S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

What to buy next for staggered set up.

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What to buy next for staggered set up.

So...I am sure this conversion has been covered a million times but I just want to know what would be the BEST bang for my buck!
I mostly track and AUTO X. (Yes I know the set ups are significantly different)

suspention:
KW v3
Front wheel:
17 x 8 +35 225/45/17 HP+ pads with SS brake lines (brake ducts) Also I have no made the purchase for the tires yet. Was thinking 235/40/17

Rear wheel:
17 x 9 +38 255/40/17 HP+ pads with SS brake lines

Tires:
dunlop star spec z2's

Alignment:
F: toe=0 -2 camber
R: toe 1/8 (out) -3 camber

Question is... What would be next move that would best for this set up and why? Just looking to branch out

Thanks guy!
Old 02-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe not what you wanted to hear, but having a non-staggered setup makes it easier to flip tires front to back and side to side.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:01 PM

Ckit- Thank you. I know everyone is consistently telling me to run a square set up. Trying to run a staggered set up still.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM
TWF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wu tang
Question is... What would be next move that would best for this set up and why? Just looking to branch out
Drive the car until you find problem, than fix problem
Old 02-28-2013, 10:05 PM
Former Moderator

235 will fit fine on a 17x8. We did some street tire autox with a 235/255 stagger and it was pretty good. Autox, I thought square 255 was better... but 235/255 worked fine. And that'll be a better track combination than cramming a large tire on the 8.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW!!!! Running toe OUT in the rear?!?!?

You're a braver person than I am!!!! Do you prefer to drift around corners? I've never done it myself, but have read that the rear end is REALLY twitchy with toe out!

Please share.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:26 AM

I agree with TWF.
If you are driving to your limits, have someone else that you know is faster than you and is known to be a local hot shoe, drive your car at an AutoX and get feedback. You might be startled at how much faster they are. If this is so, maybe your next mod is a driver mod and sign up for a Evolution Autocross school. Helped me go from low 900 pax to mid to high consistently.

When I was in your position with Staggered stock size Kuhmo XS tires, a good alignment and big front bar was immediately faster. Staying off my bumpstops by raising the car and trimming the bumpstops helped to.

But if you must mod, I'd worry about 235 tires later. Wear out the 225s first.
then.. .
I'd do the following
1.) Add camber kit front - Hardrace/Megan racing, J's or maybe rolle center adjuster front and rear, see below
2.) Alignment Zero toe rear, at least -2.8 front camber

Looks like you probably have your rear fenders pulled a little so SCCA STR class is out of the picture. If your focus in mainly HPDE/TT I'd probably get roll center adjusters front and rear to help out with the lack of shock travel that KWs have.

3.) Trim your front and rear bump stops b/c you are hitting them. 100% guaranteed. You can do the ziptie check around the shock shaft. You should be able to hack off 1/2" front and 1" rear and be fine. If you get a stiffer front bar, you can hack off 1" front.

4.) later on look into stiffer front swaybar
5.) TWF - revalve and increased spring rates
Old 03-01-2013, 05:54 AM

Bigger front wheel/tire
Old 03-01-2013, 06:33 PM

LOL, well I just bought some Regamasters so that is my wheel of choice.

Just wanted to say thank you for the great responses.

The last track day I had the car felt GREAT. That day I had three instructors ride along in the car and they all said the same thing. I need new brakes. They enjoyed that I was able to predict where the car would go. That day I mostly just worked on lines. Overall the car feels great for track.

Auto-x...that ass is as tail happy as one could be. This year I plan on trying some new alignment and going to try a new suspension technique. Yes the rear toe is going back to zero.

So a bigger front bar it is. I know the car, I know how to drive, I just want to most part for my buck. I'm not rich and track days are expensive so..If I buy a part it is for a reason. Also Im going to post a track a video of my last track day. The breaks kept over heating. Actually when I pulled into the pits all four rotors started to smoke. So now I have HP+ and brake ducts that hook up to the holes of the spoon bumper!

http://youtu.be/Xg-y9ZntSWI
Old 03-01-2013, 08:26 PM
Former Moderator

That looks like a really fun track!

Quick Reply: What to buy next for staggered set up.