S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Went to a mini road course...

Old 06-25-2006, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Went to a mini road course...

this is the layout we ran... question is regarding the turn on the left of the map... its a fast sweeper that turns into a decreasing radius turn...with a negative bank...

thing is... on the approach... its just long enough to get into 3rd gear and hold 3rd for just over 1 second at WOT... at this point the sweeper will begin...exit obivously requires 2nd gear...

whats the best way to handle something like this? forgo the little time in 3rd? stay in 2nd and brake on the straight to the max apex speed at the far end of the sweeper?

Old 06-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So hard to say but you are probably better off staying in 3rd and tracking out wide on the sweeper and downshifting to 2nd before turning into the bus stop at the bottom. Unless there is data I can't say how fast any of it is. There looks to be two important bits; holding your speed for as long as possible on the "top" straight and getting a good exit out of the bus stop onto the "bottom" straight. The exit of the sweeper and the entrance of the bus stop aren't going to get you much time so I'd suggest sacrificing those. Just a guess obviously.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by cthree,Jun 25 2006, 06:32 PM
So hard to say but you are probably better off staying in 3rd and tracking out wide on the sweeper and downshifting to 2nd before turning into the bus stop at the bottom.
the thing is ... on the actual track... after the sweeper begins... at no time is the car pointed straight till you enter the chicane ... so holding 3rd and slowing/lifting/braking wasnt stable...and your going too fast to complete the sweeper at 3rd gear speed...
Old 06-26-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman1,Jun 26 2006, 12:42 PM
the thing is ... on the actual track... after the sweeper begins... at no time is the car pointed straight till you enter the chicane ... so holding 3rd and slowing/lifting/braking wasnt stable...and your going too fast to complete the sweeper at 3rd gear speed...
This doesn't make sense with what you originally posted, but whatever.

It is possible to downshift in a corner. You just have to be smooth about it, that's all. Otherwise just live with being a gear too high in the chicane. Or slow down enough to be in the lower gear all the way through the sweeper.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:26 PM
Ek9
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Couple tracks I run, there are slower sections where I can choose 2nd or 3rd. It's kind of throwaway. Often I just stay in higher gear because by the time I get to where I need some torque I've already gotten into Vtec.

Why not coast through the sweep in 3rd, little power on and maximum cornering, track out at the bottom to optimize the entry in the chicane so, you get into power as early as possible before the straight. That whole section seems pretty throwaway until you get to the exit of the chicane.

I'd just work on not unsettling the car so, you can sweep as fast as the traction permits.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Color me crazy but I see a constant radius turn. You simply apply the brakes at the first of a double apex. This picture did not include scale so I'm making a guestimate. This looks like a perfect turn for braking *after* turn entry as you are leaving a long straight and wondering what to do with an acute radius turn entry.

Please pardon the ghetto artwork.

PINK = full throttle
GREEN = braking zone
BLUE = maintenence throttle

Old 06-26-2006, 04:03 PM

Hey Iceman!

Here's a video to give you an idea, not the same track layout but it shows the sweeper (towards the end of video) Iceman is talking about, it is a tight track. It is sorta decreasing, since you have to enter that chicane. I say stay in 3rd, downshift to 2nd (smooth!) past the apex, maintain speed until you have to break for the chicane. you HAVE to be in 2nd for that chicane, way too slow for 3rd!
Old 06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok you're crazy, it is decreasing but upon further reflection and totally guessing at how fast it is I'd stay on the throttle and take it as a double apex. Track all the way out to about 8 o'clock then either lift or left foot brake to rotate into the second half. You could gain some time there by being aggressive.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:40 PM

c3 and jerry have vision problems . That's definitely a decreasing radius, not a constant radius or double apex turn.
Old 06-26-2006, 04:44 PM

On further thought, c3 might be right. It looks just like the section coming off the oval at Phoenix Int. Raceway. First apex is a long one (hugging it), then turning in for the second, very late, sharp apex before the chicane. Heel-toe'ing and trailbraking looks useful.

edit: Just viewed the video. This IS a mini roadcourse (or big auto-x), so not like PIR. Don't know if heel-toe or trail-braking is applicable.

Quick Reply: Went to a mini road course...