S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Am I invisible here?!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:38 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Am I invisible here?!

I am really starting to get paranoid about driving the S in town. The past three times I have driven it, I've had to honk my horn at someone trying to merge into my lane right on me. I know it obviously stands to reason that the S is lower so people don't see it, but surprisingly all of these cars were sedans and not trucks or SUV's. I could understand if it happened when I was driving aggressively and coming up fast on people in the lane beside them but I was just tooling along at 30 or so in a 30 zone on a three lane one way street in town. Traffic was pretty light two the times and the other time I was slowly rolling up to a stop light and a guy decides he wants to be in my lane at just the wrong time so i laid on the horn and he got back over. I'm usually a patient and understanding driver since I'm not free of screw ups either but this is really getting to me.

Of course this rarely happens in my CR-V that I'm not worried about getting dinged and even less in my Suzuki Sidekick offroad buggy that I probably wouldn't even bother to pound the dents out of. Its been in the family for 25 ears and no one has ever hit it. Just last week a local forum member had his S backed into while it was parked in a parking lot and now its in the shop having the rear bumper cover repainted.

So what are your experiences with being unseen in the S?
Old 10-01-2018, 05:42 PM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Can't drive these days without a dashcam on.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:16 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

I always drive with my CREE side lights on,but yes I agree,much caution is needed in sports cars
Old 10-02-2018, 12:26 AM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

I leave my headlights on when driving no matter what.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I approach the blind side of another car in a sports car I always have my thumb on the horn just in case. From phone distractions to the size of our cars, you really have to watch out.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:52 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

Similar to riding a bike or motorcycle...don't drive in anyone's blind spot. Pass them or stay staggered behind them.

I also always drive with lights on.

Old 10-02-2018, 05:30 AM

Received 1,130 Likes on 993 Posts

Unseen is common as is very close tailgating here in Richmond. Strobe high brake light seems to help a bit with the tailgaters.

A camera is only good for posting your crash on Youtube. Watch some of the "driving fails" videos (hard to avoid them!). Note the common crashes when passing on the right and someone left turns from the opposite direction between a couple of cars in the left lane, or someone in the slow/stopped left lane jogs over to the moving right lane. The S2000 sits too low to be seen or allow seeing this until too late. Same basic problem at the roundabouts that are becoming more common here. (UK drivers know this happens passing on the left.)

This is less a problem in my Expedition.

-- Chuck
Old 10-02-2018, 05:40 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I'm not as seasoned with driving the S as some of you guys. It looks like I need to start thinking like I'm driving a motorcycle and do more to stay out of blinds spots etc. I do stay more vigilant than in my other cars but I need to take it up a notch. Sound advice.
Old 10-02-2018, 06:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WVCR-V
I'm not as seasoned with driving the S as some of you guys. It looks like I need to start thinking like I'm driving a motorcycle and do more to stay out of blinds spots etc. I do stay more vigilant than in my other cars but I need to take it up a notch. Sound advice.
You are exactly right here. I was just telling my wife a few days ago that driving the s2k is almost like driving a motorcycle, you have to be super aware of other cars around you when driving it.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:37 AM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Going on 10 years as a DD . Never been in an accident in this car .

I assume everyone is retarded and out to get me, which helps. I try to anticipate where people will go based on how they're driving . My headlights are always on. Be aware of blind spots and avoid sitting in someone else's .

And I make it a point to drive at least slightly faster than most traffic which makes it easier to remember where other cars are around me at all times. This last point isn't too hard considering NJ drivers are slow compared to other states from what I've seen .

Last edited by silenc3x; 10-02-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Quick Reply: Am I invisible here?!