S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2001 S2000 need advice

Old 03-04-2019, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please keep in mind these photos were taken 30 minutes ago with no prep. Like I said I haven't attempted to put it up for sale yet so we have not cleaned it or prepared it. This is as it was today in the garage with dust all over it. It's just as good as a brand new car, it's ridiculous. It's basically an older man that drove it very rarely and only on a very nice day.

Where would I find all 10 of these Vin numbers that were mentioned?

Thank you for the feedback!
Old 03-04-2019, 03:19 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Hfreak
The formula only works on average mileage cars from what I have seen, even then?
True enough. It is fairly apparent that owners with cars that have under 10K miles are going to do quite well when it comes time to sell regardless of the year model.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by xxyion
I dont understand why its a ridiculous statement. Wouldn't a lower price make it better for potential buyers? And sure maybe some people value an AP1 more than an AP2, but you do have to take year into account. Do you not think 24-25k a reasonable price for a AP1 with 17k miles?
I’m looking at this from the seller’s perspective so I would be interested in the price being as high as possible. And yes, you do have to take year into account. An older model in excellent shape is more valuable then a newer one. Obviously that is just MY opinion. I think $25k is low if it has been as cared for as it sounds like it has been.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if you got over 30K for that.

I agree; look into Bring A Trailer. They love low mileage S2000s. Mine came through there it was a good experience overall. Be aware that commenters will ask a lot of questions which you can head off. Take pictures of all 10 S2000 VINs (google it) and you'll stop a lot before they get going.

This car looks nearly mint and I think they'll love it.
Old 03-04-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 207 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Sbrandon01

Where would I find all 10 of these Vin numbers that were mentioned?
Inside hood, front bumper and both front fenders inside engine bay, both doors and inside where the doors close for the rear fenders, inside trunk deck and back bumper where trunk closes.
If you google it you should be able to find examples of where I’m referring to.
Old 03-04-2019, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Birdybog

Inside hood, front bumper and both front fenders inside engine bay, both doors and inside where the doors close for the rear fenders, inside trunk deck and back bumper where trunk closes.
If you google it you should be able to find examples of where I’m referring to.
Thank you! Good information!
Old 03-04-2019, 04:56 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

BaT in the spring is a good choice. I imagine $24,500. If you choose to use BaT, take excellent photos, especially underneath the car. BaT forums tend to look unfavourably on people selling cars there that don't provide those photos. The comments get pretty harsh with that oversight. I love the AP1, but prefer the 2003 version for what its worth.

However, these driven, but rarely driven cars are a bit of a concern for me personally- I know a local owner who drove her MY 2000 occasionally, amassing 60K miles before the engine let go in June 2017. The failure could have been prevented with a clutch interlock bypass, saving the thrust bearing.

I love the car you're presenting! good luck
darcy

Last edited by darcyw; 03-04-2019 at 04:59 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:20 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Birdybog
An older model in excellent shape is more valuable then a newer one. Obviously that is just MY opinion. I think $25k is low if it has been as cared for as it sounds like it has been.
That's just not true. The majority of these cars are still being purchased to be driven and the newer cars are bringing more money. Go ahead and take a look at all the cars sold on BAT and you'll see that this pretty much holds true. There are of course exceptions as with most things. Based on what I've seen, the collectors paying big money are focused on those cars with mileage hovering near four figures or less. I think $25K for this car is pretty realistic. It could end up being more or it could end up being less. Depends on the timing and who is looking at that point in time. The photos will make a big difference on BAT.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:29 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm coming just from looking at what cars do end up selling in my area. And while I do understand area can vary, ive generally noticed that low under 30k miles S2000 generally sell for around 25k after the price gets dropped continuously.

Now I wasn't saying that the user should start at 25k or that, thats the price. I just wanted to give the OP a ballpark number on what he might expect. If I were to give my honest opinion, I would start the car off at 30k and go from there. I wouldn't go lower than 25k. From the OPs post, he claims he is an S2000 noob. BAT is great but if people are bombarding you with questions about the car that are specific to it, either he will answer wrong and people wont bid, or he wont know and people wont bid. Its a big headache dealing with that many questions on something you may not have a decent knowledge of. I was purely giving him an alternative and a price point to start at.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:57 PM

I appreciate all the thoughts on this. I know very little about this car, only the information from my father who loves this car in is very excited about these. With that said, I am also a lifelong gearhead so i can learn quick. My passion was always trucks, Jeeps, K5 Blazers, dirt bikes and diesel engines, not sports cars. I totally respect the passion for these but it was never something i was passionate about. My dad was...but he is also a Jeep guy like me.

My goal is to understand them better and get an idea of what he can get for it and the best way to get top dollar for him. He's retired so his budget is important. He has a 2012 Jeep Rubicon also but really wants that Gladiator. Im hoping to sell both the Jeep and S2000 so he can pay cash for the new Jeep.

He is 74. If its what he wants then im going to try hard to make it all happen. Its probably the last vehicle toy he will buy.

lots of good info so far. Thank you.

Quick Reply: 2001 S2000 need advice