S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Air Conditioning Sporadic

Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioning Sporadic

My AC is sporadic because it "clicks" on and off every 30 seconds or so all the time. You can tell when it is on obviously by the colder air that blows out and then when it click off its semi-cold air. I can actually hear a click and then the fan increases speed which is followed by colder air until it clicks off again. It's as if its taking a rest every once in a while.

The cabin does stay cold so its not a huge deal, just wondering if thats normal? If not, would a re-charge fix this or is it a mechanical issue?
Old 07-13-2008, 07:31 PM

Air conditioning units normally cycle like that, where they click on and off, but normally the air will stay cold enough where you wont notice. The only thing i could guess is that your low on AC coolant, and the pressure isn't holding when the AC motor turns off. Thats a complete guess so lets see what everyone else has to say!
Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 PM

I think it's normal because on my car is cycles on and off at times too but only if there was a way to rewire where it can stay on all the time that would be great!
Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Yea so I guess it is normal but I definitely notice when it clicks off that the air is considerably warmer and don't really enough when that air is blowing in my face. Still better than nothing, but annoying.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason it's clicking on and off is because it's going on defrost mode when it clicks off.

Goes on defrost mode when the pipes that the air is blowing through to get it colder starts to freeze up. There is a sensor that lets the system know those pipes are freezing up and cycles the system on defrost mode(which turns the compressor off, then about 1-2 min later it turns it back on). It's how the system works.

Sometime the defrost sensor is off caliberation and/or goes bad.
Good luck.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmakr,Jul 15 2008, 03:38 PM
Yea so I guess it is normal but I definitely notice when it clicks off that the air is considerably warmer and don't really enough when that air is blowing in my face. Still better than nothing, but annoying.
Most AC units will cycle to melt the ice that builds up on the evaporator coils. Particularly prone to do so when outside air is being drawn on a very humid or rainy day. Sometimes during the defrost cycle fog can be seen comming out of the vents. Ice buildup is probably highest on a low fan speed. May or may not be what you are seeing.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:17 PM

I always keep it on the 1st-3rd fan speed and very rarely have the fan speed higher so I may be causing more cycles that way.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsmakr,Jul 13 2008, 08:46 PM
My AC is sporadic because it "clicks" on and off every 30 seconds or so all the time. You can tell when it is on obviously by the colder air that blows out and then when it click off its semi-cold air. I can actually hear a click and then the fan increases speed which is followed by colder air until it clicks off again. It's as if its taking a rest every once in a while.

The cabin does stay cold so its not a huge deal, just wondering if thats normal? If not, would a re-charge fix this or is it a mechanical issue?
mine does that too.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jsmakr,Jul 15 2008, 06:17 PM
I always keep it on the 1st-3rd fan speed and very rarely have the fan speed higher so I may be causing more cycles that way.
Try using the cabin recirculation instead of pulling in outside air and see if there is a reduction in the cycling.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jul 15 2008, 11:20 PM
Try using the cabin recirculation instead of pulling in outside air and see if there is a reduction in the cycling.
I'm used to the constant cycling of the compressor. Mine has been doing that for more than six years. It gets very hot down here in South Carolina, and I frequently use the recirculate mode, where the air temperature then varies between "Oh My God Cold" and "Quite Cold." However, I have gone that 6+ years without ever needing recharge of refrigerant or any other A/C maintenance.

Quick Reply: Air Conditioning Sporadic