S2000 Street Encounters Stories of on-the-road exploits and encounters.

Smoked a 911 Turbo

Old 06-06-2001, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really! But I did get to race one last night.
I was on Greenville avenue in Dallas around 11:00 pm when I pulled up to the stoplight where Greenville and Caruth Haven intersect. Next thing I know, a brand new Porsche 911 turbo (expired paper plates still on) pulls up next to me and starts revving his engine. This guy was probably in his mid 50's. My girlfriend was in the car with me and said "I think he wants to race." Now I know I didn't stand a chance but I thought what the heck, I could make this guys day. After all, he was proud of his $100,000+ beauty. As soon as the light turned green, the race was over. I didn't even stand a chance. I dropped the clutch at about 8000 rpm and took off but I all I ever saw was the rear of his bumper, just like I expected. It was fun though and at the next light, he gave me a friendly wave as he turned off. Needless to say, I was just impressed that he wanted to race the Stook. I know it would have never happened if I had been in my Miata.

Note: No other cars were present at the time. I don't usually race on these types streets, but how many times do you get the chance to race a 911 turbo. Even when you know you're going to lose.
Old 06-06-2001, 09:20 AM

Yeah, I get a lot of people that just want to see "What it can do." I always hate the sport bikes that rev up on me (happens all the time). One time we were cruising our usual Saturday night stretch and I just floored it on one, even though I knew it wasn't a fair race. The guy just stayed steady with me, he'd punch it every once in a while to make me realize that he could break out at any moment if he wanted to.

At the next light he says, "I didn't realize those things were that fast!" So, maybe some people are just curious. I think a lot of them want to disprove what they read in the magazines...but they can't.

Wesmaster
Old 06-06-2001, 10:18 AM

i think it's fun to play, even if the other guy is a lot faster. if they're willing to play with you then most likely they'll be a good sport when they kick your ass!!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:16 AM

Yea that happens to me a lot. I FINALLY got to run with a Ferrari Modena (sp?). It was about 11 and I was coming down 35 north of Denton doing about 110 or so from my vacation in Iowa (of all places). I look over and getting on doing about 60 or so was the Ferrari. I slammed on my brakes and she noticed me and took off! I was keeping up, but traffic was kinda thick so it was hard to go that fast. We took it up to 130 or so and then she got off. Cute chick too, probably around 25. It was fun.
Old 06-08-2001, 10:30 AM

I have never done a straightline race with one, but I got behind one on one of my favorite stretches of twisty road. He couldnt shake me. At a couple spots I even bluffed a pass. From the look of concentration on his face (what I could see reflecting in his rearview mirror) and the couple moments where I believe I saw a hint of fear, I am pretty sure he was driving to the best of his ability. At the end you could see that he was soo pissed that this little Japanese, no soul, $70k less than his, car was basically all over his ass. Just goes to show, money and technology dont make someone a better driver.
Old 06-09-2001, 05:08 AM

What if you had a SC in your stook, you think things would had been different? Oh by the way, what did you girlfriend say? LOL, anyhows I'd be shock if a 911 turbo didn't do the kill. It's a good story though, just move on to the next light my friend.

DavS2K 01'

Blk/Blk
Old 06-10-2001, 02:10 AM

Hehehe...You fooled me with the title...Certainly the 911 Turbo will embarass the STooK. BTW, 911 TT is my next car on my wish list.
Old 06-10-2001, 06:56 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by skitz
[B]Yea that happens to me a lot.
Old 06-12-2001, 10:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DavS2K
[B]What if you had a SC in your stook, you think things would had been different?
Old 06-12-2001, 12:17 PM

Give me a break....even with a SC, the S2K would get its ass handed to it by a 911 tt.

Geez....

Quick Reply: Smoked a 911 Turbo