S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Gutted AP2 versus new Mustang GT

Old 05-03-2013, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutted AP2 versus new Mustang GT

I was in the right hand lane at the front of a light with a big line of cars behind me in a spot where people normally line up in the middle or far left and try to beat others off the line to merge right before the next light, which promptly after turns into an interstate on-ramp. I had been counting the days till I got the front spot and could show people why you don't do dick things like that.

The road from that point to the next light is about 1/2 mile.

So sitting there, wondering who was going to pull up, when a dude mid 30's early 40's rolls up in a brand new temp tag mustang GT. He looks over at me with his sunglasses and smiles, and I thought "Oh. Well maybe his 5.0 will beat me, but I'll still try."

Light green, we gun it, he pulled ahead by maybe 1/2 car and then shifted while my car soared into vtec range. I pulled him from that point on ending about 2 car lengths in front of him and then slowing down for the next light, which always seems to go red. He didn't get over and decided he wanted to try his luck again.

Light green, same result, except this time I match him so we're dead even (on purpose) he slows way down, so do I, and he gets all mad as I point him to just go straight. He missed his on ramp and hopefully he learned a lesson, while I got a clean kill followed by an opportunity to educate someone in the error of being a douche.

Win/win, literally.

Mods: Completely gutted interior including trimmed door cards, berk 3", ac, air pump deleted.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:24 PM

Nice kill How much does your car weigh?
Old 05-03-2013, 01:48 PM

Also, did you drop the clutch revving high or did a normal start?
Old 05-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

LOL nice! i have to say that i've done things similar to that. i mean, it is kinda being a douche in a way but nonetheless teaching a lesson to people.
Old 05-03-2013, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Top_down
Nice kill How much does your car weigh?
No idea, haven't weighed . My guess is 2-300 less. Could be more. No spare tire or tools either and was at 1/2 tank.

Originally Posted by Terdburgler
Also, did you drop the clutch revving high or did a normal start?
Started from 5k. Low I know, and I didn't squeal tires, but it's so obnoxiously loud if I start higher. Not like it matters I guess, I went all the way to red line through 3 gears.

Originally Posted by icantbeseen1
LOL nice! i have to say that i've done things similar to that. i mean, it is kinda being a douche in a way but nonetheless teaching a lesson to people.
Thx! It just frustrates me how people do that, but it frustrates me more how others encourage it by not reaching the speed limit of like 45 until 20 seconds later. I don't blame him for thinking everyone is easy pickings.
Old 05-03-2013, 05:23 PM

I love this. So many times I get a douche in a 4.6 Mustang taking sh*t and we race and I walk on him there face is priceless

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
Old 05-04-2013, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just today, I was sitting at a red light with a 2008 Mustang GT behind me. When the light turned green, I started of normally, but the mustang got it on and passed me on the right side...I was still in 1st gear as he passed by me and stepped on it and redlined 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears to slightly over 8000rpm (just prior to the rev limiter kicking in). I caught up to him in 2nd and started to pass him in 3rd gear, but had to back off around 80mph since another red light was comming up.
As we came to a stopped, the guy in the Blue Mustang with Black trim gave me the "thumbs up" sign.... I waved back to be polite (but grinning from ear to ear, knowing that I beat him).
Old 05-04-2013, 11:31 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spaceentity
Just today, I was sitting at a red light with a 2008 Mustang GT behind me. When the light turned green, I started of normally, but the mustang got it on and passed me on the right side...I was still in 1st gear as he passed by me and stepped on it and redlined 1st, 2nd and 3rd gears to slightly over 8000rpm (just prior to the rev limiter kicking in). I caught up to him in 2nd and started to pass him in 3rd gear, but had to back off around 80mph since another red light was comming up.
As we came to a stopped, the guy in the Blue Mustang with Black trim gave me the "thumbs up" sign.... I waved back to be polite (but grinning from ear to ear, knowing that I beat him).
There is a big difference between an 08 vs a new coyote v8, but you already know this I'm sure
Old 05-05-2013, 10:13 AM

Funny how no one doubts this " street encounter ", but people call BS on an S staying with an SRT8 (not anyone in this thread ATM)... I'm not saying you're lying because I know anything is possible. But a new 5.0 will eat and digest an SRT (with proper drivers), so he may have just been playing you for what it was worth, or it was a 4.6 w/ 5.0 badges. Or your car just runs better than the numbers suggest and it was a clean kill Who knows... Had to comment Cheers
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by AP1Driver
Funny how no one doubts this " street encounter ", but people call BS on an S staying with an SRT8 (not anyone in this thread ATM)... I'm not saying you're lying because I know anything is possible. But a new 5.0 will eat and digest an SRT (with proper drivers), so he may have just been playing you for what it was worth, or it was a 4.6 w/ 5.0 badges. Or your car just runs better than the numbers suggest and it was a clean kill Who knows... Had to comment Cheers
It's cool. The guy was definitely on it full throttle (by the sound of it and how fast we were by the light, ~80 is when I broke, he did a little earlier). You don't go that fast in a 40 without an agenda. The new mustang's 0-60 is something like 4.6 seconds. He didn't drop it and neither did I, but I'd say his lack of utilizing his early end torque probably killed him that first run, since the s doesn't have torque to utilize at any RPM . The next light I lit the tires up and then proceeded to block him, thinking he would start with a burn too, which he still didn't. Maybe it was an auto? But the shifts were extremely noticeable and jerky.

My car is certainly capable of some cool things, as I kept up with a new (auto) z4 s35i no problem, albeit that was a true launch from 8k. Weight redux is good for this car .

Quick Reply: Gutted AP2 versus new Mustang GT