S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

almost killed: my car and maybe me (long)

Old 12-05-2003, 08:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MyHieu
S02 are not made to be driven in wet condition
Yes they are. They're not made to be driven in *snow*

Vast difference between the two.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not meaning to be a pain in the ass, but this seems to be a topic of a serious nature...i.e 'what to do in a spin'.

There are however diverging opinions. Although all 3 say 'depress the clutch', one does differ in stating that the brakes should not be applied until it is obvious you are about to hit something.

I'm not an advanced driver, limited track experience and no advanced driving training, so what I'd like to know is, is there a GOLDEN RULE to follow during a spin or is the method of coping with it open to different interpretations and excecution?

Cheers.
Old 12-05-2003, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by x46359
Anyways, so that's my story. But I was just wondering are the tires really that bad or was it just a freak accident? And also, what could I have done to possibly prevent from spinning out? ... Rich
SO-2 tires are indeed that bad in the snow.

That's why Bridgestone labeled them SO for Summer Only.

I find it surprising that you've been a member of this board for 112 days and you didn't know.

This board wasn't even born when Greg Stevens posted his little warning against driving an SO-2 clad S2000 in the snow.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:39 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

And to further emphasize this point, even if it is just cold, the OEM SO2 tires don't grip well.
Old 12-06-2003, 05:55 AM

I had a similar situation on Friday too. It started snowing pretty heavily around 10:30 am or so while I was at work. I had to leave @ 12:30 for a 1pm class about 13 miles away (Edison to New Brunswick) and by Noon there was about an inch on the ground with it still coming down pretty heavy. I had to leave either way even if to head home so I decided to risk it. I got literraly about a 1/4 of a mile and COULD NOT PROCEED. No traction, just a lot of sliding around. I somehow turned around and got back to work where I parked it overnight. I got a ride home but I'm still nervous about going to pick it up.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:18 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hoenda
is there a GOLDEN RULE to follow during a spin or is the method of coping with it open to different
Old 12-06-2003, 09:55 AM

I agree with what jankemi has to say, very well put. A couple of comments and a couple of questions. Once the back starts to come around, I would give up on throttle control, clutch in and countersteer. It is too fine a line to balance with the throttle. As far as the both feet in, I agree once the back has gone too far to be brought back in line with countersteer (how far this is I don't know, 30 degrees or so?) it is time to depress the clutch AND the brake, just don't be too eager to do this. What I am saying is, if the back drifts out 10-15 degrees (all this is approximation, not fine science, so please work with me here) it probably isn't time to mash both clutch and brake and ride it out yet, not when a little countersteer will probably save you. However, if your swinging past 45 degrees with a good deal of momentmum, it is probably time to bring those feet in and hang on, hoping for the best. With this in mind, my question: What is generally considered the point of no return on oversteer (generally being the key word here)? I mean I can't see bringing the rear back in line when it is swinging 90 degrees wide from the direction of travel. Is the steering ratio on the S quick enough that you can swing the rear side-to-side without doing hand over had motions? Does this ever enter into the design process and has anyone noticed a difference from one high performance vehicle to another? Is all this impossible to simplify? Hope this helps you, hope someone can help me a little.

Jeff
Old 12-06-2003, 10:11 AM
mas

It's all about traction, if you don't have any you're not going anywere no matter how many years of RWD experience you have. All the techniques and tricks only apply to the situations when there is less than normal traction but what are you going to do on an icy steep road? Call AAA. ".".

I have driven the S thru all the Noreasters and Blizzards for the last two years. First thing you need is a set of 4 snow tires. Next, add some weight in the trunk if there's any chance of driving on a steep road - this is more important for local driving cause there's a good chance you'd come across an icy steep road at a stop sign or signal and will need to start with no momentum.

IMO, the worst thing about the S, in snow/ice, is it's weight and the LSD does not help the matter as well. Other factors are the short wheelbase (lower polar moment of inertia), very sensitive steering (Asif has a valid point about that, imo) and throttle response.

I have a feeling the original poster lost control of the car cause the road started to get a bit steep (could be a very slight change) at that point.

Let's all be very carefull and please no driving in the snow on S02s - there are less painful ways to commit suicide
Old 12-06-2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by x46359
I learned a very BIG BIG lesson today. DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT ever the s2000 in any type of snow. If there's a chance that it's gonna snow do not drive the S. That's just my opinion.
This really isn't correct. ANY car will grip poorly in the snow with summer tires. An S2000 equipped with proper (winter) tires does just fine in the snow. Many people on this board drive their cars year round in northern climates with no problems.

-Nick
Old 12-06-2003, 05:51 PM

Even FWD Cars with all season tires suck in the snow. I have a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GT with some 18's wraped in Michelin MXM V4 tires (its a V rated dry/wet tire which they also consider to have moderate snow capabilities). I usually drive very conservatively in the snow, but I have played around on empty back roads and parking lots to learn the car.
Anyways, I can slide the thing around the road basically at will, even with these all season tires. Just goose the throttle a bit and turn the wheel some, and the back end will really start coming around, and thats at 25mph. In fact the only thing I like driving in the snow is my parents 4 wheel drive pickup with the Michelin Mud/Snow tires. We have gotten my dad's AWD Van stuck several times.
Now, I dont want to start a big debate, but I think the whole fwd/awd being better in snow is a myth in most cases. Basically anything can get you in trouble in the snow regardless of tires. The bottom line is just drive slow, drive straight, plan all your turns and braking ahead of time and generally be careful.
Glad nothing happened to your and the S2k

Quick Reply: almost killed: my car and maybe me (long)