S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Close calls with the boys in blue.

Old 04-08-2007, 09:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Close calls with the boys in blue.

If the mods think this is better served in Street Encounters, feel free to move. I figured it wasnt intended to relate only to street racing, so I left it here.

While on a trip with the g/f and seeing a fair number of police with people pulled over, it got me thinking about all the various times I've been driving a little too spirited (or at times, totally immature/stupid) and probably should have been pulled over or cited because I encountered an officer who most likely saw me plain as day.

There were quite a few where nothing happened, one where I got nailed but was able to get it dropped, and one or two where I could have ended up with a suspended license.

What other tales of "divine intervention" do people have where they squeaked through..uh...innocent.. even though they probably shouldnt have?

A few of mine:

1) "aka: immature stupid moment" An Audi A6 had been egging me on for a few miles, racing off and then slowing down, waving me forward through his sun roof, etc. We came to a light with him in front, me right behind. Light goes green and he takes off, so I finally give in and give chase. I pull right up on his rear so I pull to the right lane and start to pass. We are doing 55ish in a 35 when a cop crests the hill ahead of us. I *poorly* decide to slam the brakes and then immediately whip to a side street and pull over to the curb in plain sight of the cop. He yanks a U-turn right behind me, tires squeeling and gives chase after the Audi. I quietly leave the scene and go home.

2) Heading home from a trip I was heading up a mountain highway with a passing lane and started to push it to pass two cars before the lanes re-merged and I got stuck behind them. Passed them with plenty of time to spare, but was doing about 80mph when I made it by, started to coast down to speed and crested the top where a state trooper was radaring. I passed him doing 70-75 (in a 55) but he didnt budge. Must have been focusing on the holiday traffic heading back to the valley from Memorial Weekend.

3) Driving down the highway at about 65-70 in the fast lane (speed was 55), two cars were in line beside me in the slow lane. A Honda Ridgeline was coming up behind me fairly quick, but nothing TOO crazy. In my side mirror, I see a motorcycle coming down an onramp we had just passed and just got that feeling that it was a cop. The bike pulls right behind the Ridgeline right away. I nudge it just a hair faster and pull into the slow lane (to get out of the way of the speeding Ridgeline, Officer!). The Ridgeline follows suit and wedges himself between me and the car we had just passed. The bike kicks on the lights and pulls the ridgeline over while I continue on my merry way.

I'll add a few more as I remember them. Who else has some?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got pulled over for 145 in a 55, he didn't get the clock and let me off with a lecture.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 AM

I got 2 tickets from 2 different cops within 5 hours of each other. Each for about 10 over..

And 1 ticket for going 100 in a 55, a $500 fine, which was totally dropped in court. No court costs or points or fines or anything.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:07 AM

Let me preface, I live in the wonderful state of New Jersey. Where cops will write there own mothers tickets. I was on my way back from a race and I knew it was supposed to rain but kept the top down anyway. When I got off the Turnpike I could see a couple really dark clouds off in the distance with lightning. Rather than stop and put the top up, which would have been the smart thing, I decided to drive faster instead. I was doing 95 maybe 100 on Rte. 55, a two lane divided highway with a 65 mph speed limit. There was no one else on my side of the road, so I was only a danger to myself. Out of the corner of my eye I see a State Trooper pull out of his hiding spot, foot to the floor lights flashing. I immediately slow down knowing it is too late. He pulls up alongside turns his lights off and gives me a thumbs up, then speeds off. I make it back to my garage two minutes before it starts pouring, thanks Officer.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:15 AM

as for me, i was coming down on I-95 in Richmond following a camaro doing 90. i noticed the blue lights almost behind me and quickly ducked in front of an 18 wheeler in the right lane. needless to say the cop gave chase to the camaro in front of me.

which brings me to another question. if two or three vechicles are speeding at the same rate, which one is the cop more likely to pull over?
Old 04-09-2007, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have used up one of my miracles. I had just merged onto an expressway and saw clear road ahead and I was feeling frisky, so I punched it up to about 115. All of a sudden there are flashing lights way behind me so I pulled off at the next exit so I could try and plead my case. The officer was furious and having none of it. He had clocked me at 80 in a 55 (thank God he didn't catch the 115), and was all set to throw the book at me. The officer went back to his cruiser then another officer pulled up behind him. After talking for a few seconds, the first officer took off flying down the street with his lights on. The second officer came up to my window and told me it was my lucky day. The first officer had received a priority call and the second officer was not allowed to write a ticket for a violation he didn't see so he had to let me go.

I'll never forget that the S2000 gods were looking out for me that day.
The following users liked this post:
Warren J. Dew (03-19-2017)
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 AM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I
Old 04-09-2007, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

137mph on the West Side Highway NYC. I was young and immature By the grace of god the cops let me go. I think they had to because of the explatives they were shouting at me over the loudspeaker when they pulled me over.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:39 AM

Well, here goes, I have been extremly lucking when it comes to getting tickets to stick. In the county I grew up in if your speedo was off by anymore than 5mph then they would always reduce the ticket to inproper eq. and youpay a fine and thats it. Well I cant even begin to tell you how many times I was in the 15 over range and had it reduced to IE. The trick I used was to pull the speedo apart and tinker with the needle till it consistently read 10mph under what your actual speed was.

This probably the biggest no-no I have ever done and got away with. It happened back when I was in college. I had went downtown and had way too much to drink, but me being the stupid bullheaded person I was back then attempted to drive home. When I was all but home I met a cop and he pulled a U-turn and fell in behind me. Since I was so close to home I just kept driving and he followed me all the way to my house and flip on the lights as I pulled in my driveway. He came up and we went throught the whole license and registration ordeal, He then asked if this is where I live and I told him yes, and then he told me to get out of the car. I got out and we talked about my evening, and he asked how many I had to drink and I straight up told him "too much, sir" He sat me down the back of his patrol car and sat there filling out paper work, I knew I was a gonner, freaking out what the hell was I going to do, I cant lose my license, my parents, DAMN I'M SCREWED!!! Well he turnes around and hands me this white piece of paper, and I confused since this is not the customary pink slip I get. I looked down and it was a warning ticket for speeding. I then gave me the most stern talking to ever, and thenlet me go!!!
Old 04-09-2007, 07:51 AM

One time, my stepmother's Benz was in the shop and they gave her a c350 loaner.

Coming from a BMW 325ci cabriolet, this was heaven for me. The speed.

Since you can put as many miles as you want on it, I went to upstate NY.

I must have reached 140 at one point. Travelling around 120 for a few miles.

I slowed down, but as you know, when you slow down after going those speeds, 90mph feels slow to you.

A cop pulls me over.

"I've been following you for a few miles."

"I got you doing 88. That's a little too fast."

OH THANK GOD!!!!!

Quick Reply: Close calls with the boys in blue.