S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Am I wasting my S2000?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Am I wasting my S2000?

Hi. I have a 2004 S2000 that I never drive to work, or the grocery store, or the book store, or drive anywhere. The only time I drive it is to go for a pleasure cruise on country roads. I don't park it; it's too much of a risk.

There is nothing inside my S2000 to indicate that anyone owns it, or that it is ever used, except for proof of registration that I store in the door sill.

Am I wasting my beautiful S by not driving it more, using it for what it was built for? I can understand not driving it when there is a threat of snow, but my problem is I want to keep my car beautiful, new looking, and unblemished.

For example, if it was raining outside, it would bother me if I opened the car door and rain got on the leather seats, the carpet, and the interior.

My daily car is the junker of all junkers. It is a 1988 Sentra, dented, the gauges don't work, and the driver's side window is broken, off the track, and doesn't quite go up all the way. I use it while my noble, powerful sports car stays home, unused. How does the rest of the forum come to terms with not driving their S2000 more and making the most out of life?
Old 06-27-2006, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a car, drive it!
As far as keeping a vehicle pristine for collectability, you're already past that. So scrap the heap and drive your car.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 PM

I also keep my car in the garage and drive around a 1996 Corolla, It isn't as bad as yours is though =P haha

I say you should definitely drive it more it isn't an exotic or anything remotely close =P

Enjoy your ride.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:32 PM

I don't drive mine everyday either.. but it has over 5,000 miles on it and I just bought it 3 months ago (plus 2 days) when it had 8 miles on it...

Over 3,000 of those miles are from one week (florida to michigan and back with some side trips) and another 600 from driving to south florida and back to tampa.

The rest is from driving to/from work and weekend drives.

Are you wasting it? Depends on why you bought it. I bought mine for driving to tracks outside of my area when I help organize events and for tracking/driving locally on occasion. I don't drive it everyday because I have a perfectly good integra to drive also.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:33 PM

Bleh ... drive more! Life's too short dude
Old 06-27-2006, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a nut when it comes to detailing my car. However, there's no possible way to enjoy driving it and keep it pristine. At least not where I live. I've decided to just enjoy the car while I have it. You can keep your car in the garage if you want to, but someday someone's going to enjoy the hell out of it. To answer your question, yes, I believe you're wasting it!
Old 06-27-2006, 12:35 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

A car is meant to be driven. The fact that your car never got wet isn't going to increase its value unless you keep it for 60 years. Rain is water, not acid. The seats are leather, not cotton candy. Nothing will happen. Of course, the low mileage is a plus.

I don't see how parking your car is such a risk. Thousands of S2000s are parked daily without issue - its not like you bought a 63 vette - its a Honda. Just take precaustions like parking in the back of lots, under lights, etc and you'll be fine.

If you enjoy the S when you're driving it, then it probably justifies the cost of owning it. But if I were you, I'd drive it more and enjoy it more. I never understood people who buy a nice car and only drive it 5% of the time because they are afraid of rain, traffic, etc, yet are willing to suffer a POS 95% of the time.

I bought the S because its a great car to drive. I also sold my beater because I like driving the S every chance I get. I use mass transit for work commutes, but the S is not sheltered like some garage queen, its driven hard and put away wet sometimes.

That doesn't mean I don't maintain it, wash it, wax it, park away from SUVs, etc, but at least I'm extracting the fun I paid for from it and making sure it will keep on being a fun car. Fwiw, my car is in the shop now getting hail damage removed.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:51 PM

Do like I do and auto cross it lol. Maybe drive it fri.sat. & sun. then drive that pos, I mean, Nissan the rest of the time.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:59 PM
Jo2

it's a honda not a ferrari.
Old 06-27-2006, 01:12 PM

Sell it or drive it!

Quick Reply: Am I wasting my S2000?