S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

00 vs 02 S2K

Old 07-23-2016, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00 vs 02 S2K

Hello. I haven't been on here for a while, life... I'm finally ready to buy my first S2K. I've been looking for months and finally have found 2 that I like. My goal was to find one with as low of miles as I could afford. They're SM and SS respectively. One has red interior and the other has black interior. The 00 has 77k miles, and is stock (which is what I'm looking for). The 02 is also stock and has 55k miles. They are within $750 of each other; and 100+ miles of one another. They're both in really good condition....so say the owners. Apparently the 02 trunk leaks, but I'm assuming it just needs a new trunk seal. And, there appears to be a small chip or crack in the plastic covering the instrument display (which I plan on asking about today). The 00 doesn't have any issues I'm aware of.

Honestly, I like them both. I'm leaning towards the 02 simply for the changes they made starting in 02. But, I wanted to ask on here; See what, if anything, this community has to say or recommend. I would like any recommendations or thoughts regarding the two different years. I've looked through the thread(s) on the differences between the years, but that doesn't translate into actual experience or issues. I will also print out the list of things to do and look for when test driving an S2K.

I've bought a few cars in my day. I've owned a 330ZHP, a E36M3, a insanely modded 540.....and more. But, I am so ready to own a S2K, I've loved them since I test drove one 7 years ago.

Thanks!

EDIT: Apparently the leak isn't due to the seal. The current owner told me it leaks where the quaterpanel meets the trunk area. It was in an accident before he owned it. The dealership he bought it from didn't disclose it to him. He told me it only leaks when it rains hard, and it's a small leak. No idea what it would cost to actually fix. Should I pass?
Old 07-23-2016, 07:21 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Do you want the crappy flexible plastic window in the '00 roof? How's the fabric on the cars? Can you drive a red interior car without getting nauseous?

The early cars had vicious snap oversteer and attempts to cure it were done every two years thereafter during the production life of the car. Late model cars even have stability assist to tame what some guys think is excitement. The '02 still has lots of it. You have to learn to drive the car and keep the rear end going straight for all model years, the learning curve is steeper on the older cars. A buddy put his '02 "in the cattails" soon after buying it two years ago. Change of underwear seemed to be the only damage but it happened.

Tires are vital in handling on the street. Cheap all-season tires will not optimize performance.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2016, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Do you want the crappy flexible plastic window in the '00 roof? How's the fabric on the cars? Can you drive a red interior car without getting nauseous?

The early cars had vicious snap oversteer and attempts to cure it were done every two years thereafter during the production life of the car. Late model cars even have stability assist to tame what some guys think is excitement. The '02 still has lots of it. You have to learn to drive the car and keep the rear end going straight for all model years, the learning curve is steeper on the older cars. A buddy put his '02 "in the cattails" soon after buying it two years ago. Change of underwear seemed to be the only damage but it happened.

Tires are vital in handling on the street. Cheap all-season tires will not optimize performance.

-- Chuck
Thanks for the candid reply Chuck. And, no, I do not want the plastic window. I like the red interior...however, the more I sit and think about it the more I think the red interior would get old, fast. I am a believer in tires that have a purpose. Winter tires for winter time, etc, etc. When I had ZHP I replaced the crappy tires it had with RE01Rs. Night and day difference. Eventually I'd get different rims and probably Michelin Pilot Super Sports. As for the oversteer, it's my biggest concern. So, lots of time will be spent gently pushing it to see how far it'll go before I'm doing 360s.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:18 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Crack in the plastic for the instrument cluster? Did the guy replace the cluster with a lower mile unit?
Old 07-23-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

It's easy to find an autocross course (or empty church parking log) and thrash the car around but what do you learm?

We all think we have skills and have even developed our own techniques over the course of several years. Problem is self-taught skills are seldom as efficient as professional-taught skills. Yeah they work but are they optimal or even efficient? I'm not sure my seat or wheel position is optimal. Seems to work (self-taught) but I'm willing to pay for some professional training. I'm trying to schedule the Mid-Ohio performance driving course.

I see this self-taught problem several times a year in firearms training courses. We're all expert shooters (and drivers), of course, we're American males after all! First day of a good 3-day "basic" pistol course is an eye opener even for the smuggest of us (including me). And too many of us try to skip to the level of professionals who do this daily and drive thousands of miles (shoot thousands of rounds). I'm expecting the same when I squeeze in the Mid Ohio course.

I remember the first few times I stalled a small airplane. Stalled is when the plane stops flying and falls out of the sky! I'm sure the first few aviators self-taught themselves the technique. I'm happy I had a professional instructor in the right seat.

-- Chuck
Old 07-23-2016, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
Crack in the plastic for the instrument cluster? Did the guy replace the cluster with a lower mile unit?
No, it's the original cluster. I can't attach an image and I don't have a url for it. It's really small. The current owner thinks it might be a result of whatever accident it was in. Beginning to worry about this 02, if I'm honest.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
It's easy to find an autocross course (or empty church parking log) and thrash the car around but what do you learm?

We all think we have skills and have even developed our own techniques over the course of several years. Problem is self-taught skills are seldom as efficient as professional-taught skills. Yeah they work but are they optimal or even efficient? I'm not sure my seat or wheel position is optimal. Seems to work (self-taught) but I'm willing to pay for some professional training. I'm trying to schedule the Mid-Ohio performance driving course.

I see this self-taught problem several times a year in firearms training courses. We're all expert shooters (and drivers), of course, we're American males after all! First day of a good 3-day "basic" pistol course is an eye opener even for the smuggest of us (including me). And too many of us try to skip to the level of professionals who do this daily and drive thousands of miles (shoot thousands of rounds). I'm expecting the same when I squeeze in the Mid Ohio course.

I remember the first few times I stalled a small airplane. Stalled is when the plane stops flying and falls out of the sky! I'm sure the first few aviators self-taught themselves the technique. I'm happy I had a professional instructor in the right seat.

-- Chuck
I get what you're saying. I know I'm not as skilled as I could be. If and when I get a S2K, I'll look into a performance driving course. I don't plan to autocross, but maybe I will. Who know. Got to find a car first.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:44 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by mriswith
EDIT: Apparently the leak isn't due to the seal. The current owner told me it leaks where the quaterpanel meets the trunk area. It was in an accident before he owned it. The dealership he bought it from didn't disclose it to him. He told me it only leaks when it rains hard, and it's a small leak. No idea what it would cost to actually fix. Should I pass?
If could take the car to a trusted repair shop to see how much it would be to repair properly it would give you a better idea.
Levi

Old 07-23-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm going to chime in quickly after reading your original post to say avoid the plastic window. My buddy has an 00 ap1 with the plastic window and he has to get out to fold the plastic every time he wants to put the top Down, which is just about every time he drives it, and it annoys the hell out of him lol. Just something to consider
Old 07-23-2016, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by NNY S2k
If could take the car to a trusted repair shop to see how much it would be to repair properly it would give you a better idea.
Levi
I can ask if he'd be willing to do that.

Quick Reply: 00 vs 02 S2K