S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Added CAI to SC (Pics)...

Old 04-14-2001, 01:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold most of the RM Racing cool air intake to Unicron but I kept the hose and scoop so that I could install it with the SC. I went ahead and put the hosing and scoop back to where they were before the SC was installed. Now I've got cool air being routed to the air box.

Air box with top off:

Scoop with part of grill removed:

Scoop with part of grill removed:

Air box on:

Scoop with grill back on:

Wesmaster
Old 04-14-2001, 07:19 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Uhm, you already had cold air coming into the SC.
Old 04-14-2001, 08:56 PM

nice NACA duct...too bad it doesn't work that way
Old 04-15-2001, 06:55 AM

Uhm, you already had cold air coming into the SC.

krazik,

Sure...his carbon fiber box is a cold air intake setup...but that scoop is a "ram air" setup.

nice NACA duct...too bad it doesn't work that way
Roceye,

Are you saying that cold air doesn't get forced in through that duct when the car is moving? Because that is totally not the case.
Old 04-15-2001, 03:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Unicron
[B]
Roceye,

Are you saying that cold air doesn't get forced in through that duct when the car is moving?
Old 04-15-2001, 04:08 PM

Wesmaster,

Here is my "take" on the CAI:

with its two filters located behind each front bumper vent

I don't think we need any "ram air effect" because our SC will draw air as it compresses on the other side. So, regardless how much air we supply it, it will still only move air at its designed rate.

My opinion (after looking into the fender-well where the Comptech filter box draws its air from) was that there was not a plentiful amount of free-flowing cold air... plus my dual open filters generates some great intake noise!
Old 04-15-2001, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Shaner, that line or reasoning might carry some weight with a turbo (which can be designed to produce a fixed amount of boost regardless of inlet pressure - within reason), but with a fixed drive supercharger, the higher your inlet pressure the better.

Each rotation of the compressor section will move a certain volume of air. But what we're really concerned with is the mass of air we move. This is dependent on temperature, pressure and volume. If the supercharger inlet has access to cooler, higher pressure air, you'll move a larger mass of air, which equates to more power.

UL

p.s. - cooler intake temps and higher inlet pressures are nice with turbos too. Cooler air means more power and higher inlet pressures may mean reduced lag and reduced time to full boost.
Old 04-15-2001, 05:10 PM

UL,

Am I providing higher pressure cold air with my setup? Both of my filters are in the path of moving air... or am I doing a bad thing with my long piping? What about Comptech's box which draws air from a rather "stagnant" fenderwell?
Old 04-15-2001, 05:12 PM

Nice setup Shaner.

My thought process was simply this, if I can route cooler air into the area surrounding the filter, then the SC is sure to suck in cooler air, which is better for many reasons.

I love the grill, btw. I sent my order for them in a few days ago but haven'te received confirmation - I might have to follow up on that.

Shaner, I posted a response to the SC / Rims / Wheels response you posted. The wheels you're running on, they're only for dry - so they're even worse in the wet than S02's? Is there something similar in the same size that is for all-weather?

Wesmaster
Old 04-15-2001, 05:25 PM

Wesmaster,

The BF Goodrich G-Force T/A KDW tires are better performance tires for wet weather (the 'D' after the K is for dry optimization and 'W' for wet)... My tires are the KD ones with large contact patches for dry. If it rains, I take the other car...

Plus, the KDWs are a little cheaper too...

Quick Reply: Added CAI to SC (Pics)...