect the handling of the car.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:18 PM

I haven't heard of people having rubbing problems with the CE28ns with 225s up front, but maybe I missed something.

Mine rub, but I have 235s in the front.

How much negative camber are you running?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:49 PM

Yes this is indeed interesting...

This rubbing you mention... Is it something you only hear or is it something you also see on the outer corner of your tire. If its not visible on the corner of your tire then you should take the front right wheel off and take a look at the fender liner, chances are you'll see a bunch of rubbing marks on the liner that sits directly above the top of the tire. Only two ways to fix this and it may require a bit of both to eliminate it. They are to raise the car a bit and increase the spring rate on your coil overs.

I suffer from this problem currently but its not bad enough for me to bother doing anything about. If i do something about it it'll involve cutting out the portion of the frame that the tire is rubbing against.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Dave, what about a bumpstop? Thats what I have thought about adding. I don't get it too much. But I'd rather bump on rubber in the shock than have the wheel hit the top.

-Ry
Old 08-18-2003, 05:40 PM

Hmmm... good point... I keep on forgetting that with our Moton and JRZ shocks we dont have bump stops.
I'd be worried though that hitting a bumpstop would cause immidiate understeer. But then again from what i understand Sphinkter gets a huge push when his tires start to rub. He talked about nearly flying out of the bowl at SOWS due to this. I had some rubbing there but it didnt effect my line.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:42 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd rather have my shocks hit a bumpstop, than to have the rotating wheel hit the frame.

Did you see the pics of wills car? he's got to be an inch lower than us.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:07 PM
KLN

thanks for the info guys...the rubbing isn't that bad though on under those conditions does it rub.

i think i'm just gonna wait until these tires go bald and see abour either raising the car a little bit or getting skinnier tires in the front.
Old 08-18-2003, 06:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've run those CE28Ns and same size tires with both stock suspension and with the JRZs lowered 1/2-3/4 inch up front and have never had rubbing on the track (am I driving too slow?), so I think you have it too low. FWIW, front camber is usually -1 to -2 degrees, and the front springs on the JRZs are 450 lb/in.
Old 08-18-2003, 09:59 PM

Has your car ever been in an accident?

The offsets are fine... something's up.

Quick Reply: Tein CS, Volks, and rubbing!