S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Am I invisible here?!

Old 10-02-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

These cars are a bit hard to see. I always have my head on a swivel in parking lots and as much fun as round-a-bouts are in this car, half of the people out there have no idea when they are supposed to be yielding or going so I take it easy. It seems like in my area, stop signs are annoying yield signs and yield signs are invisible. I am just always hyper-aware when I am driving.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't remember this every being an issue when I had mine, but this was a while ago.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:13 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I drive in one of the worst top 2 traffic areas in the country and have learned how to avoid some of these issues in the S. I also ride a motorcycle so i've adopted the same driving system to both. But first off if you cant see the car or bike, make sure they can hear it, that means an audible enough exhaust. Stock wont do. Driving wise you need to be alert and defensive, learn to anticipate actions with cars around you while never putting yourself in a position you can evade from should it be compromised(sometimes easier said then done in rush hour traffic) and don't be afraid to drive a bit on the aggressive side overall or when called upon. One big and fundamental habit I have gotten into is I will never merge into a lane next to me if it ends up behind the car next to me because they may not see you there. I always accelerate and then move over so im now in their front peripheral view, this is key!

And of course, top down always. Cant see enough to move quick enough with a hardtop or softop on. Need a 360 view at all times, just like a bike.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 AM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
I leave my headlights on when driving no matter what.
THIS.

Now I don't drive with my headlights on under bright sunny days. But I absolutely HATE these automatic headlights and people relying on them all the time.

There's a law, well at least in San Francisco that if you have to use your windshield wipers, then you must turn on your headlights. Cars are much less visible in mirrors when it's raining, especially with the sprays.

But no, idiots just rely on their automatic headlights.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Same law here in WV for lights and wipers.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:09 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
THIS.

Now I don't drive with my headlights on under bright sunny days. But I absolutely HATE these automatic headlights and people relying on them all the time.

There's a law, well at least in San Francisco that if you have to use your windshield wipers, then you must turn on your headlights. Cars are much less visible in mirrors when it's raining, especially with the sprays.

But no, idiots just rely on their automatic headlights.
I've had three cars with automatic headlights and all three would turn them on if the wipers are on. All three also were pretty sensitive; if it was dark enough to rain, they were probably on. In the Wrangler, there's a setting you can change to keep them off, but you have to dig in to change it.

I do think all cars should just have headlights on all the time when the car is running. Make it so you can optionally turn them off, but next time you start, they turn on again.

As a motorcycle rider, additional lighting is probably the biggest safety feature you can add.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
A camera is only good for posting your crash on Youtube.
Why do you say that?

While a camera won't prevent an accident, I've seen too many instances where a camera proved who was at fault to be comfortable driving without one. There are some great videos on the Jeep forums about it - the "other guy" made all sorts of accusations until the video was reviewed. On our tight CT roads, people cutting in at the last second, getting rear-ended, then suing the person they cut off is too common. Without some kind of witness/video, it's just your word against theirs. I don't have one on the S yet but mainly because I want a good forward/rear camera and haven't found one I like. My other vehicles all have them. For $60 and the time it takes to install, it's well worth it. Unless you drive like a total spaz, then you probably don't want to record it (not saying you do).

Also, it IS true that you occasionally record some pretty wild stuff. I should chuck some of it on Youtube.

Old 10-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Received 219 Likes on 162 Posts

I agree about the headlights, I have been trying to drive the S at all times with headlights burning. The wife reminds me all the time. Think about how when we do our group drives, how much more visible the other S's are in your mirrors with their lights on.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:18 AM
IPB

I've honestly had the exact opposite response where I live in New England. in my dd which is a 2016 2500hd crew cab I get cut off all the time. Literally every time I drive it this happens, same thing if my wife takes it. I am towing a camper and or trailer pretty often, and this instances its 10x worse. Cut off on the highway by folks merging on, or in general traffic...because a 20ft truck with a 30ft camper can stop on a dime! it happens while in my Jeep TJ too, but to a lesser extent.

In the S generally people will move out of the left lane, and I rarely if ever get cut off.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

This is just defensive driving.
Have you ever owned a motorcycle? It's worst.
You have to be aware of and anticipate what other cars are going to do.
Toddling along in someone's blindspot is asking to be side swiped (in any vehicle, not just the S2k).
It's common sense though - these are small cars, people are more distracted than ever when behind the wheel and I find people are less engaged in the act of active driving and more passive driving which may be a result of the types of vehicles being made these days - easy and un-inspiring.
But again - this is just active defensive driving not only in your S2k but any vehicle.

Quick Reply: Am I invisible here?!