S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Testing out G-loc brake pads

Old 06-12-2017, 06:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Let me put it this way. Why would I not want to run R16 all around? Why would a lessor pad in the rear be better for my set up? With all else the same, I could see running a lessor pad in the rear (Maybe?) with a non stag tire set up. But im running a stock biased tire stagger. Are the OEM pad compounds staggered?

I made the mistake of running HP+ in the past thinking I would be able to use these dual duty street/track. Unfortunately they are compromised in both environments. So now i'm looking for for a dedicated track pad. Sticking to OEM/Stoptech pads for the street. I miss the bite of the HP+ on the street, but not all the dust and noise and increased rotor wear.
I run Hawk DTC 60's square street and track. ( to lazy to swap pads. haha!) I don't understand the reasoning behind going staggered pads if everything else is square. I am happy with my choice of DTC 60's on all four corners and believe its just a personal preference on pad staggering.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:25 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Let me put it this way. Why would I not want to run R16 all around? Why would a lessor pad in the rear be better for my set up? With all else the same, I could see running a lessor pad in the rear (Maybe?) with a non stag tire set up. But im running a stock biased tire stagger. Are the OEM pad compounds staggered?

I made the mistake of running HP+ in the past thinking I would be able to use these dual duty street/track. Unfortunately they are compromised in both environments. So now i'm looking for for a dedicated track pad. Sticking to OEM/Stoptech pads for the street. I miss the bite of the HP+ on the street, but not all the dust and noise and increased rotor wear.

it all all depends on driver taste and his feel. Of course u can run r16 all around. But it all depends on how u like ur brAkes to preform. Maybe u would like the r16 all around as a better setup than the r12 rear. The best way to figure this out is u test what works best for u. Maybe u need r16 square cuz ur rear tires are massive than the fronts so it might help U
Old 06-12-2017, 07:27 AM

V6 donut. Yes. All on personal preference. I personally am thinking of running r16 compounds all around.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:55 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

G-Loc is Carbotech.

Edit: refuted on the next page
Old 06-12-2017, 07:57 AM

True^ but more revised and slightly better compounds imo.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:06 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Singh_snisen
it all all depends on driver taste and his feel. Of course u can run r16 all around. But it all depends on how u like ur brAkes to preform. Maybe u would like the r16 all around as a better setup than the r12 rear. The best way to figure this out is u test what works best for u. Maybe u need r16 square cuz ur rear tires are massive than the fronts so it might help U
That's why I'm asking, someone with experience to chime in. I don't have the time or resources to test what pad bias I like best, I have very limited experience with race pads. I just want the most effective balance. Someone should be able to offer some insight. Its not a particularly hard question and I understand the preference aspect, but need to understand what the thinking is so I can make a more informed decision for myself. Plenty of experience to draw from here on s2ki. I mean, brakes are a pretty cut and dry thing unlike other aspects of the car, either they most effectively stop the car or they don't, which is where a proper bias comes in, rather then a preferred bias. feel and initial bite is more preferential and not to be confused with bias, right? Is there a actual brake bias change from 16R to 12R, or is it just bite/modulation/feel? Again, I have no real experience running dedicated track pads to draw from how they behave, but I understand the principal if its explained. What I don't want is to have inconsistent brakes front to rear throughout the day because one set of pads is crapping out before the other set and having the bias change on me, causing the handling at the limit to change, never knowing what to expect going into the next corner. If a staggered brake pad on this car with a set up like mine is recommended to maintain consistency then great, if not then I don't want to run it. I'm just trying to get down to the mechanics of what a staggered pad is achieving.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-12-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:36 AM

Talk to Danny at G Loc but I think u already did? Ur running massive tires so I think u should be able to handle r16 square. I would have tested this setup for u but blown trans when I was testing the r16 , I definitely needed a better rear pad as my fronts wer doing all the work. I personally am thinking of running r16 square. Btw only 30% of the brake psi goes to the rear so I see y not run the r16 in the rear.

Main reason for staggering the pads is to enter/ exit the corner faster. The best way to test this is to test wat works best for u but like u said we are all broke and don't have the resources to spend 1000$ on pads just to find the best setup.

Therfore re I recommend the r16 square for u junky as ur tires are wayyyy wider than mine and would handle the brake gs no problem.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:17 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

We run different brake compounds front and rear on the track because of weight transfer during braking. The stock calipers were designed with stock performance in mind. Add big rubber up front and/or r-compound tires and you get much more weight transfer during max braking. With less weight on the rear tires you need less brake back there.

The ABS system will cover up improper brake balance but ask the S2k race car drivers running without ABS if they run the same brake compound front and rear. They typically need less brake pad bite in the rear and need a pad made for cooler operating temperature.
Old 06-12-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

robrob is 100% correct... i do have abs still but have noticed running same pads front to rear the car is actually extremely loose under braking. i run a highly aggressive pad up front and a very neutral pad in the rear and the balance feels ten folds better and allow for trail braking with out losing it
Old 06-12-2017, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Thanks for the added input on the pad bias question guys. It seems like either option could be a good one for me, but there is quite a bit of different angles to this with my car set up and my late braking habits that may favor one over the other. I do not want to over tax the rear stock brakes at the end of the day, so maybe a lessor R12 pad back there is the answer even though I'm running more rear tire then up front. I tend to ride the line on entry oversteer, so having slight more brake bias up front may be the better of the two scenarios to help with stability if I end up overshooting and have to rely on a little trail braking. I just want to try and maximize my braking ability of the car, not giving up stopping distance which is why I was leaning towards same pad front and rear with my staggered tires. When I was running HP+ front and rear on stock brakes, I never felt the rear ABS kick in, only the front, but felt very stabile under braking. Probably leaving a little on the table, but the stability is worth it so id like to stick to that generally.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-12-2017 at 11:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Testing out G-loc brake pads