S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2004 S2000 - what ballpark range should I sell my car for?

Old 01-23-2020, 04:55 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Pretty close to my model. $22K - $2K (age) + $0 mileage = $20K.

The days of the $9,000 S2000 are long over.

-- Chuck
I got mine for $7,900 last year... haha
Old 01-23-2020, 04:59 PM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by joeA4
Hah, I know what you mean. That said, there's no way I park the 340i on the street. That thing is a beauty, and I take care of all of my cars to the max
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I would say there's more beauty in the S2000 than the 340i. Maybe not from a pure aesthetic, but 340 is nowhere near as special of a car compared to the S2000. And hence, beauty.
Old 01-23-2020, 05:38 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

have you ever changed the brake fluid? By the photo is looks rather dark- unless its ATE super blue (which is NLA).

That being said, what would I pay for it (because I really, really like this). I'd say $25,500 to $29,500 USD, depending on location and maintenance performed over the years. BaT has a fantastic graph of s2000 values. Try to make a car completely unquestionable when selling.

I'd still keep it, as your buy in when you regret selling it, will be much higher.

darcy
Old 01-23-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by darcyw
I'd say $25,500 to $29,500 USD, depending on location and maintenance performed over the years.
I'm more in line with darcy. $25K+ as an asking price was my first thought. If you have proof of a good history of maintenance then that certainly isn't going to hurt your cause. If you are thinking of listing the car nationally then you might consider waiting a few more months before doing so.

Your S is pretty sweet looking and would be hard to let go of. But I get it as I've spent many a day out on the river fishing while other S2000 owners were out ripping around in their cars, all with no regrets on my part. (Fortunately my boat is deflatable, packs down to fit in the back of my truck or on a shelf in my garage when not in use, and was cheap enough that I did not need to sell a car to purchase it.)
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

...and a boat is just a big hole in the water you throw money at...

darcy
Old 01-24-2020, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rich337
I just paid $21K for a one owner, unmolested '04 with 49K miles. I would have happily paid $5-7K more for yours. But yeah, don't sell it
Thanks for the words, Rich337. I definitely would prefer to sell to an enthusiast, such as yourself, that really values a low mileage, clean example. Wouldn't even mind selling for a bit less than I could get for it if it went to a good home.

Originally Posted by ahobie17
I just purchased a low mile 2007 (18,000) drive by wire which go for a little more and in having looked closely at AP2's this should be a low of $22K and an extremely high of $27K....research Bring a Trailer if you really want to sell it. I think this will do well there. You set the hidden reserve and only pay $100 to list and buyer pays a 5% buyers fee.
You can also pull up a history of S2K's and draw your own conclusions as to what it will bring.
Yahobie17, you're another one to bring up Bring a Trailer. I'll definitely look into this option further - thanks.

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I would say there's more beauty in the S2000 than the 340i. Maybe not from a pure aesthetic, but 340 is nowhere near as special of a car compared to the S2000. And hence, beauty.
Say Chi Sin Lo, I completely get what you're saying. S2000's are already classics in my book and such pure driving cars. The limited chances that I get to take the S2K out, I always have a grin rowing the gears and listening to the motor. It's special and hence why I've kept it for so long without selling it.

Originally Posted by GuthNW
I'm more in line with darcy. $25K+ as an asking price was my first thought. If you have proof of a good history of maintenance then that certainly isn't going to hurt your cause. If you are thinking of listing the car nationally then you might consider waiting a few more months before doing so.

Your S is pretty sweet looking and would be hard to let go of. But I get it as I've spent many a day out on the river fishing while other S2000 owners were out ripping around in their cars, all with no regrets on my part. (Fortunately my boat is deflatable, packs down to fit in the back of my truck or on a shelf in my garage when not in use, and was cheap enough that I did not need to sell a car to purchase it.)
GuthNW, I hear you and Darcy on letting it go and regretting it (and perhaps buying in again down the line). I've mulled it for a few years now. Also, you and I both have inflatable fishing boats - ha. I go fishing out on the ocean, though, and it's a pain to keep inflating/deflating it (mine's a 12 foot inflatable), so having a dedicated hard-shell boat on a trailer would be a relief and safer. Money-wise, I've been maintaining the boat/outboard motors myself much like my cars, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a money pit, as I've kept my expenses on my current inflatable set-up very reasonable.

The following users liked this post:
rich337 (01-24-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 06:13 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd say 23-25K is a reasonable offer. State and demand and maintenance has a lot to do with it.
joeA4 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-24-2020, 09:13 PM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by joeA4
GuthNW, I hear you and Darcy on letting it go and regretting it (and perhaps buying in again down the line). I've mulled it for a few years now. Also, you and I both have inflatable fishing boats - ha. I go fishing out on the ocean, though, and it's a pain to keep inflating/deflating it (mine's a 12 foot inflatable), so having a dedicated hard-shell boat on a trailer would be a relief and safer. Money-wise, I've been maintaining the boat/outboard motors myself much like my cars, so hopefully it wouldn't be too much of a money pit, as I've kept my expenses on my current inflatable set-up very reasonable.
I was only relating how I would feel about such a dilemma. But at this point I am guessing that you have a pretty good idea what your priorities are. If you avoid looking at it from a purely monetary standpoint, it sounds as though the boat will ultimately bring more happiness to your life than the S. I figure that when making the decision to let go of a car like the S2000 it is better to have owned and experienced the car for yourself for whatever period of time rather than not having done so at all.
joeA4 (01-26-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 03:02 PM

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

I agree with asking in the mid-$20,000 range for the car, and that BringaTrailer.com might be well worth considering. But living in southern California, have you considered parking in outside in your driveway (under a cover)? I get that these cars are thief-magnets, but the weather isn't a huge threat and a cover just might do the trick if you really want to keep the car. However, if you're looking for an excuse to sell it, a fishing boat isn't a bad one!
Old 01-27-2020, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can definitely get mid-20s. I’ve seen clean 04-05 with close to 100k or low 100k miles go for mid to high teens.

Quick Reply: 2004 S2000 - what ballpark range should I sell my car for?