S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Track pad life is really bad

Old 10-23-2013, 01:38 PM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts
Default Track pad life is really bad

I am looking for some recommendations on what direction I should go with the brakes on my track car.

On my last track car I always used carbotechs. I had ducting and I would guess they lasted about 2.5 - 3 track days for XP10/8s or RP2s/8s

That car was totaled by a deer so now. I used the same carbotech RP2s/XP8s my CR w/ no ducting and they also did not last long. So I moved up to XP12s/8s not a great stagger, but 8s for the rear was all I had in a pinch and they lasted less than two track days (about 7 sessions), most of them not even complete sessions before the backing plate on one side welded its self to the piston because I ran out of pad.

So it looks like I have two options:

Improve the OEM kit:
Two piece rotors and ducting

Pros: Cheaper than option 2

Cons: Pads probably still won't last that long

or

Get the Willwood Superlite 6 piston kit with ducting - Only kit that might fit under my 17x9+63 wheels (don't want to change wheels)

Pros: Pads should last much longer

Cons: Lots more money and would probably cost me points if I decide to go into time attack or something competitive.

So I'm trying to decide which route to take, anyone have any advice? Is my pad use especially excessive, if so any ideas why? I do some trail braking, but I don't ride the brakes too much I don't think, but I have no confidence in these stock brakes out on the track.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

I am a believer in just going for the BBK. Eat the points and cost up front but you make it all up over time with interest.
Old 10-23-2013, 02:55 PM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Ducting your brakes will help but a big brake kit will pay for itself in longer lasting pads and rotors but check to see if your wheels will fit around the calipers. I added a bbk and now my wheels with Hoosiers don't fit.
Old 10-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BBK (though I have zero feedback to offer on that kit specifically, either positive or negative)
Old 10-23-2013, 05:29 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

+1 on ducting as Robrob said

also check the condition of your caliper, piston and guide pins, you might be in need of a rebuild

I don't know what rotors you are using but consider better vented rotors and pads with more bite, you'll be able to break with more force in a shorter distance.

I was chewing up xp10/8 in 3 track days, rebuilding as well and crack rotors each weekend.
Old 10-23-2013, 05:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ducting with OEM equipment & go from there.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:27 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
Ducting with OEM equipment & go from there.
I had just ducting on my old S and it helped a little, but I was still eating though pads and cracking rotors. I'm just wondering how much two piece rotors will help pad life.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by gptoyz
+1 on ducting as Robrob said

also check the condition of your caliper, piston and guide pins, you might be in need of a rebuild

I don't know what rotors you are using but consider better vented rotors and pads with more bite, you'll be able to break with more force in a shorter distance.

I was chewing up xp10/8 in 3 track days, rebuilding as well and crack rotors each weekend.
I've used multiple calipers on multiple cars, pad life still sucks, so I know its not the calipers.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:14 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
I had just ducting on my old S and it helped a little, but I was still eating though pads and cracking rotors. I'm just wondering how much two piece rotors will help pad life.
Have you installed the WASP kit or are you holding off on installing it for your CR? Reason I ask is I'd be curious to see how it fares, especially for you since you go through pads so quickly. I wonder if there's a sizeable/actual difference between having ducts hit the face of the rotor vs. being ducted towards the center.
Old 10-24-2013, 06:58 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by SlowTeg
Originally Posted by goldenfri' timestamp='1382621276' post='22843898
Have you installed the WASP kit or are you holding off on installing it for your CR? Reason I ask is I'd be curious to see how it fares, especially for you since you go through pads so quickly. I wonder if there's a sizeable/actual difference between having ducts hit the face of the rotor vs. being ducted towards the center.
I haven't, my plans changed and I picked up a very cheap AP1 to turn into a track car. So the kit will be going on that car for next year. I expect, I might get around 0.5 -1 more day with the ducting. That isn't really enough for me.

Quick Reply: Track pad life is really bad