S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Would like to learn how to drive

Old 02-11-2012, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Would like to learn how to drive

Hey guys, I am growing tired of being afraid to drive the car. I am not saying I want to do 90mph around an off ramp, however I would like to learn how to handle the car if the rear end kicks out etc. I may do a track day here or there, but as of now, have no concrete plans to track the car competitively. Anyway, what is the best way. I live in NJ, and am wondering if I should go to some kind of school, or sign up for a track day w/ an instructor etc?

Thanks,
Old 02-11-2012, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a local autox event and request to ride with an instructor or an experienced driver. I was very lucky to have a (distractinly attractive) girl as my first navigator through the sea of cones.

SCCA usually does $30-35 for four competition runs and $10 for four more runs for time-only's. It is good practice and everyone is super nice and polite.

Just don't show up at the last five minutes like me asking why those guys over there are sitting in their numbered cars wearing bike helmets and did you just say my air freshener and floormat impede my ability to drive?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ Do a few autocross events and you will be glad you did. I think SCCA calls the autocross a Solo Event. If you still want more try an open track event or a HPDE through NASA Pro Racing. There is a big track somewhere in NJ. New Jersey Motorsports Park I think is the name. Have fun.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Best bet:

1) Go to a local autocross (you're bound to see me if you do)
2) Take Evolution Performance Driving school phase 1 - basically an autocross but with a serious focus on getting you to understand what the limits of your car are (http://evoschool.com/)
3) Want to go a little faster, go to a track day (HPDE)

The first 2 are the least expensive with about a zero percent risk of anything bad happening to you or your car (you may get some cone marks on your car if you whack into cones but those literally rub off). The last one is only as dangerous as you let it be.
Old 02-11-2012, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steguis
Best bet:

1) Go to a local autocross (you're bound to see me if you do)
2) Take Evolution Performance Driving school phase 1 - basically an autocross but with a serious focus on getting you to understand what the limits of your car are (http://evoschool.com/)
3) Want to go a little faster, go to a track day (HPDE)

The first 2 are the least expensive with about a zero percent risk of anything bad happening to you or your car (you may get some cone marks on your car if you whack into cones but those literally rub off). The last one is only as dangerous as you let it be.

Sounds like a plan, thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What's wrong with the NJ Turnpike ?
Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup

Old 02-11-2012, 05:17 PM

No problem man. There are a bunch of S2Ks that show up at the NNJR SCCA events at the Meadowlands so if you go, definitely feel free to park near us, say hello and we'll be more than happy to help you get going. I'll be the first to admit not everyone loves it but it is very rewarding if you open your mind to learning. Some of my best friendships have come out of going to autox events and frankly there is no other place where you can push your car 100% and not be afraid of something bad happening.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by iLuveketchup
LOL
Old 02-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you car is behaving in a way that does not inspire confidence it can be the nut behind the wheel (most likely), and to some degree tires and setup could be the problem. If you go to an event try to swap cars with someone's that is well sorted or allow the instructor to drive your car to rule out the driver variable. They will be able to give you advice on what they would change first to make the car behave at the limit better.

Quick Reply: Would like to learn how to drive