S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Transporting Car out West, Track Tour

Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting Car out West, Track Tour

My buddy from highschool just switched jobs from Detroit to LA

Hes a big track guy too with two 944s, and hes convinced me to come out there, and after seeing how much fun you guys have, I figured, what the hell.

I have two questions...

First, I would rather transport my car out there than drive it. Anyone know who can do this for a fair price, or has anyone had it done?

Second, what would be the best time to come? I was thinking of Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar. ish and Id be there for about two weeks. I HAVE to run Laguna, but also wanted to hit up a couple more tracks. Id really like to do a speed ventures or something... basically, id like to run with you guys at least once, but would like to get in 3 or 4 track days in those two weeks.

Whats your all advice, I know its a little soon, but I wana start planning, and I cant stop thinking about running Laguna!
Old 08-12-2006, 09:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Aug 12 2006, 10:00 PM
I have two questions...

First, I would rather transport my car out there than drive it. Anyone know who can do this for a fair price, or has anyone had it done?

Second, what would be the best time to come? I was thinking of Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar. ish and Id be there for about two weeks. I HAVE to run Luguna, but also wanted to hit up a couple more tracks. Id really like to do a speed ventures or something... basically, id like to run with you guys at least once, but would like to get in 3 or 4 track days in those two weeks.

Whats your all advice, I know its a little soon, but I wana start planning, and I cant stop thinking about running Luguna!
WTF is "Luguna"?

There are companies that specialize in transporting cars. Most of the reputable ones manage to do it without problems almost all the time. There is always a chance of "issues" though.

It would probably be cheaper to rent a car. There are usually folks looking to rent out their track or race cars in order to help pay the bills. You break it, you buy it....

I was at Laguna in early November a few years ago and had perfect conditions. I was at THill this past April and had rain more than half the time over the three days I was there.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:16 PM

I edited my first post for the spelling mistakes.... (at least some of them)

I dont really want to rent a car... Ill pay the extra money, or drive out there to use my car... thats the whole point (gota check off that box)
Old 08-12-2006, 10:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's great that you are planning to bring your car out here. Looking forward to meeting you if schedules work out. If you're going to be up north for Laguna then try to get to Sears and/or Thunderhill also, probably the three best tracks. Willow Springs big track way south would be special also if you can get there. Buttonwillow, which is in between, is very popular but has many different configurations. The SpeedVentures 2007 schedule is only now being developed, but you can contact Aaron Bitterman (Aaron@speedventures.com) to see if he has any tracks booked as yet. There are several other tracking organizations also, and there used to be a site with a master schedule of all the tracks and organizations but it doesn't seem to be working (track-days.org).
Old 08-12-2006, 10:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Heres a few more tips distilled from the experiences of PNWers driving down to CA for track events:

1) You can probably borrow tools if you have to, but bring parts! Rotors and pads are musts, as well as anything you have ever broken while at a track day. Brake fluid and oil are good ideas too. Bring whatever tools you are most likely to use, if you can.

2) Make sure to clarify all the tech inspection rules for all the track organizers before you go. Everybody is a little bit different, and it would suck to find that you didn't make tech.

3) Don't crash.

4) Have fun.

5) Meet people. If you can, meet them before showing up at the track. Be social.

6) Have a plan, just in case you screw up on #3.

7) Don't spend all your time worrying about whether your tires will make it another session, or whether your pads are about shot. Show up with new stuff if you can, or at least with lots of margin. Use the iffy set of tires at your home track, where it doesn't ruin your whole vacation if you only get two sessions in before they cord.

8) Many of the tracks have turn-by-turn walkthroughs available. Search the web. Read them through at home, and then read them again in your motel room the night before. Watch a video or even play the track on a video game if you can.

9) Try to get a local to ride with you for your first session. Better yet, try to ride with a local before your first session. There's nothing like seeing the line for real.

10) Don't worry about setting a new track record. Keep #4 in mind. Keep #3 in mind.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Cale, drive the car- ship the track wheels/tires. Have a very streetable alignment to save tires/gas and then have a track alignment done out there.
Old 08-13-2006, 07:50 PM

I wasnt even thinking of the alingment... good idea. im gona need a new set then anyway, I was thinking of just taking an extra set of wheels and buying tires out there with the track alingment.
Old 08-13-2006, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by mikegarrison,Aug 13 2006, 01:58 AM
Heres a few more tips distilled from the experiences of PNWers driving down to CA for track events:

1) You can probably borrow tools if you have to, but bring parts! Rotors and pads are musts, as well as anything you have ever broken while at a track day. Brake fluid and oil are good ideas too. Bring whatever tools you are most likely to use, if you can.

2) Make sure to clarify all the tech inspection rules for all the track organizers before you go. Everybody is a little bit different, and it would suck to find that you didn't make tech.

3) Don't crash.

4) Have fun.

5) Meet people. If you can, meet them before showing up at the track. Be social.

6) Have a plan, just in case you screw up on #3.

7) Don't spend all your time worrying about whether your tires will make it another session, or whether your pads are about shot. Show up with new stuff if you can, or at least with lots of margin. Use the iffy set of tires at your home track, where it doesn't ruin your whole vacation if you only get two sessions in before they cord.

8) Many of the tracks have turn-by-turn walkthroughs available. Search the web. Read them through at home, and then read them again in your motel room the night before. Watch a video or even play the track on a video game if you can.

9) Try to get a local to ride with you for your first session. Better yet, try to ride with a local before your first session. There's nothing like seeing the line for real.

10) Don't worry about setting a new track record. Keep #4 in mind. Keep #3 in mind.
good advice
Old 08-14-2006, 05:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 3312DC,Aug 13 2006, 01:00 AM
Second, what would be the best time to come? I was thinking of Dec-Jan-Feb-Mar. ish and Id be there for about two weeks.
Also, forgot to mention that by January and on into late March, weather across the mid-to-upper Midwest can be dicey. You'd want to take the southern-most route should the forecast not be favorable.

Then there's the consideration of how many days will be lost to the drive out and back. Personally, I love driving across the US- done it several times. In your case, however, this doesn't seem to be the priority; tracking is. Because of this, I'd say have the car transported out there. This gives you more potential track time, negates bad weather, saves on tires, and least of my concerns, it doesn't add 6k miles to the odometer.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For transport talk to Intercity.

Quick Reply: Transporting Car out West, Track Tour