S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Raced a supercharged Miata

Old 05-29-2001, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It was the most recent model version. He had dual exhausts. Here's what happened:

I was on 520 heading towards Bellevue. It was around midnight and I was switching left to right to avoid some cars up ahead. I had passed a Miata while back on the bridge and thought perhaps he wanted to play, but we simply just followed each other. I didn't expect much.

After I pass thru the crowd, I see Miata lights doing the same and lining up next to me. Next thing you know, he downshifts while at my rear bumper and takes off and the engine made this funny whistling sorta noise. As soon as he went ahead a car length I downshifted from 6th to 3rd while traveling at 75mph. At this point in time, I thought it was a stock Miata, but by the way this thing gained on me and the extra RPMs it took me to overtake him, I knew he wasn't stock. So by 4th gear at 6000 I'm even with him and I pulled on him hard. After I got ahead by about 3 car lengths, I hit my hazards and slowed back down, but there he comes again with that whistling, whirring noise and there I go again walking his ass.

I asked what mods he had. Said he was supercharged and we split.
Old 05-29-2001, 06:28 PM
Banned

My friend had a SC'ed '95 Miata. It was fast and it felt even faster with all the torque. We never raced until we got on the track at Road America. I would just walk away from him under hard acceleration. He could corner better than I (marginally) with all of his suspension mods, but I reeled him in upon corner exit.

Fun cars.
Old 05-30-2001, 10:07 AM

Those Miata are sneeky. They're staring to mods that car like crazy. I read about one with the 13B hybrid from the 93+ rx-7. It ran 10sec 1/4 on street tires and fully street legal.
Old 05-30-2001, 11:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
[B]I asked what mods he had.
Old 06-03-2001, 12:00 AM

Doesnt take a lot of power to make a miata fly. I have had an SC miata (155 rwhp) and now one of those FM turbo's that you pointed out from the Dealer Alt site. My SC miata with boost upgrades and other add ran a 0-60 in 5.3-5.5 and 14.1 1/4 mile. Quick out the hole.... easy to launch and really never beat at a stop light. Now the FM II turbo is a monster. No fear on the street. with a 0-60 @ 4.3 on street tires, runs the 1/8 mile at 8.1 @ 87 mph! 1/4 mile in a 12.7 ..it takes a really modded car to best you light to light. If any of you have ever ran at the 1/8 mile track you'll know an 8.1 is screaming. 2000 C5 vettes only run 8.9-9.0's,I've seen Vipers run only 8.5's, Now these same cars will eventually pull you after you're over about 130 mph..but who cares the race is over. And the best part its not some high strung race car,it still drives like stock gets good gas milage. My last dyno was 262.5 to the Wheels. with 234 ft/lbs torque @ 3500 rpm. Needless to say its a total blast.and the faces of the unsuspecting 911,SS camero,Boxster S,Cobras,NSX's,C5's,M anything,is priceless.
Old 06-03-2001, 07:48 AM

I think people who spend that much money to make a lesser car into a superfast car just to "humble" the real sports cars need to spend money on therapy more so than anything else.
Old 06-03-2001, 08:22 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SpaceNeedle
[B]I think people who spend that much money to make a lesser car into a superfast car just to "humble" the real sports cars need to spend money on therapy more so than anything else.
Old 06-03-2001, 08:48 AM

it'd definitely be funny and i'd want to hear about it...

embarrassment isn't the right word, though. i'd think you're a loser who's got either too much money or too little money in that you have a complex that drives you to buy a $10K mod to beat up on a car that has a very high ppp factor.

i guess it's all relative and personal.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:10 PM

boy...not pointing any fingers or anything

but it appears as if a handful of members here have the "S2K is God's gift to the automotive world" complex and anything else that tries to do anything to best it is silly and a waste of time and money.

I'm pretty sure I'll end up behind the wheel of one in a few short years when my bank account agrees, but if I turn out to be a jerk behind the wheel...shoot me.
Old 06-03-2001, 02:18 PM

Believe me, man. I'm the furthest thing to being an S2000 worshipper.

Quick Reply: Raced a supercharged Miata