S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

boxsters are sloooooooooooooooooooooooow

Old 08-12-2002, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by LateApex
If an LS1 f-body guy came in here bangin on the S for being slow, expensive and a yuppie toy, there'd be a mountain of responses that ranged from "well, the S2000 isn't a drag race car" to "yea, but we got you beat in the twisties" (you don't, btw)
I agree with most of your points, except this one. This is the most absurd thing I've ever heard. An LS-1 F-Body (Camaro/Firebird) couldn't hang with an S2000 in the twisties to save it's life. The F-body is a drag car, and the S2000 is a track car. The F-body is blessed with one of the strongest engines in today's automotive world, but Chevy slapped it on a watered-down chassis and suspension, made to appeal to the teenaged girls that complained of a bumpy ride, road noise, and low ride-height. Meanwhile, the S2000 has a small, but high-efficiency motor mated with a 6-speed gearbox that has to be worked hard to keep the car in the powerband. This motor sits in an extremely rigid chassis with 50/50 weight distribution and a very stiff suspension, which results in go-kart-like handling. No Camaro or Firebird will ever hang with a properly driven S2000 in the twisties, in the same way that no stock S2000 will ever hang with a properly driven F-body at the drag strip.

Matt
Old 08-12-2002, 11:28 AM

Late Apex, i agree with you. I am a huge fan of the S, but I think that pride runs amok too frequently here sometimes, which I really don't mind as long as it is left here and I don't have to encounter it on the street.
Old 08-12-2002, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LateApex - you have a damn good point there. Many Mustang/F-Body owners think of the S2000 as an overpriced P.O.S. Honda. At the same time, we think of the Boxster as an overpriced P.O.S. Porsche. But, to the owner, it's obviously not an overpriced P.O.S. Yea, we could've had a "faster" car by spending less and buying an LS1-powered car, but we chose the S2000 because we admire it. I owned a '99 Z28, so I know what a torque-monster feels like, but for some reason, I wanted a car that was different, and more balanced. The S2000 did it for me, and I don't care if I don't have 300+ ft./lbs of torque. In the same way, a Boxster owner could've bought an S2000, but chose the Boxster instead because he/she simply likes it more. For whatever reason, Boxster owners were able to justify spending that much money on their Boxsters. Here goes again, but I have to say this: "to each his own."
Old 08-12-2002, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by LateApex
If an LS1 f-body guy came in here bangin on the S for being slow, expensive and a yuppie toy-Apex [/B]
Actually, a convertible SS Camaro with a six-speed invoices for $31,000.

I'm not saying it's slow, but I wouldn't call that cheap, either.

Not to mention they'll be a bit more difficult to order here in the near future.

I hope it doesn't come back al la the Ford Thunderbird (expensive, cruiser versus performance.)

I like the Boxster S and I thought it was comparable to the S 2000. It's no 911 Turbo!
Old 08-12-2002, 12:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by azrael
[B]

I agree with most of your points, except this one.
Old 08-12-2002, 12:43 PM

Originally posted by Lee355

If you spent more time around sports cars and sports car owners, you'd realize that it's not just S2000 owners that realize the Boxster is an overpriced, underpowered yuppie-mobile that was designed only to make profit. They may be fun to drive, and I'm sure they can hold their own against monsters such as the Civic SI and V6 Mustang, but there's still something missing.

That extra effort to see if the Porsche headlights in my mirror actually belong to a real Porsche or an econo-Porsche just makes me feel bad for Carrera owners.

You must be right. I couldn't possibly know what I'm talking about. I obviously don't spend time with real sports car people like yourself. I must have been hallucinating the past 4 years I've spent competing in Solo II... and all those first place trophies and plaques I have on the mantle and in the closet must be afterimages from all the tripping I do. Gee I will sure miss my fanasty friends at the SCCA.

Since you are at, you should set guys like G.H. Sharp and Andrew McKee straight too. Next time you run into them in your sports car elite social circle, you should remind them that they don't have a chance in their overpriced, underpowered yuppie-mobile Porsches against S2000s. Andrew should really stop wearing that National Champ jacket and get a clue.

Thanks for setting me straight. You have so much credibility, since you have an S2000. After all, I just drive an M3.. not a sports car. What do I know?

-Apex
Old 08-12-2002, 01:09 PM

[B] An LS-1 F-Body (Camaro/Firebird) couldn't hang with an S2000 in the twisties to save it's life.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally posted by Lee355

If you spent more time around sports cars and sports car owners, you'd realize that it's not just S2000 owners that realize the Boxster is an overpriced, underpowered yuppie-mobile that was designed only to make profit. They may be fun to drive, and I'm sure they can hold their own against monsters such as the Civic SI and V6 Mustang, but there's still something missing.
Well I guess you need to spend some more time around folks who race their cars rather than waxing them, cuz if it is missing something, you sure can't tell on the autocross course. Boxsters seem to do pretty well against the S2k there...one was driven by the National Champ last year, besting the S2k competition in the same class.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by negcamber
[B]

Well I guess you need to spend some more time around folks who race their cars rather than waxing them, cuz if it is missing something, you sure can't tell on the autocross course.
Old 08-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[B]

I agree with most of your points, except this one.

Quick Reply: boxsters are sloooooooooooooooooooooooow