S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

ALmost hit Bambi

Old 06-29-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALmost hit Bambi

Hey guys just wanted to share a story about tonight........

On a drive back from Burger King with my girlfriend, feeling a little frisky so got into v-tec when I was on the on ramp to the highway. Just cruising home now.., had to exit and there is one last long strip of road till we had to make a left turn and back to the house.

About this long strip of road: 2 lanes on each side. This road has always been a fun strip to just go WOT with friends etc... because there is always no cars on this road.

I wanted to hit V-tec again so bad just to satisfy my cravings, but something told me to just take it slow and cruise home. So I was going about 43 miles an hour in the left lane (speed limit is 40) when all of a sudden I see two deers running across and already in the right lane. I knew there was gonna be another deer coming ( because they always travel in packs around here) and my instincts told me to hit the brakes. I hit the brakes for a brief moment, tires chirped for a sec and a deer runs in front of my car and I missed the deer by centimeters, if not millimeters.

+1 for honda to make good a$$ stock brakes.

Moral of the story: WATCH OUT FOR BAMBI and be safe out there.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:58 PM

For listening to your inner voice glad you and bambi are safe
Old 06-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

I saw bambi today to, chewing someone's flowers in front of their house...
Old 06-29-2008, 09:51 PM

The low beam head lights on the s2000 are really cool, but in a way they are also some what dangerous. They illuminate just infront of you really bright, but beyond just in front of you there is very little illumination. This results in one not seeing anything in/along the road beyond the brightly lit area. Using something like the "2 second" distance rule for being able to get stopped for some event in front of you, the s2000 is probably unsafe being driven above 45 mph at night using the low beams. Above 45 mph, about the only thing the the low beams do for you is to allow you to see very well what you are going to hit and a split second to pucker the butt hole for the impact. Just missed deer last weekend at ~2 am by a couple of feet that was standing on the right hand white stripe on the interstate (low beams on). Where I live is well populated with deer and other critters (as well as general bricks, boards, truck tire treads, and other junk appearing in the road), so I generally drive slow at night when low beams are required.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Glad your car was damaged and no Deer was hurt.

I think our low beams are great at night, driving on the interstate my HIDs let me see a lot.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:10 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomkat,Jun 30 2008, 01:51 AM
The low beam head lights on the s2000 are really cool, but in a way they are also some what dangerous. They illuminate just infront of you really bright, but beyond just in front of you there is very little illumination. This results in one not seeing anything in/along the road beyond the brightly lit area. Using something like the "2 second" distance rule for being able to get stopped for some event in front of you, the s2000 is probably unsafe being driven above 45 mph at night using the low beams. Above 45 mph, about the only thing the the low beams do for you is to allow you to see very well what you are going to hit and a split second to pucker the butt hole for the impact. Just missed deer last weekend at ~2 am by a couple of feet that was standing on the right hand white stripe on the interstate (low beams on). Where I live is well populated with deer and other critters (as well as general bricks, boards, truck tire treads, and other junk appearing in the road), so I generally drive slow at night when low beams are required.
Many people don't know this anymore, but you're supposed to drive with your highs on all the time, and only switch to low beams with oncoming traffic. These days there's so much traffic, its usually easier to just use low beams, but you should always use high beams when you're able.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:25 AM

[QUOTE=Saki GT,Jun 29 2008, 10:10 PM] Many people don't know this anymore, but you're supposed to drive with your highs on all the time, and only switch to low beams with oncoming traffic.
Old 06-30-2008, 05:16 AM

yay bambi is safe!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:09 PM

if you were hitting it hard, you would have been way ahead of Bambi, instead of missing by mere centimeters . Playing it safe is always good - I have good luck with avoiding cops.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Jun 29 2008, 10:10 PM
Many people don't know this anymore, but you're supposed to drive with your highs on all the time, and only switch to low beams with oncoming traffic. These days there's so much traffic, its usually easier to just use low beams, but you should always use high beams when you're able.
Around here that is pretty much common sense.

Quick Reply: ALmost hit Bambi