S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Saleen punked out..

Old 05-20-2001, 12:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm cruising around beltline right before heading downtown.. pull up on a crowd w/ cars parked in front of a car wash.. saw this black saleen i'd seen earlier that day.

started talking to them.. his friends were cool and started asking questions about the car.. but i asked what he had done to it.. if it was just suspension or if it had the 'turbocharger'.. he responded its 'supercharger' get it right.. i respond whatever.. he said no supercharger but it has 270hp. runs 12's stock.. haha yeah i buy that. (for those that don't know.. a saleen is usually just a suspension/apperance package.. some do have the supercharger) people usually hear saleen and think wicked fast.. but an apperance package.. oooh scary.

he started askin about my car.. told him the best it can possibly run stock is about a 13.8.. 'damn thats slow' (friends laugh) 'what?!.. you wanna run it?' 'no man i'm just playin thats pretty fast'

i'm tired of punks that only have the balls to talk trash when its 5 to 1. i persisted.. i know this spot.. no thats too far.. i don't feel like running it (2 blocks away).. said alright and took off.
Old 05-20-2001, 11:33 AM

How old were these guys?
Old 05-20-2001, 11:57 AM

around my age.. early 20's.
Old 05-20-2001, 12:45 PM

(for those that don't know.. a saleen is usually just a suspension/apperance package.. some do have the supercharger)
What's up Insomniac?

I'd have to dissagree with your statement, from what I've learned of Saleens. Check out http://www.saleen.com and you can see the different Saleen models with their performance data. I'm not saying that someone couldn't buy Saleen body kits and put it on a GT. I see GT's around here that have Saleen license plate frames, I love that. I just think that most of the Saleen's you'll run into are real Saleens; I see plenty here in Houston...real ones. An all motor (not forced induction) Saleen is still very fast - I wouldn't assume that every Saleen you see is just a body kit and sport springs.

Wesmaster
Old 05-20-2001, 01:01 PM

Originally posted by Wesmaster

What's up Insomniac?
not much
[QUOTE][B]
I'd have to dissagree with your statement, from what I've learned of Saleens.
Old 05-20-2001, 01:10 PM

...well he said 270hp...
At the crank or at the wheels?

Wesmaster
Old 05-20-2001, 01:14 PM

didn't say.. i assumed at the crank.. if it were at the wheels i don't think he would of backed out of running it. but looked at that site.. under parts and gear. everything can be ordered seperately. brakes, bodykit, decals, supercharger, wheels, etc.

[Edited by Insomniak on 05-20-2001 at 02:17 PM]
Old 05-20-2001, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with Insomniak. Most of the Saleens I see in SoCal are appearance with just small performance tweaks like springs/shocks/exhaust. A true Saleen with the supercharger is pretty quick, 12's with a good driver is legit. The kicker is that if you're a Mustang fan, and want to go 12s, you're more likely to go buy a 88-92 5.0 for a few grand and spend some bucks on that. A new Saleen that runs 12's _usually_ ends up being a $35k-$40k car - and a lot of people have a hard time justifying that for a Mustang (as in why not just buy a Corvette for $40k that runs 12's stock - yes, I'm familiar with the Chevy/Ford rivalry :-)

UL
Old 05-20-2001, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by ultimate lurker
(as in why not just buy a Corvette for $40k that runs 12's stock - yes, I'm familiar with the Chevy/Ford rivalry :-)

UL
yeah if you want cheap and reliable 12's.. i'd go for a used LS1 SS z28 or trans am (since they depreciate so quickly there pretty cheap used).. slap on a stall converter and bam mid-12's.. according to my friend that sells chevys anyway.. i'm considering doing that for a daily driver/drag car at some point.
Old 05-20-2001, 06:50 PM

Just Slap a SC'er on your S2K and you'll eat him up for lunch.

Quick Reply: Saleen punked out..