S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Tubular Chromoly Lower A-Arms

Old 05-30-2007, 08:51 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Just sayin', I know for a fact that tubular arms being made for another car by another aftermarket supplier are not suitable for road or track.

People should be aware that when replacing engineered CRITICAL STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS with aftermarket pieces that there is a risk involved. It's fundamentally different from throwing on an aftermarket strut brace or sway bars.

I don't care who the parts are from, I'd feel better knowing that professional aero or automotive structural engineers had analyzed them and/or that valid durability testing (real-world or accurately simulated usage) had been conducted. I already know this about the stock parts.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of gettin a set of these IKEYA FORMULA

i believe they are made of aluminum, have spherical bearings as well as full adjustability, including roll center

upper arms are ~$700US, lower arms ~ $1200US

what do u guys think?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:04 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ikea?
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 AM
Administrator

[QUOTE=ZDan,May 30 2007, 08:51 AM] People should be aware that when replacing engineered CRITICAL STRUCTURAL COMPONENTS with aftermarket pieces that there is a risk involved.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Somewhat reassuring Although "knowing suspension" doesn't *necessarily* imply knowledge of structural design/analysis.

I'm not saying they don't know their stuff, I don't know one way or the other. The ONLY reason I bring this up is because I know of multiple damaged cars (no damaged drivers fortunately) due to one company's aftermarket suspension components. As far as I know that company is still selling those parts, too >

Not the kind of mods to be taken lightly is all.

If BMW NA contracted them to design and fabricate structural suspension components for their race cars, that is certainly a tremendous vote of confidence.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM

ive actually been itching to pick up those IKEYA FORMULA to see the quality and build of them and have them tested at the track. just haven't had the spare $$$ to do it
Old 05-30-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

case and point you guys think because they're from japan they have to be good.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:00 PM

actually i know their products are good because all of the companies that use them in japan and they only build them for the race cars. the guys i buy ikeya from all use the prodcuts and back it up very well

already been tested and proven over there. i carry their line and exited to run their products in the near future, but its just something not many people are willing to spend the money on.

by all means im not debating if jdm is better than tc designs. just thought id add input since someone posted about them

tc designs is actually right down the street from us and they do great work and build grerat quality products
Old 05-31-2007, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vstryker,May 30 2007, 12:47 PM

I'm not sure I get the four bolts thing on these arms. I assume the idea is that the plate slides horizontally to let you adjust camber easily. But are the four bolts the only thing holding them in place?

Vertically compressing two plates doesn't seem like a great way to fasten them against the horizontal loads those a-arms will recieve What am I missing? Are the mating surfaces notched or something?
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by vstryker,May 30 2007, 10:47 AM
i was thinking of gettin a set of these IKEYA FORMULA

i believe they are made of aluminum, have spherical bearings as well as full adjustability, including roll center

upper arms are ~$700US, lower arms ~ $1200US

what do u guys think?
Where did you get your pricing from? They all seem wrong.

Quick Reply: Tubular Chromoly Lower A-Arms