S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Almost jailed....(Pretty Long)

Old 01-18-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was leaving a club yesterday at about 11:30 to go home because it was lame, and I had been in there for about 2-2.5 hours. I had one beer at the one hour mark in the club. It was probably around 25 degrees outside in Mountain View last night and I started the car and left for the freeway entrance. Well, as I ususally do, I took the exit pretty fast in first, then in second, and then shifted to third and when I shifted to third, the upshift kicked in and I could feel the backend start to kick out on the turn. I could feel it in my stomach but by this time it was too late as I saw the rear end of the car next to me..Oh shit, I'm f*cked ! I thought in my head the split second before everything went into a spin.

Next thing you know, I was doing a 360 on the freeway entrance so I slammed on the brakes. With my adrenaline pumping and my nerves shooting in the air, the car finally came to a stop. I had hit nothing and realized that I had been one lucky son of a b*tch to have nothing happen to me or anyone else on the road. I was still on the freeway entrance and not on the freeway yet at this point and after composing myself, I started the car again and began to drive.

But... As I drove about 20 yards onto the freeway I could see a car parked on the shoulder, and as I got closer to it I could see it was a cruiser. B*tch!!!!! I knew I was in deep sh*t, and as I passed him he put the dreaded spotlight on me and I pulled back onto the shoulder. I'm f*cked, kept going through my head as the cop came up next to me and asked for my insurance, I.D. etc. Then she asked me if I had been drinking, and I told her yes, I had one beer about an hour ago which was the honest to goodness truth (I left the club at 11:30pm). She asked me to step out of the vehicle and told me to stand next to the cruiser. At this point I could see a male cop next to her and I knew that this was it for me. Thoughts of going to jail danced all in my head as I knew the legal limit in CA was .08 and .08 was pretty much one beer, which I had just drunk a little more than an hour ago.

She proceeded to run me through the DUI tests, which at this point were pretty hard considering that I was scared sh*tless and it was cold as hell out there. Well, I passed all the tests as I knew I would because it takes at least 5-6 beers for me to get a buzz goin, but there was one left, the dreaded breathalizer. I took that test, and then the two cops went to the side of their car and where I couldn't see them anymore and began talking to each other. That's it, I'm dead, I was going to the slammer I thought. They came back after about five minutes and the male cop gave me the meanest glare I had ever seen. It was like I had beatdown his kid or something.

Then the female cop got in my face and said, "You know how close you came to going to jail?" I could feel the thousand pound weight come off my chest as I knew that I had passed the breathalizer. The breathalizer came back at like .06, .07 (damn, off of one beer).Maybe thats why he was so mad, I had passed all the tests and he couldn't slam the cuffs on me. The guy was a d*ck, but the lady at least didn't give it away that she was disapointed that they couldn't take me to jail. Then they kept giving me the how close you came speech for another couple of minutes and the male cop kept glaring at me. Then they asked me if I had any questions, and said I could go!

Holy cowsh*t batman, I was free again! No ticket, no damage, no harm done. As I walked back to the car, I was thanking my lucky stars that nothing had happened. My friend in the car was pretty much in disbelief that they didn't even at least give me a ticket for something either. That was it for me I thought, no more crazy, lunatic 20-something y/o driver. The nerves were gone, that was it, too close too deep shit.

As I was driving home I thought what could've happened to make the car spin like (other than my driving) because I've done it a million times before that and it was always super stabel. The S is the only car I felt safe doing that in ever, and the only car I would take to the limits like that, and why this time the rear wheels slipped. I wasn't even going as fast as I usually do and I didn't redline the car at second, only went up to about 7k rpm so it wasn't to the limits. I've done this before at 9k and it was fine. Everytime, the wheels were like clue on the pavement, but this time I felt the rear end was a little slippery right before it spun out. Then, I remebered GregStevens post about cold temperature affecting the tires, and thats how he lost it in Scarlet1. Sh*t, that had some factor in it probably. Oh, later after I was home, I realized that if I hadn't spun out, I would've hit the freeway doing at least 80, and the cop was right there waiting for me, would've have gotten a ticket for sure then. Too many close calls in one evening. There wasn't even a scratch on the car.

Ok, for all those people who want to say I told you so, I don't wanna hear it. I know how my driving is, and I don't need another mom telling me how to drive. I've learned my lesson and will grow from this experience. Hey, even gregstevens spun out in his car and I'd say he's a pretty experienced driver so I don't need anyone telling me, I'm a dumbass. Sh*t happens...

Just keep in mind driving the car with cold tires the same way a lot of you drive. It will affect the handling of the car and the tires will not grip the road as much as they usually do. You know you do it, don't tell me that you never make sweeping turns at high speeds and marvel at the stickiness of the car. Everyone has done that sometime or the other, so don't come here telling me I'm a dumbsh*t for doing it because I spun out. I've shared my story, so take what you want from it.

Now I have two lessons, watch our for the blind spot on driver's side, and tires at cold temps.

Later.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:26 AM

I'm not sure who lost it in their stook, but I remember somone posting that and pics, so I apologize if it wasn't you gregstevens.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phew, thank god nothing happened. Yea, that was me who lost it on a frozen road. Stupid me, I was driving on the S02's and it was about 5 below zero. Dumb dumb dumb...

I have said in reference to my wreck that the biggest enemy of the stock tires is not rain, but COLD. And the combination of the two is very very nasty. When Jason/Juliann and I were heading back from the Dragon this past weekend, it was raining in places and we pushed the cars hard with no evidence of slippage. Had it been cold, I wouldn't even have done that. And in my wreck, there wasn't ANY snow on the road, it was just plain cold...

Good thing no one got hurt...and glad you didn't get tossed in the clink. Trust me, it's a bigtime bummer...

The lesson here is to get those damn tires as warm as possible...rain is far less of a threat to unpredictable oversteer. Cold is the enemy...and it's only slightly ironic that I live in Chicago...
Old 01-18-2001, 10:36 AM
Banned

How much do you weight?
Old 01-18-2001, 10:44 AM

As many have said before, the stock S02's are great tires except in the cold.

The Bridgestone engineers I've talked to say operating temperature of the S02 is above about 43 deg F. From my experience in colder temps if you short shift and avoid wheelspin you should be ok.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by huyto
[B]Just keep in mind driving the car with cold tires the same way a lot of you drive.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:45 AM

Holy molly dude!!!I'm glad you OK and no one got hurt. 1 beer and you already got .07 blood alcohol level. Damn dude, my fish can out drink you Now, goto your room and think about what you did last nite. You are grounded. Now turn over your S2K key. Just be careful dude!!!
Old 01-18-2001, 10:47 AM

Originally posted by Marco
How much do you weight?
I'm about 145, so I don't weigh that much. But when I shifted to third at about 7k rpm, the back swung a little bit even though I've done that numerous times with no slippage so I thought I was safe. After it swung out, it was too late. I'm thanking my lucky stars that no one was hurt and nothing happened.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:54 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sunchild
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by huyto
[b]Just keep in mind driving the car with cold tires the same way a lot of you drive.
Old 01-18-2001, 10:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 89 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by huyto
Originally posted by Marco
How much do you weight?
I'm about 145, so I don't weigh that much. But when I shifted to third at about 7k rpm, the back swung a little bit even though I've done that numerous times with no slippage so I thought I was safe. After it swung out, it was too late. I'm thanking my lucky stars that no one was hurt and nothing happened.
Can you imagine what might have happened if you nicked that cruser on the spin?!

Quick Reply: Almost jailed....(Pretty Long)