S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Can stock Z4's beat Mustang's?

Old 08-13-2004, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Zoran,Aug 13 2004, 01:43 PM
And there's much more to driving than the car. A slightly better driver in a slightly slower car (GT) will beat you in your Z4, even if you add a turn or two in the race.

An average driver in a Z4 will have a hard time keeping up with a good driver in a much inferior car (let's say, a miata) when you throw some turns on the road, and will get absolutely destroyed when you put a better driver in a somewhat comparable car (like the Mustang GT).

Yes, Z4 is potentially faster than a GT on a curvy road, with both cars in expert hands. But that doesn't mean that most people will have the skill to extract that potential.
well of course driver skill plays a huge role, but I refering to equal drivers the stang would lose...naturally when you throw different experience levels, it becomes a drivers race

ie I raced a new (b6) s4 last week in my z4, and lost by all of .5 CL, s4 driver probally wasn't the best hence I did better than I should have

drivers account for alot- but I guess I was just refering to the vehicles potentials
z4 > stang gt, drivers could turn it either way
Old 08-13-2004, 02:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=yellafeva,Aug 13 2004, 09:17 AM] Yeah, with auto, you just smash and go.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Banned

well, I can find a number of dyno sheets for Mustangs, but none for Z3's, so I would be skecptical of claims other than BMW's. Believe what you want - I'm not surprised people here think the GT is slower than two cars that are obviously not as fast, but whatever.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by no_really,Aug 13 2004, 02:37 PM
well, I can find a number of dyno sheets for Mustangs, but none for Z3's, so I would be skecptical of claims other than BMW's. Believe what you want - I'm not surprised people here think the GT is slower than two cars that are obviously not as fast, but whatever.
GT's and Z4's both run low 14's in the 1/4 correct? sounds pretty evenly matched to me
Old 08-13-2004, 05:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by no_really,Aug 13 2004, 02:37 PM
Obviously not as fast, my a$$! Given a good driver in either the Z4 or S2K, I'd put my own money on either of those against a GT.

Under-rated, I know the SMG shifts just as fast; not arguing with that. I was just saying about "stroking the gears" that makes it more fun. "Stroke, stroke...squirt, squirt...smile, smile..."
Old 08-13-2004, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by yellafeva,Aug 13 2004, 05:50 PM
I was just saying about "stroking the gears" that makes it more fun. "Stroke, stroke...squirt, squirt...smile, smile..."
Could be just as fun when someone else does it for you. I prefer that way, but to each his own.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Z4EC,Aug 13 2004, 05:57 PM
Could be just as fun when someone else does it for you. I prefer that way, but to each his own.
Oh yeah? But sometimes its owner knows the best techniques hence making more pleasurable or fun.

Of course we're talking about cars.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=yellafeva,Aug 13 2004, 05:50 PM] Obviously not as fast, my a$$!
Old 08-13-2004, 08:11 PM

here's something to keep in mind before you go out and challenge a Stang to a race. this only applies for GT's.

-most stangs are moded with atleast an exhaust system and an intake (estimated at about 30+ hp increase at the wheels). Mustangs react very well to a basic bolt-on.

-the stang has a lot of torque on the low end so if you think about racing one light-to-light prepare yourself for a possible loss because a stang will rip out of the hole a lot faster than you if it has a semi-competent driver w/ a 5-spd.

-a lot of Stang owners swap out their gears as well. most common gear swap is a 3.73 swap. that particular gear set not only improves acceleration but it barely affects your top end speed.

BUT...throw one curve in there and the race is over, the Stang is dead. i know this because i used to have a Stang and i moded the suspension trying to get it to handle better but it was a lost cause. it still handled pretty crappy. the car is made to go fast in a straight line.

again i'm not trying to start an arguement, it's just my $0.02
Old 08-13-2004, 09:36 PM

Lol... Enzo has two pedals... Ferrari Stradale 2 pedals... SMG takes skill, two pedals... SMG is the sh!t! in my opinion esp in the M3. It took four months for me to get fully use to the transition but it kicks a$$! With a competent driver like myself you'd be suprised how precision SMG is in and out of corners, highway acceleration, etc...
Seems like the 6 speed M3 is always faster than the SMG. Sure it changes gears faster, but you can't feather the clutch.

Quick Reply: Can stock Z4's beat Mustang's?