S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AEM V2

Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM V2

Had my first run in with AEM hydrolock this morning : I wake up to go to work and find that a sprinkler, decided to water my car rather than the plants, PIST off because I know its is going to leave waterspots all over the car and I cant wash the car until after work. So i get in the car go to start it and stutter stutter stutter......... it hits me..... kind of paniced i hit the start button trying to recall how to turn it off ( ) finally turn the key off. I get out the car, now i am truly pist, my engine could be gone and its all my fault and the sprinklers . So i take apart the intake and water POURS! out of it, at least a gallon, that thing collects water perfectly, open the throttle body water comes out, now im am starting to freak out, I dry everything out, and start the car... its stutters a bit but then calms down and seems to be running fine.

SORRY for the long post, but for all those AEM users be cautious and react quickly, I have the drain plug taped up and have the umbrella, so I am purplexed on how so much water got into the intake but it DID, so just a heads up

Also anything else I should be looking for after a close run in with hydrolock
thanks guys

WHY does something that sounds so good have to be so bad
Old 04-18-2005, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

I would change your oil right away to make sure no water got in. Change the oil two times to be sure. Good luck....was your car on a incline or any sort? The water source was only from the sprinkler?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow how did it get soaked by the sprinkler?
Old 04-18-2005, 01:38 PM
Banned

I don't understand why anyone thinks that umbrella will help at all. If someone could point it out, please do.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by FraudulentNeon,Apr 18 2005, 01:38 PM
I don't understand why anyone thinks that umbrella will help at all. If someone could point it out, please do.
The reason why an umbrella would help is because the water that is dripping into the intake is comming from above. By puttin an umbrella on top of the intake where it is exposed to dripping watter will prevent that water from getting into the intake directly.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it is supposed to stop water from draining onto the intake filter.

i dont know i dont have an umbrella nor do I have that drain hole plugged. knock on wood, but i've driven through some torrential rain, and had it pour on my car and i've never had a problem. i've even driven through some puddles.
Old 04-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Fishfryer527

In addition to the oil change, keep an eye on the coolant. I understand there may be a 'sniff' test to check for hydrocarbons. I had a flywheel get chewed up on my old corvette (1970 454/390), thought it was hydrolock (wasn't) and looked into this situation. You may have overpressurized or cracked something delicate and when it warms up it expands and the problems go away.

I hate to be paranoid about things (but I am), I hope I am wrong (i usually am).

I guess this answered my curiosity about going to a cold air filter situation.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:43 PM

no problems with the KN FIPK!
Old 04-18-2005, 03:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=FraudulentNeon,Apr 18 2005, 01:38 PM]I don't understand why anyone thinks that umbrella will help at all.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:16 PM

The real problem is the design. The filter should not angle up unless you're running a 4x4 snorkle.
It should run down hill from the throttle body or you're just asking for water injestion.

It looks like a tub trap to me:

Quick Reply: AEM V2