S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ACL Surgery... No S2K :(

Old 05-06-2017, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ACL Surgery... No S2K :(

Well, after reading the first 11 pages of andrewhake's build and progression thread, I felt emotionally inclined to post my own sentiments. If you haven't already, take some time to read through his "Mk I - Stage II" thread (I am still
working on reading through it as I type) and I'm sure you will find yourself wanting to run out to your S and thank it for its existence and presence in your life. His passion for the S2000, and Hondas in general, is amazing; even inspirational. It makes me happy to be a part of such a lively, wonderful community where we can all share our own unique experiences with this fantastic machine.
Two days ago I had ACL surgery and as such I am unable to drive- or do much of anything, really. Just wanted to post and see if anyone else has had this or a similar surgery and how long it was until you could get back into driving? Especially the S, as it's a small vehicle which takes a little
more effort maneuvering in/out of. Obviously I am not looking for any serious medical advice Just converstion of your own experiences!!
As I am nearing the end of this post, I realize that it is because I can't experience my own S at this moment (and at the inspiration of "andrewhake") that I am seeking for fellow owners to speak out about their cars. So please, share a story with me, help me escape my S2000-less prison!!! lol
Old 05-07-2017, 05:34 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Just know this - you will heal, this will be behind you and your s will be waiting like a good friend always does.
Recovery is anywhere between 2-6 months (source Google). Given you live in Florida you should get some seat time yet this year even if you have a full 6 month recovery - so feel happy about that. ! In the great north you'd have to put the car to bed in Nov and need to wait another long 5-6 months for winter to pass!

I don't have too many great stories for you as I'm just getting to know my S2k (I bought it in Oct then it went into storage until last month). The last few days I had it out in the "country" and was able to really open it up on some twisty roads. It's a bit of a learning curve for me coming from AWD vehicles for the last decade and how much small throttle adjustments can affect rotation in turns. I'm also really impressed with the stopping power! 90-30 seems to take 3 seconds with no ABS intervention.

Rest up and eat healthy. What you put in your body will directly impact the quality and speed of your recovery.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:57 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You will be fine. I've had 3 total ACL reconstructions, 2left 1 right knee. Keep that knee moving! Did you do pre op physical therapy?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:26 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Do the PT. It will come around. I don't think you need it to be 100% before you start driving the S.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:33 PM

Thanks a lot for the kind words! This is my second knee operation, the first being a menesectomy about 5 years ago. Apparently the ACL is much more serious however. Both were due to soccer injuries.
I didn't do any notable pre-op exercise/training although I wish I had to help with the muscle atrophy and recovery. I meet with the Doc this upcoming Thursday to discuss rehab and removal of stitches and the like. Hopefully he will tell me I don't have to sleep with this cursed "spined" brace any longer. I feel so confined it's frustrating lol
Old 05-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by EsA2000
Thanks a lot for the kind words! This is my second knee operation, the first being a menesectomy about 5 years ago. Apparently the ACL is much more serious however. Both were due to soccer injuries.
I didn't do any notable pre-op exercise/training although I wish I had to help with the muscle atrophy and recovery. I meet with the Doc this upcoming Thursday to discuss rehab and removal of stitches and the like. Hopefully he will tell me I don't have to sleep with this cursed "spined" brace any longer. I feel so confined it's frustrating lol
Dang it, pre op surgery is a must before ACL surgery its about to be a long recovery but you'd be fine. You will be back to driving in a month or two
Old 05-07-2017, 09:02 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I had a grade two MCL tear in my right knee - was about 8 weeks before driving. Getting in and out was the hardest part, then fatigue in the knee on extended drives. Make sure you do the prescribed therapy and you'll be back to new fairly quickly. Swimming and spin class helped a lot with staying in shape and coping.

Mine was also from soccer. Went in for a tackle with the instep but for some reason my knee didn't lock and went out
Old 05-07-2017, 09:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I daily driven my S2000 with a PCL (not ACL) avulsion. The pedal throw on all 3 of the pedals aren't that large. You can do it with your ankles well enough.

Still haven't repaired my avulsion. Did PT and exercises to strengthen the rest of the knee. Can't fix it with arthroscopic. Has to be an open reconstruction, and the ortho agreed with me that pain post-op won't be better or worse than pre-op.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:48 AM

Man two months from the S will surely feel like an eternity.
That was my main concern, arsenal, getting in and out of the car you must be pretty far along in your recovery to swoop in there, especially with my right knee being the culprit.
My injury was even less glorious than yours haha at least you were in action. I was chasing a guy in a muddy centerfield and quickly changed direction. However I slid in strange way, the inside of my foot towards the ground and away from my body, and then all my weight falling on my knee. There was a loud "POP" and I knew I tore something... Knee injuries are brutal lol
I am glad to hear those of you who have done the surgery are much better now though, at least there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.

Unbeliever, it sounds like you will have to have quite an invasive surgery to fix everything... I almost didn't do the surgery for mine because people suggested that with muscle training and exercise I could gain back the stability. I am
young though and would like to have playing sports at 100% still be an option. I had my ACL torn for over a year and only really had trouble with long drives and of course high-intensity sports.
Good luck to you!
Old 05-15-2017, 08:55 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the kind words, glad to hear the time and effort put into all the posts is worth it fore more people than just me. Check the link in my signature for a bit more organized version of my thread.

Quick Reply: ACL Surgery... No S2K :(