S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Wing pedestal height?

Old 09-08-2009, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wing pedestal height?

I've been thinking about experimenting with pedestal heights on my GTC-300 wing and had some questions. I've seen many guys here run 275, 330 mm stands on their J's and Voltex wings trying to get the wing closer to the roof line. I understand the cleaner air theory and how it can produce relatively more downforce; however won't you hit lower stall speeds with the increased height?

The APR guy told me "Raising the wing higher is only necessary on sedans with steep angels from the back of the rood to the trunk for instance like the Evo 8/9 for example if you look at the roof line and the transition from the roof to trunk is very abrupt and sharp there for raising the wing on that vehicle is necessary."

So....should the wing be placed lower (say 10" height) due to the smoother roof line of the s2k? I haven't seen how the air stream flows after coming off the rear roof. Where is our "clean air", up high or down low?
Old 09-09-2009, 07:02 AM
Former Moderator

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

The higher the wing the cleaner the air. Cleaner air (less turbulence) will give you higher downforce and less drag. There's a reason they limit the height of the wing--higher = better.

Keep in mind the higher the wing the more level the airflow. The airflow off the back of the hard top/soft top moves with a downward vector so a low wing will actually have a higher angle of attack (which is needed to compensate for the turbulent air) than a high wing. If you want the same downforce with a higher wing you'll actually have to take some bite out of the wing.

On another note, if I were building an unlimited car I'd rig a driver controlled wing--crank it down for braking and the tight infield section of the track and flatten it for the long straights.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The airflow over the wing at the back end of the car is complex, because that airflow going into it is disturbed and there is an aerodynamic interaction between the car body and the wing.

Both of these factors are reduced when the wing is lifted higher above the body of the car.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99SH,Sep 8 2009, 08:58 PM
I've been thinking about experimenting with pedestal heights on my GTC-300 wing and had some questions. I've seen many guys here run 275, 330 mm stands on their J's and Voltex wings trying to get the wing closer to the roof line. I understand the cleaner air theory and how it can produce relatively more downforce; however won't you hit lower stall speeds with the increased height?

The APR guy told me "Raising the wing higher is only necessary on sedans with steep angels from the back of the rood to the trunk for instance like the Evo 8/9 for example if you look at the roof line and the transition from the roof to trunk is very abrupt and sharp there for raising the wing on that vehicle is necessary."

So....should the wing be placed lower (say 10" height) due to the smoother roof line of the s2k? I haven't seen how the air stream flows after coming off the rear roof. Where is our "clean air", up high or down low?
i remember when i emailed them they said something about the design being a 3d-airfoil so it doesnt need to be as high up and if u put it too high like at or above the roofline you wouldnt see any benefits.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Higher wings make more hp...
Old 09-09-2009, 09:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ericshun,Sep 9 2009, 09:46 AM
i remember when i emailed them they said something about the design being a 3d-airfoil so it doesnt need to be as high up and if u put it too high like at or above the roofline you wouldnt see any benefits.
ALL real world wings are 3D airfoils.

What they mean is that the camber of the airfoil is different in the middle than it is on the ends. It's designed for the air in the middle of the airfoil to be coming in with much more downward angle than the air at the ends of the wing. In the free air, it's less efficient than an airfoil with constant camber.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by robrob,Sep 9 2009, 07:02 AM
The higher the wing the cleaner the air. Cleaner air (less turbulence) will give you higher downforce and less drag.
APRs argument is that the cleaner air is lower and so putting the wing up above the clean air stream will create unnecessary drag and turbulence on the wing (in return will lose downforce.)

Since these are 3D airfoils, shouldn't it be placed at the lower height to allow for maximum efficiency?
Old 09-09-2009, 03:39 PM

here is the link to why these wings need to sit under the roof line.
http://www.aprperformance.com/index.php?op...ask=view&id=181
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM

here is good article from racecar engineering on the new C6R. The rear wing was lower 2-3inches from a year ago on this new race car.

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/article...cal-review.html

Quick Reply: Wing pedestal height?