S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.
View Poll Results: Accidents and Age
15 to 20 years
34.48%
21 to 25
31.03%
26 to 30
13.79%
31 to 35
0%
36 to 40
3.45%
40+
17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Accidents and Age

Old 02-24-2003, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The responses to this poll won't represent anything close to a statisticallly valid sample of all S2000 owners, so trying to use them to validate or invalidate insurance company practices is pretty fruitless.

However, it's very interesting -- and probably a bit more relevant -- when viewed against common threads here on s2ki.com.

I keep seeing posts that talk about how easy this car can "bite" -- particularly about the tires and how easy it is to lose control in the rain, or whenever the temperature gets below 40F, etc. On the other hand, I've driven mine in below freezing weather (with no ice on the road), and in the rain with the temperature in the 30s, and have not had any problems.

I've wondered whether most of those comments were from younger drivers who simply lacked the judgement/experience to drive sensibly in those conditions. (Note: I did NOT say that all younger drivers lack that judgement.)

This poll might be a good indicator of that.
Old 02-24-2003, 06:05 PM

>In the other scenario, old guys have the most resources, but can't really enjoy it. Why can't it be the other way around?

Well, I'm one of those "old guys". Sure, I've got a lot more resources than I did thirty years ago. But I also enjoy the hell out of my S2K. I've had it over 100 a few times, I get a rush when I VTEC, and I love leaving tailgaters in the dust when I go around a corner.

The difference between me and SOME younger drivers is that I only do it when conditions make the risk very small.

I don't enjoy driving hard any less -- just less often.
Old 02-24-2003, 07:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by baritone
[B]The responses to this poll won't represent anything close to a statisticallly valid sample of all S2000 owners, so trying to use them to validate or invalidate insurance company practices is pretty fruitless.

I've wondered whether most of those comments were from younger drivers who simply lacked the judgement/experience to drive sensibly in those conditions. (Note:
Old 02-25-2003, 11:23 AM

Here are some previous polls on the age of S2K owners who frequent the forum. Cross reference these and the current poll for a more accurate idea of accident rates per age group.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...p?threadid=5080

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=96176

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=102702
Old 02-25-2003, 02:20 PM

Well, I went around once, and hit nothing. Was not aggressive driving at all. Just as winter started to settle in, 40deg, raining, rear tires had 9k of hard miles w/auto-x (and yes I spin in auto-x about once per five runs ), and just got caught a tad off guard. I'm 24, this would be my only mishap with the S. I have never been in an accident, as driver or as a passenger in 8 years of driving, and stopped knocking on wood 3 years ago . No speeding tickets or moving violations for 4 years. Never made an insurance claim since I started driving IMO a lil'bit of a freak accident, and this is my first RWD car.
Steve
Old 02-25-2003, 03:46 PM

I just looked at the latest poll of forum users by age (and also included my own).

Here is an observation about the distribution of our ages that may be obvious: It is a two-humped camel (bi-modal for you statisticians out there). I'll guess that the low frequency of forum users in their middle years in the poll is because people in that age group are more likely to have children. Whether the kids prevent people from having a roadster because (1) they need more seats, (2) they have no money to spend on one, and/or (3) they have no time to drive one is a curiosity to me, anyway. (In my case, it was all three.) However, my Honda dealer said they had never sold an S2000 to anyone over 30 before!

Has anyone seem a similar age poll for Miata and Boxter forums?

Also (and I'm not yet a candidate), I recommend that the oldest S2000 user of this forum should get some recognition and send us a photo with car and a little info. including other cars owned. If this is not of general interest, S2KI could open a "Geezer Forum," which I would happily participate in!
Old 02-25-2003, 04:17 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by baritone
[B]>In the other scenario, old guys have the most resources, but can't really enjoy it. Why can't it be the other way around?

Well, I'm one of those "old guys".
Old 02-25-2003, 05:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Thoe99
[B]

I got a quote on my insurance once I save up enough for an S2000...let me put it this way.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:15 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm clean with no accidents so far with my bicycle.
Old 02-25-2003, 05:42 PM

Received 1,426 Likes on 1,117 Posts

It does seem like the rate of accidents per age group very closely resembles the rate of ownership per age group. That may very will be the relationship.

Quick Reply: Accidents and Age