S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Weeping oil cooler lines

Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Weeping oil cooler lines

Gents/Ladies,

Is it common to consistently have oil residue on these fittings? Anything to be concerned about? It be by the oil filter sandwich. I don't have any drips on the floor, but when I put my fingers to it, there will be a minute amount of oil on my finger from there. Got a track weekend coming up at the end of this week.

Old 01-15-2018, 09:24 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Yeah, not uncommon in my experience. You can try some Teflon tape. That's all I got for you.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yeah, not uncommon in my experience. You can try some Teflon tape. That's all I got for you.
What cooler system do you use? My is a mishimoto which I have run 13 track days.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:00 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
What cooler system do you use? My is a mishimoto which I have run 13 track days.
I don't run one anymore currently. Used to run a Mishimoto adapter and 10an fittings. But have found the earl fittings these coolers use as well as other oil fed components like superchargers use, all tend to weep for me at some point. Its annoying.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Never put Teflon tape on a flare fitting—the tape will creep and the fitting can lose torque and loosen.

If a flare fitting is leaking when it’s been properly tightened, it’s a surface finish/interface issue. You can disassemble the fitting and verify that there aren’t any burrs on the interface surface, and even lap it if you’re feeling brave. Generally, especially with cheap AN fittings, the problem is a flare mismatch in concentricity or angle. There’s not much that can be done there. If the fitting is tight, it’s not going to leak any more than it already is.
Old 01-15-2018, 10:33 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

feels bad when you spend big bucks on a oil cooler system and it leaks like a cheap one
Old 01-15-2018, 10:44 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a sandwich plate walk loose and almost cost the whole car on track. I won't run one anymore. I intended to cool the water going into the factory cooler by use of an extra radiator. Only reason I haven't done i yet is I haven't sat down and figured out which was in and which was out for the water into the factory cooler on the K series.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thepoi

Never put Teflon tape on a flare fitting—the tape will creep and the fitting can lose torque and loosen.

If a flare fitting is leaking when it’s been properly tightened, it’s a surface finish/interface issue. You can disassemble the fitting and verify that there aren’t any burrs on the interface surface, and even lap it if you’re feeling brave. Generally, especially with cheap AN fittings, the problem is a flare mismatch in concentricity or angle. There’s not much that can be done there. If the fitting is tight, it’s not going to leak any more than it already is.

these don’t always work for fixing bad flares but my personal experience they’ve worked well for me. I’ve gotten to point of placing these while doing initial install just to make sure it’s all good. AN fitting crush washers

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3202
The following users liked this post:
rmerchant3 (01-16-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by usafstud
contact them. Their customer service is usually pretty awesome
Old 01-15-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kfinesse
these don't always work for fixing bad flares but my personal experience they've worked well for me. I've gotten to point of placing these while doing initial install just to make sure it's all good. AN fitting crush washers

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...p?Product=3202
Thanks for posting. I've never had issue with quality matching fittings, but good to know for the future.

Quick Reply: Weeping oil cooler lines