S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2004 honda lineup

Old 06-15-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6sigma,

That Inline six is too new to show what it is really made of. GM has made some engines that developed cracked heads after 4 years or so, even with low mileage. It seemed more age then mileage based.

In 2005, analog service can be discontinued according to the FCC. So all these people with OnStar will be screwed unless they upgrade their equipment. These carriers (Bell companies) will not continue it because it is a money loser.

The biggest XM shareholder is Honda followed by I think GM. XM almost went under and they went to GM and demanded more money from them and they almost refused. That is until they told GM what would happen, all these people that bought cars with one year free service would not get it because there would be no company to provide it and those radio units would be useless.

Just wait until they release the 8-6-4 back to the world. That will go over real well; again.

Ccarnel,

Don't forget that most of the Honda vehicles are LEV and ULEV. GM cannot say that about theirs either.

Lance
Old 06-16-2003, 07:34 AM

The base trans in their trucks needs to be more HD. The V8's need to get into the last 20th century and see some OHC models. Most of their engines are based upon OHV designs, which are becoming more and more inefficient. The only V8 they keep improving upon is the one in the vette. The northstar hasn't seen an upgrade in around 8 years. They talked about version 2 in 99 or 2000 and nothing has come of it. So what is good about the Caddy line? Take a Chevy, slap some fake wood on the interior, make some body mods and call it a Caddy is their new way.
What's wrong with fixing something that dosn't need to be fixed? The V8 pushrod engine (LS1) that was introduced in the 97 Corvette is arguably the best production pushrod engine ever produced, and GM is using variants of that engine in most of their V8 powered vehicles.

The 4L60e is pretty much a bullet proof tranny, I never had a problem with the one I owned, and I ragged the piss out of it, and if you want a heavy duty tranny, their 4L80e is VERY heavy duty.

As far a Cadillac, the XLR should be awesome.. and the 4.6 Northstar in it, with valve timing, cam phasing and some advanced throttle control is either new technology for it, or was VERY advanced when it was introduced in the mid 90's....
Old 06-16-2003, 11:08 AM

That is one engine out of how many they have? I had one going with less than 20,000 miles. Other had their go as well. They should have used the 80 in all the vehicles as the 60 was used in virtually everything else. The power output of the engines varied greatly while the trans stayed the same.

Why should it be up to the consumer to put the 80 in, GM should have done that from the start? The Northstar was last updates in