S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

modded eclipse gs-x

Old 07-17-2003, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default modded eclipse gs-x

Out driving about, top down when I see a modded eclipse up ahead. Wanting to see if he wanted to play I sped past him and saw/heard him down shift and follow. There was no room to run so I took a left and he followed. We got around a van and there was nothing but three lanes of about 2 miles of free road ahead. I waited for him in second gear at about 50mph. He pulls up looks over and smiles. I hear psssttttttt over the wailing of my vtec. Oh George, what did you get yourself into this time.

I gun it first, and lurch about .5 cars ahead as I am shifting into third he pulls even and takes a car lead. By the end of third he was 2 cars ahead. He slowed and I slowed. It should have been closer because I shifted at about 8500 rpms.

We did another run this time we both hit the gas at the same time, he pulled and about the end of 4th (110+) he was 2 cars ahead. Not as bad as the first time because I shifted at redline. We slow down and I asked him how much he was boosting. He replied 20psi with bigger turbo. Eventually we hit a light. And he told me that he has a hks turbo boosting 20psi and i/e/h and obviously bov etc. He said he runs a high 12 with the eclipse, which shocked me because I was only 2 cars behind in a race from 50-110. But then again I was in a great rpm for the s2k. Anyone know how much a hks turbo psi 20 is putting down?
Old 07-18-2003, 12:10 AM
Banned

Good job! 2 car-lengths is not bad at all against upgraded turbo GSX. Maybe his car is more like low 13-sec, but who knows...The reason his car is quick in a 1/4 mi is because of the AWD launch. You went from a roll so it worked out to your advantage--losing only 2 carlengths.

Again, good job! And please don't race on the streets so much!
Old 07-18-2003, 01:54 AM

Received 325 Likes on 275 Posts

Some of those Mitsu's are really quick, you did good to stay that close. Depending on what other things he has done to his car he could be putting down anywhere around 350 hp.
Old 07-18-2003, 05:14 AM

nice death... just need to save up for the turbo.
Old 07-18-2003, 08:19 AM

Good run. You really never know what's under the hood till you run. In this case you had a 300lb advantage. GSX are known for thier launch abilities. Had it been a GS-T with the same mods the margin would have been more, for him, on a highway run. It's hard to say exactly how much HP he had based on his info. The turbo could have been a few trims. 20psi is about average for a turbo upgrade, and that's good for 300-350hp. Usually mods are air filter, boost controller, full 3" exhaust. These cars with a few simple mods can get the job done. Strong motors. The BOV is for show, no real performance there. Did you see a fmic? Hey you win some, you lose some.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:28 AM

Nice run and like Junk_... said, a GS-T would have pulled harder on the highway assuming same mods. Had you raced the GSX from a standstill it would have not been so close.
Old 07-18-2003, 10:51 AM

I'd say he's around 310-340 hp at the crank. EVO's with about 30-50hp in mods usually run mid to high 12's. They're aren't exactly the same (EVO and GSX) but close enough to come up with a horsepower estimate.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:35 PM

I have always liked the GSXs and I might buy one for a winter car.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by VTECS2000
I have always liked the GSXs and I might buy one for a winter car.
Good idea, nope. If you want to play with the boost, stay very far away from this car. Mitsubishi lost their shirt with warranty work on this car. The transmissions cannot take the boost. Speak with peope who boost higher than stock and expect 90% of them to be on their 2nd and 3rd and even 4th trannies. I met a kid with a black GSX(4th tranny) boosting 22psi. He says, yeah its great having such a fast car, but its a P.O.S.! Get a WRX if you want some winter AWD with some summer performance.
Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 PM
dsm

good race. about the eclipse trannies, its not all true. the tranny is weak, but mostly in awd cars cuz they launch so hard. ive broken 2nd gear twice in mine but thats because of wheel hop. if u know anything about wheel hop its like taking a jack hammer to the tranny. its that bad. its not the trannies fault but mine and some mods that i need to help stop it. ive ran 24psi off my 16g with no problem.

Quick Reply: modded eclipse gs-x