S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Trailer question

Old 05-01-2001, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read all of the posts I could find about trailers and was left with one question. Is it worth getting the 12" tires vs. the 8" tires on the utilitiy trailers that northern tool etc. sells. I do plan on taking some "longer" trips and often in the 70-80 mph range. Is there going to be a noticable difference in reliability between the two. I suspect the answer is yes, but whould love to hear first hand.

Also http://www.hitch-web.com has the Dalan hitch for $275. Has anyone found a better price on this hitch?

Thanks,
Ole
White/Red
Old 05-01-2001, 12:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Ole, I don't know the answer to your wheel size question, but let's get together on this one. I'd like to do the same thing with a trailer.

Have you seen this site? http://www.southsporttrailers.com/track.html

[Edited by CoralDoc on 05-01-2001 at 01:10 PM]
Old 05-01-2001, 12:31 PM

I used to tow my trailer with 12-inch wheels (like the 4x4-foot trailers Northern sells now) behind my Miata at speeds up to 80mph for as long as I could stand to go without a break. With a 300-to-500-pound load (4 wheel/tire combos for the car, a spare for the trailer and a pickup-style box full of tools and other stuff), the biggest problem was that the trailer would try to "wag" the car over railroad tracks and road irregularities. (Think "dog.") In addition, it was easy to get the trailer a little bit airborne over big bumps. The eight-inch tires magnify this effect, and they're not as good in the wet, either. So, for your own comfort, I'd get the 12s. I never heard of anyone having trouble with the eights, but that may be because everyone I knew used the 12s.

Also, I would get heavier-duty safety chains than the ones that come with the trailer, and I would recommend repacking the trailer's wheel bearings yourself to make sure there's enough good-quality grease in them. Several people I know complained about the wheel bearings overheating due to a lack of grease from the factory; mine were only about half-packed with what looked like ear wax until I repacked them. Finally, on your first couple of trips I'd stop every 25 or 30 miles to check the wheel bearing temperatures (a few times) until you're convinced they're okay; if the wheel bearing caps are warm to the touch, that's normal; if the caps are too hot to touch, you have a problem
Old 05-01-2001, 12:39 PM

Originally posted by CoralDoc
Have you seen this site? http://www.southsporttrailers.com/track.html

Yup,
Sent an email to them to check pricing, but I think I am going to go with one of the Northern trailers. Here is my thinking. One the cheap trailers are well... cheap. Two the S2000 is my only car so now I can go by a TV or chair if I ever get the urge. The only thing that drives me crazy is paying more for the hitch than the trailer!

Ole
White/Red
Old 05-01-2001, 12:45 PM

Thanks Spa2K! That makes that decision easy. Can't you buy some kind of hub that you can hook a grease gun to that will pack your bearings? Has anyone tried these? I don't suspect maintaining the bearings will be hard, but these could make it easier if they work well.

Ole
White/Red
Old 05-01-2001, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coral-

Funny you should mention SouthSport. Check out what was waiting on me when I got home from S2K Days!

Rear View

Front View

I'm more than impressed with the quality fit/finish. I've not mounted my hitch yet so I don't have a real review other than that. I did pulled it behind by XTerra from the shipper and didn't even know it was there. Couldn't see it either! Stopped a couple of times on the way home just to make sure I hadn't lost it.

If your interested the people at SouthSport are great to work with. Ask for Nancy and tell her Mack from Knoxville sent you!

If you've got more questions shoot. I'll post more picks when I get the hitch mounted and get the trailer out of the garage!
Old 05-01-2001, 01:15 PM

Nice trailer, Mack! You sure buy all the best goodies... post pictures of the jack, will ya? I'm going through withdrawals! Have you noticed the difference with the swaybar yet?

BTW... here's the only way to go!
Old 05-01-2001, 01:27 PM

Jason-

I've got to have all the good "stuff" to compensate for my lack of driving ability! You know before you took me on that little run on the Dragon I actually though I new what I was doing!

I've only driven 10-15 miles since I got back but my first reaction is the Mugen bar is awesome. Steering is much sharper. The front of the car corners much flatter, for lack of a better word. Can't wait to get out to the AutoX and relearn how to drive the car I think going with the Mugen for now was the right move. I'll work my way into an adjustable bar when the are available.
Old 05-01-2001, 01:28 PM

Oh and if your talkin' about the fighter in the background I'd have to agree!
Old 05-01-2001, 01:38 PM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Mack,

So you got a ride from Jason too.....I thought I was driving the Dragon pretty decently until I got in the car with him. In fact, I was going to run it a couple more times until I did get a ride from him....

Well anyway, I see that you have an Insight and have some questions regarding that car. 1). How do you like it, overall review that is? 2). Is it a decent daily driver, do you feel safe in it? 3). How does it complement the S2K in your eyes? 4). Any other info you want to pass along on the Insight, I'm listening?

BTW, the yellow/blk console cover and shift boot cover looks HOT!!!! That was the combination I was thinking of doing in my blk/blk, until you bought them. I was the one that then ended up doing the silver/blk combination...which I like just as much.

Quick Reply: Trailer question