S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Thinking of trying auto cross, have a quick question.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of trying auto cross, have a quick question.

I've been thinking of going to a local solo event. I've been reading through the rules, and reading some threads around here, and am trying to determine what class I would be placed in. My AP1 only has two mods, an AEM v2 intake, and a set of AP2 rims. These were on the car when I bought them and I don't have the stock items to put back on. If I'm reading the rules right I'll have to enter a higher class, like street prepared, because some cutting was required for the intake. The rule talked about cutting "structure"' and while I don't consider cutting up a plastic splash shield as "structure" I'm guessing that the rules think differently than I do.

Obviously, as a novice I won't be competitive any time soon. I'm just concerned that I will be in a class where I will have no chance of ever being competitive because of a couple of mods. I'm sure it will still be fun, but to be constantly outmatched would grow old quickly.

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:34 PM

Most local groups won't care about a cai for str. If you don't intend to mod to str class I would recommend buying the stock parts and running rtr.

For now, though, just get out there and have fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by limbo
Most local groups won't care about a cai for str. If you don't intend to mod to str class I would recommend buying the stock parts and running rtr.

^this... i wouldn't worry about running a class. If the organizers have Time only (TO) or X runs, i would suggest you do that and just worry about driving. The competitiveness will either come out or not. By that time you will have a better idea of what direction you want to take your car and what class you want to place yourself in.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:11 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What region? Iowa? There are a couple of Iowa locals on this site, they're a nice group of guys / gals!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:21 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Step #1 Accept the fact you will have you ass handed to you by everyone.
Step #2 Once you accept #1, you will realize you are out there just to have fun. So go have fun And learn to be a better driver of course!

Speed and skill will come with time and practice. But for your first time out, just go out to learn the scene and have fun of course. Oh, bring sunblock... sunburns are no fun.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

And bring water to drink
Old 03-01-2013, 06:05 AM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by limbo

Yup. I ran STR for a year with a Fujita CAI at my local SCCA club, and the tech inspectors just said "nobody's gonna complain until you start winning."

Nobody complained.
Old 03-01-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, I would recommend registering in STR. Even if you get stomped on at first, it is still fun to be in a competitive class with other drivers versus just running seat-time-only. Your local club probably has a "novice" sub-class that you can register under. This will help you see how you stack up against other noobies. I am not a serious autocrosser, meaning I don't plan on attending national events and I am 100% out there to have fun with my car. Therefore, my mantra is that I mod my car how I want to mod my car, and whatever class I fall into then that is the class I run in. But like others have said, no one is going to care that you had to snip out 0.3 ounces of plastic for your CAI.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:04 AM

Yep. What everyonr else have said. Just go and have fun. No need to worry about what class your car is in.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:11 AM

What others said. Register in STR. Enjoy.

While technically illegal, and you'd lose a protest over it, nobody in their right mind would bother protesting at a local level over such a little thing, especially when the remainder of your car is unprepared. If you decide to go into the deep end and build your car for the class, just fix it during the course of your build (early on, preferably).

Quick Reply: Thinking of trying auto cross, have a quick question.