S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Advice on Resale of OEM Parts

Old 05-10-2018, 10:51 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts
Default Advice on Resale of OEM Parts

I've held on to my OEM Exhaust, Catalytic Converter, Springs and OEM intake - all were removed from the car last year when I installed aftermarket parts.
If I sell the car I'd sell as is and not return to stock. The car now has a KW kit so even less likelyhood that I'd re-install any of those parts.
I'm doing some spring cleaning of the garage and figured I'd part ways with these and gain some room. Is there any market for any of these parts? I listed them on Craigslist and have had no interest after a week...
Just looking for what some of you have done with your old OEM parts as listed above??
Old 05-10-2018, 05:57 PM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I've held on to my OEM Exhaust, Catalytic Converter, Springs and OEM intake - all were removed from the car last year when I installed aftermarket parts.
If I sell the car I'd sell as is and not return to stock. The car now has a KW kit so even less likelyhood that I'd re-install any of those parts.
I'm doing some spring cleaning of the garage and figured I'd part ways with these and gain some room. Is there any market for any of these parts? I listed them on Craigslist and have had no interest after a week...
Just looking for what some of you have done with your old OEM parts as listed above??
If you do your research on prices, try eBay. Factor in shipping so you can offer "free shipping". Helps the sale.
Old 05-10-2018, 06:10 PM

Thanks - I'm not going to ship this stuff.
I'll just re-list on craigslist with better pictures for local pick-up.
Old 05-11-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

There is a definite and active market for these parts on Ebay -- and here -- and shipping everything other than the exhaust is simple.

Buddy of mine retrofitted the proper springs and shocks to his 2002 car that had been lowered by a previous owner. He also fitted the AC that had been removed, all from Ebay. I sold my OEM catalytic converter and mailed it from Ohio to California. I think the '06 exhaust tips went that way too. Easy. Just need a box. I've retained the OEM intake. The OEM exhaust went on the curb (less cat and tips) due to no local interest and I was moving.

-- Chuck
Old 05-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There is a definite and active market for these parts on Ebay -- and here -- and shipping everything other than the exhaust is simple.

Buddy of mine retrofitted the proper springs and shocks to his 2002 car that had been lowered by a previous owner. He also fitted the AC that had been removed, all from Ebay. I sold my OEM catalytic converter and mailed it from Ohio to California. I think the '06 exhaust tips went that way too. Easy. Just need a box. I've retained the OEM intake. The OEM exhaust went on the curb (less cat and tips) due to no local interest and I was moving.

-- Chuck
Thanks!
I think I'll hold on to and try and sell the tips, cat, springs, intake. Greater exhaust prob getting curbed. Those other parts are much smaller.
Much appreciated!
Old 05-11-2018, 08:55 AM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
There's definitely a market for used OEM parts in good condition. These cars are getting older and parts are getting harder to find.

Depending on your region, prices will vary, due to demand. But in SoCal, here's what those items are worth:

OEM Exhaust: $80-120
OEM Cat: $150-200 (these have been on the rise, especially in CA where we need them for smog)
OEM Springs: $25 springs only. ($80-150 for shocks/springs together)
OEM Intake: $100

Out of all those items, i'd say the best investment to keep would be the cat. It's the smallest item and worth the most--and will continue to rise in price as cat's deteriorate and people don't want to pay new prices. Intake wouldn't be bad to keep and try to sell since it's not very heavy and can easily fit in a large box. You might as well throw away the springs. Exhaust better send to the recyclers (except tips as mentioned) as well unless someone local needs one. Exhausts are one of those items that no one will ever really care about in the future since they don't have anything to do with emissions, especially since they're so hard to transport.
Old 05-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

I couldn't get anyone to take my OEM exhaust for free so I took the tips off and tossed it (I was also moving to a different state and it didn't make sense to lug that thing with me). If you can get someone that wants it then go for it. The other stuff is easy to ship and it will give you a much bigger market. Buy a cheap scale on amazon and then you can print all your postage online and just drop it off at the post office. I agree on keeping the cat. I still have mine just in case.

My recommendation when selling a car is to return it to as close to stock as possible and sell the aftermarket parts. Aftermarket parts have much less value when included in a sale than they do by themselves and can often cause the sale of the car to take longer.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:18 PM

Thanks all! Great input. I agree on the exhaust - bye bye LOL. I'll keep the tips. Same with springs.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I can respect the decision you've made to leave the car modified if you do go on to sell it. Returning it to stock form would require a fair bit of time and effort. You'll already take a big hit on selling the car modified as opposed to returning the car to stock form and selling off the aftermarket goodies separately. The money you'll lose by giving away your OEM parts now will pale in comparison so you're best bet would likely be to just give your OEM parts now, freeing up the space they're consuming and freeing you up of any further hassle which it sounds like is your primary objective.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I was one of the rare people what was interested in an OEM exhaust. I wanted to try the UK Mod and be able to go back to stock if I hated it. Think I paid $100 for it.

Quick Reply: Advice on Resale of OEM Parts