S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Legit Kill - Me vs SL500!

Old 06-01-2003, 02:18 AM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I really try not to get caught up in this kind of stuff, but for no good reason, I went at it tonight.

I was driving to the hospital at about 8:30PM going West on Sunset Blvd. I stopped at a red light, and a silver SL500 convertible pulls up next to me. I glanced over, and he was looking at me, but I didn't feel anything. The light turned green and he laid some rubber and took off. That car sounded really mean!

I didn't even go for it, but I wasn't far behind, because he eased off at around 60mph for a corner coming up. At that moment, I couldn't resist temptation. As he slowed, I blew by him through the corner, at 9 grand in second gear. I hit third coming out of the corner, and I was gone.

I went around the next corner, and [oh crap] a red light! Now I'm sitting there while this guy rolls up, and I know he's gonna want some payback for that move I just pulled.

I was at the signal where the candles are always burning on the sidewalk, at the foot of that statue. Ahead is a short straight that goes into a fast right sweeper (by UCLA). The big Benz pulls up next to me, and I was just about to look over, but the light changed quickly to green.

Without thinking, I threw it into first and hit it. It wasn't a launch, I probably took of at around 5500rpms, but I didn't look at the tach. Right when I hit the gas I heard his car chirp loud, but my car moved about 4 feet before I saw his move. I hit my first-second gearchange like clockwork, without breaking my focus on the upcoming sweeper. I couldn't believe I was in the lead!

Out of my peripheral vision, I could see his front bumper coming even with my door as we were coming into the sweeper. This is where my little S did me so proud. I've got A LOT of faith in my stock suspension and my S02s, so I let it all hang out!!!

There was no way I could look at the speedometer to see how fast I was going, but it felt like the tires were at their limit. I was in the outside lane, and the tall plastic lane dividers were right up to my window! I could hear his engine roaring behind me, so I didn't let off, and I pulled away big time coming out of the sweeper.

I stayed on it hard all the way up the hill. When I broke for the off-camber left turn, his car was about six car lengths back. Just after the left, was another red light, it's at the West gate of Bel-Air. I had to stop, and as hard as I tried, I couldn't get that damn sh!t-eating grin off my face!

The Benz driver was a white guy with a Philly accent. He was checking out my ride, and said, "Wow, nice car." He asked me if that was a carbon fiber hood, and I told him yeah. The light turned green, and he took off again with a big chirp. I turn left just after that, so it ended there (which I know was good for me).

More powerful cars can definitely be beaten, by taking advantage of our car's extreme handling capability. I didn't expect anything like this to happen tonight, but I will remember it for a long time. I just can't stop smiling!

-Pete

Old 06-01-2003, 06:37 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

hehe... you showed him those very cool tail lights of yours. Nice job!

I bought a set of tail lights to paint but am having second thoughts about it. It looks incredible but sounds like such a pain...
Old 06-01-2003, 09:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lig
[B]hehe... you showed him those very cool tail lights of yours.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, good kill! That part of Sunset Blvd. has always been a great playground for my S2000. Lots of memories My first race ever on that street was my first car, a 1990 Integra GS, vs. a Lamborghini Diablo VT. Guess who won?
Old 06-01-2003, 11:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Lamborghini Diablo
Old 06-01-2003, 03:24 PM

sounds like u had a lot of fun, but why you're so suprised i don't know.

our cars are faster than the sl500 in a straight line or in the corners. ultimate top speed might be a bit different due to the benzo's hardtop/aerodynamic superiority, but 1/4, track time, no contest.

s2000 kills.

thanks for the story, bud
Old 06-01-2003, 05:14 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WRS2K
[B]our cars are faster than the sl500 in a straight line or in the corners.
Old 06-01-2003, 05:38 PM

U sure?? i thought SL500's ran like low 13s stock (the new ones..)
Old 06-01-2003, 07:07 PM

Were you racing a new one? They are awesome cars! Good race.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by XconZ
Were you racing a new one? They are awesome cars! Good race.
It looked brand new, but I didn't notice if it had a plate, or not. It also had aftermarket rims and really low profile tires on it. When he stepped on it, it sounded kind of like a built mustang, it had a deep and hollow exhaust note. It was a beautiful car.

-Pete

Quick Reply: Legit Kill - Me vs SL500!