S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

2009 Berlina with *91* miles on BAT @ $50k

Old 02-27-2019, 08:23 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a great comment from someone on BAT:

FYI, it didn’t take long but since i bowed out the other day, I bought a 2000 with under 10,000 miles and a 2009 with just over 10,000 miles, so I have an AP1 and an AP2 to compare. and drive….. I bought both for less than my last bid of $61,500. Look around , I found 2 slightly used, clean carfax and title, all VIN tags, that I can drive and enjoy, for much less than this one that probably won’t get driven and I would guess you’ll see at an auction this August.
How much happier is he gonna be with 2 nice Ss to drive rather than a museum piece sitting in the garage for 8 months before it's resold? Smart decision.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:03 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,918 Posts

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
This is a great comment from someone on BAT:

How much happier is he gonna be with 2 nice Ss to drive rather than a museum piece sitting in the garage for 8 months before it's resold? Smart decision.
Depends entirely on what his intentions were for the car. The one on BaT won't be driven, if he was looking for one to drive this shouldn't have been on his radar, IMHO.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:35 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Video on YouTube about it

Old 03-02-2019, 11:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Only 2 bidders on this car. One bid $60k, then the second went straight to $70k, where the auction ended. Both of them bought S2000s in the last week. I'm guessing there are no more bidders in this price range were another one to come to market in the same condition.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

In the last year I've seen a few sell in this range.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:05 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by ragtophardtop
Only 2 bidders on this car. One bid $60k, then the second went straight to $70k, where the auction ended. Both of them bought S2000s in the last week. I'm guessing there are no more bidders in this price range were another one to come to market in the same condition.
I think the previous owner who stated the car wasn't in as pristine condition as the "zero owner" should've been swayed a lot of potential bidders. $70k is still a decent sale, but I think it may have gone higher if it didn't have the history it does.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
I think the previous owner who stated the car wasn't in as pristine condition as the "zero owner" should've been swayed a lot of potential bidders. $70k is still a decent sale, but I think it may have gone higher if it didn't have the history it does.
Curious as to what was wrong with the car and where it was mentioned.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:25 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Apparently wear and tear from letting untold numbers of people climb in and out of the interior, and brush up against the black paint while in a showroom.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:29 AM
Site Moderator

Originally Posted by freq
Previous owner commented about it on BaT. The reason for the seat covers in the plastic bags was because they were replaced due to wear from the car sitting in a car dealer showroom for years.

I sold this car just a few months ago and felt it was going into a collection and I’d never have to kick myself for selling.Now with the internet rubbing it in my face I’m forced to watch it changes hands for the third time in as many months. But it is SO exciting to see so much enthusiasm for this S2K!I bought the car from Hillside Honda nearly three years ago. After several weeks of anticipation it finally arrived. Elation immediately switched to disappointment when I inspected the car.They had originally claimed that the car had been stored by the dealership owner for many years. It turned out that the car has actually been left in the showroom and I can only assume hundreds of people had sat in it. The door sills were both worn, the shifter tattered and holes are present in the seat surfaces. The front bumper had a deep scar in the paint, and the paint overall had tons of minor scratches (especially on the rockers).

Additionally they had falsely claimed the car had never had the warranty punched. Also not true.Thankfully, the dealership (after months of arguing) was willing and able to source the seat covers and interior bits. But wasn’t willing to budge on helping with the paint. They were also miraculously able to get the OEM Honda warranty reinstated. But I was still bummed and let the car sit in my garage for years after only driving it a handful of times.I ended up buying an AP1 with 10k miles from the original owner, including hardtop, and have driven it a LOT. The black one was only going to gather dust in the back of my car barn and when Graham found out about the car he snapped it up! Apparently he changed his mind and is going to enjoy his AP1 instead! I believe (hope) that all of the cosmetics have been addressed as it was a shame that a 90 mile car didn’t look like it!

I hope @luigit wins and drives the car as it was intended! Having it sit for ten years or more without gaining any more miles will be a shame!
Graham Rahal bought the car from the guy who posted the above. My guess is Graham was also unimpressed by the condition of the car and subsequently sold it to the guy who listed it on BaT.