S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Am I wasting my S2000?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if you brought your car to a meet, all the other cars would make fun of it.

You know, like that kid who's been home-schooled until the 11th grade, and doesn't know what myspace is?

Oh, and of all the places to have a convertible and not drive it... San Diego, CA? *sigh*
Old 06-27-2006, 02:37 PM
dmz

If I were you i'd try to drive is a much as possible and just drive the beater on bad weather. I also have a beater but duing the summer months, I drive the S everyday. think of it this way. You paid a lot of money for it and if you don't use it the car it still depreciate. You migh as well enjoy the car since you are paying for it one way of the other.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:57 PM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

It depends on how long you plan on keeping the car.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:59 PM

I prefer to think that you are preserving it. If the lack of miles don't bother you then don't sweat it. It's just sitting in your garage retaining it's value as best it can.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:05 PM

The car is engineered and designed to be driven, so yes you are wasting your money.

Mine is daily driven
Old 06-27-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Tyraid2K,Jun 27 2006, 03:59 PM
It's just sitting in your garage retaining it's value as best it can.
This doesn't make sense to me. You bought a $30k chunk of metal, rubber and glass. It sits in your garage depreciating while going unused. The longer it sits, the less it's worth. I have no idea how you can use the word "value" to describe any part of this situation. Financially speaking, your money would be better off rationed off in coffee cans buried randomly in the back yard.

Eh... but whatever floats your boat. When it's time to sell the car, I'd be curious to see the dollar per mile figure.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul S,Jun 27 2006, 03:28 PM
Yes, you're wasting a perfectly good sports car. I drive mine to work. It's a good stress reliever after a hard day at work.

At the moment, I have a 50 mile commute to and from work. My S has 92,500 miles on it and counting.

I feel like I waste it because I don't have time right now to get to the road course or any Auto X events. I can't imagine not driving her every day.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

While I dont necessarily fault the OP for not driving it, it does seem like a waste to me to let such a fun car sit unused. I can almost imagine it sitting in the dark garage sniffling "Why dont they love me"

One of my favorite anecdotes to this sort of situation is this:

A car collector who had bought one of Elvis' old cadillacs and had it on display in a museum was asked by someone why he never got the blemishes (rock chips, etc) on the car touched up. The collector said that it was because they show that the car was driven, and enjoyed.

While every time I notice a new small scratch or chip on my S is disappointing, I think about how much fun I must have been having when it decided to show up and it makes it easier to deal with.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:24 PM

Honestly it's all up to your own perspective. Me? I drive my car day in or day out. Rain or snow. I religiously wash it, wax it, vacuum it, polish it, etc... but I'm not afraid to drive it. Now I can go out and drive a beater car 6/7 days of the week, or even take the train to work as I live about 500 yds from the train station, but this car is way too much fun NOT to drive.

Its a car and its meant to be driven. Life is definitely too short for you to have a great car like the S2000 and just idolize it. Yea I do worry about the mileage I put on the car, but after all is said and done its a Honda afterall. I'm on my 3rd Honda and they have all been incredible cars to drive.

But really its all up to personal preferences. If you plan on keeping this car forever and want to enjoy it little by little, who's anybody to say you shouldn't? But I'd rather enjoy it now as you never know what tomorrow brings...

I do hope you drive the car more though.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Sabre,Jun 27 2006, 05:18 PM
While every time I notice a new small scratch or chip on my S is disappointing, I think about how much fun I must have been having when it decided to show up and it makes it easier to deal with.
That's a great way to think about it. I've been thinking along the same lines these days. While I do love to keep up the appearance of my car, I have noticed a large amount of rock chips etc.. on the front of my car. But I've also driven the Dragon and had a blast. I've tracked my car and had a blast. I have "spirited" drives everywhere I go, and have a blast doing it.

When it gets really bad I'll just respray the front end or better yet opt for a Mugen front end.

But I am definitely less anal about rock chips etc... these days.

now door dings. THAT's another story. Those come from the stupidity of OTHER individuals. Hence I do everything I can to ensure I have a safe parking spot.

I may walk a bit but I still go wherever I need to go. EVEN if its the dreaded Shopping mall.

But if you don't go somewhere at all because you are scared of getting your car dirty or dinged that's a borderline phobia in my book.

Quick Reply: Am I wasting my S2000?