S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Advice someone who's been conned?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Si Isnt Enough
I'd like to see the work that was done.
I'll post picks up later.
Old 05-19-2012, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by SkateForGirl
Post pics Op. Sucks to see this happened but you should have been more careful.
I know. What drives me crazy is that I imagine these guys sitting around laughing at my stupidity in front of beautiful women, in addition to, the money lost.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by s2kPA
Two Arrests Made in Aspen Hill Mobile Auto Repair Scam

Police arrested Steve Adams, age 41, and Sean Tony Marks, age 34—both of the 14300 block of Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring—on October 11, charging the two men with malicious destruction of property while performing illegal mobile auto body repair.

On October 6, an officer from the 4th District was tipped off that there may be illegal body repair work occurring in the parking lot of the Home Depot at 14000 Georgia Avenue in Aspen Hill. Upon arrival, officers observed two suspects applying concrete mud to a victim’s vehicle. When questioned, the victim stated that two males approached him in the Home Depot parking lot and offered to repair body damage on his vehicle for approximately $620.00. A repair shop later estimated the damage done to the vehicle by the suspects to be approximately $2,500.00.

The police have identified one additional victim and there may be more. If you believe you have been a victim of the illegal auto body repair work done by these two suspects, please call the 4th District Community Services Officer at 240-777-5500.

http://wheaton-md.patch.com/articles...to-repair-scam

so unless the cops actually physically see them doing this, they cant do anything about it, unfortunately...this would not help this guy in this case...and the funny thing is a verbal contract is a he said she said thing and i garauntee you no judge is going to hear that shit...im sorry man, but you live and you learn...it sucks, but it is what it is....noone would touch my car as far as body work except a honda dealership with a body shop and even then i would read reviews, ask for peoples credentials and take a look in the shop...im also a mechanic so i know how to spot the shisty shit
Old 05-20-2012, 05:35 AM

I never even entertain a proposition from someone who is just driving around. I have been offered various products and services several times at the gas station, mall whatever..

"hey man, I have cheap stereo equipment, I got it wholesale somewhere.." Nah man Im good.

I think the lesson learned here besides if it sounds to good to be true it is, is to just listen to your intuition.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Sorry to sound so cold, but that's the way it is. It bothers me to see someone's employee doing work "on the side" for profit. If one is helping a friend at no charge, that's ok, but to charge people, that is just wrong. When you deal with a real business, body shop or mechinacal, the owner has big overhead and has to comply with all legal issues, state and federal laws, and provides jobs for his/her workers. I would guess very few shop owners make huge profits, have second homes, or a yacht down at the harbor. Good chance he or she will be there to honor any warranties and take care of any issues with the work performed. That is in part what one pays for. What is the overhead of some guy working out of the trunk of his car with no business licence??

My 2 pennies.
Old 05-20-2012, 11:22 AM

Not much you can do. Verbal contracts are junk. Always get it in writing and never from someone driving by on the street. Make sure you disclose this to the new S2k owner.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I read your entire post and feel very bad, but like others said you got greedy and lost sight of common sense even for a split moment but we all live and learn.

Years ago when I was younger I got conned once too outside a popular mall near the Bank ATM. I was just depositing some cash and as I was walking to my car, these two guys rolled up in a clean SUV and asked if I wanted a killer deal on some home theater speakers. I got curious and asked them questions which sealed my fate. They pulled over and opened their trunk which had a ton of these name brand bi-polar speakers. The price started at $800/pair but quickly dropped down to virtually $200/pair. I should have smelled trouble but I got all excited and paid the guy 200 bucks. I'm sure you guys know the rest of this story but when I got home, basically I paid $200 for nice firewood. The speakers were just made to look nice with piano black tops but the rest was Made in China garbage. Talk about feeling like a sucker.....
Old 05-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s4play
I read your entire post and feel very bad, but like others said you got greedy and lost sight of common sense even for a split moment but we all live and learn.

Years ago when I was younger I got conned once too outside a popular mall near the Bank ATM. I was just depositing some cash and as I was walking to my car, these two guys rolled up in a clean SUV and asked if I wanted a killer deal on some home theater speakers. I got curious and asked them questions which sealed my fate. They pulled over and opened their trunk which had a ton of these name brand bi-polar speakers. The price started at $800/pair but quickly dropped down to virtually $200/pair. I should have smelled trouble but I got all excited and paid the guy 200 bucks. I'm sure you guys know the rest of this story but when I got home, basically I paid $200 for nice firewood. The speakers were just made to look nice with piano black tops but the rest was Made in China garbage. Talk about feeling like a sucker.....
My dad got those same ones lol.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Danwolski
Originally Posted by s4play' timestamp='1337637313' post='21717967

My dad got those same ones lol.
Had that happen to me also but, didn't buy.
Also, had an experience with the dent removal guys that do work on side. I just didn't accept their offer for a quick fix.

Good Luck with this OP.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:03 AM

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts

You live and you learn, chalk it up as a lesson, we've all learned the hard way one way or another. #1- Never pay someone until work is done. #2- If it's too good to be true, it probably is.

Funny because my now wife, had the same bullshit pulled on her many years ago (guys pulled up next to her saying they could fix her dent). The funny part is that she called me and asked me if she should do it (and I of course said Hell No!), but apparently later I found out she called and asked me already after the guys started working. I can laugh about it now, but man was I pissed at the time. Of course the job was a crappy job where they slapped some bondo on the side, and then painted it, calling it "fixed."

To address someone else's point, there's nothing wrong with people doing work on the side or having someone do work on the side for your car. As long as they are actually reputable (wearing a shirt of a body shop doesn't mean much, for all you know all they do is wash cars), having them do body work on the side is a-ok. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Advice someone who's been conned?