S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Almost crashed !

Old 11-25-2001, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost crashed !

It was 11pm on a weekday I was going home when I took my
favorite road back . I was going downhill on a really winey road
doing about 65 on a 25mph curve when all of a sudden the back
of the car slid and that was it. The car spun out almost three
times and went downhill sideways then spun one last time
and stopped facing opposite way . The motor wouldn't start cause
I had choked it and it was rolling back, finally I had to pull the
e-brake . After about 10min it started,I was so lucky that I didn't
hit anywhere or even get hurt. My message to you guys is "Drive safe and don't underestimate the back of the car it might suprise you!"
Old 11-26-2001, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by Fastlane
"I was going downhill on a really winey road doing about 65 on a 25mph curve when..."
I think this says it all. As has been said here many times, if you drive with respect for the laws of physics, you will likely be just fine. When you drive as though the tires and car are invincible, you will soon be proven that you are not.
Old 11-26-2001, 04:50 AM

Of course, this is probably the outside speed for this kind of curve but many 25-35 mph warning marked curves are good for much more; some of them were last evaluated in the early sixties.

Fastlane: Do you believe that the car/tires provided feedback or warning that you were about to end-around? Or do you think you just ignored/missed it?

Inquiring minds want to know...
Old 11-26-2001, 06:08 AM

Originally posted by Fastlane
....The car spun out almost three
times and went downhill sideways then spun one last time
and stopped facing opposite way . The motor wouldn't start .....

"When in a spin, put both feet in!"

This keeps the motor running, and the spin in a straight line.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by jschmidt
Fastlane: Do you believe that the car/tires provided feedback or warning that you were about to end-around? Or do you think you just ignored/missed it?

Inquiring minds want to know...
FWIW I ran a relaxed track day yesterday at a nice track with a lot of runoff room. I wanted to feel out the car before I had something like this happen. Granted I wouldn't take a 25mph turn at 65mph but that is beside the point.

About the tires: I spun 5 times throughout the day and managed to save 3 other potential spins. Other than feeling the back of the car step out I had no apparent audible warning. You hear the typical tire squeal in the corner with no change in pitch until after the car began its rotation.

IMO: I don't think any of the crashes mentioned in this forum are any fault of the tires. I personally think the tires are great! and a perfect match for a stock S2000. I drove in a 40-45 degree cloudy day with warm pressures around 36f 30r the CAR is amazing, the driver in this case is the weak link. All of the spins were directly related to my instant loss of thought and or talent.

I will say this, the car is very twichy at the limit, it demands smooth inputs (throttle, brakes, steering) and if you are not paying strict attention she will bite you. On the other hand it is probably the most rewarding car I have ever driven.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:06 AM

65 MPH on a 25 MPH curve. Is it any wonder? This car may feel like it is on rails but remember... it is not.

I have met only one 25 MPH curve that I feel comfortable or felt comfortable doing 65 MPH around. The camber of the turn is what allowed me to do this. But recently it was paved and that changed tha camber a bit. I now take it between 55-60.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a few thoughts on this. First of all, in my experience, the speed rating given to corners is completely arbitrary and I'd love to see the guidelines the state (at least in CA) uses in determining those. Therefore, it's a tough comparison using "25 mph" corner as a reference point as to whether it should be able to be taken at 65. I've seen some slow rated corners that can be taken much faster than suggested and others that need to be taken close to their posted rating even in our car. Secondly, remember that you were going downhill. The same curve taken flat or uphill will not as easily induce oversteer. Any slight error you might have made will only be amplified by the downhill momemtum you are carrying. Lastly <sarcasm="on">, I'd just bet that this spin was caused by that dreaded "snap oversteer" that seems to cause so many accidents <sarcasm="off">.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Strike
[B]First of all, in my experience, the speed rating given to corners is completely arbitrary and I'd love to see the guidelines the state (at least in CA) uses in determining those.
Old 11-26-2001, 07:53 AM

Well I can guess on some of them... Besides the sharpness of the curve.

1. Is it a blind curve? i.e., can I see all the way around it.
2. Are there any intersections before or after the curve?
3. Others?

A buddy of mine got written up for rear-ending a bus he couldn't see until it was too late after rounding a curve. The official write-up was exceeding a safe speed despite the fact he wasn't speeding. He exceeded the safe speed for that curve.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:18 AM

Lift throttle oversteer when chickening out?

My personal guideline is double the posted exit limits ASSUMING I know the line and am prepared for the unexpected.

Quick Reply: Almost crashed !