S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Another converted 'stang GT driver.

Old 10-01-2001, 07:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another converted 'stang GT driver.

This weekend, I drove down to Miami, on the way saw a 99+ stang GT with open sounding headers (or are those cars that loud normally? ). We had a little race from about 60-110, and it was real close. I started maybe a foot behind him, and then by 110 was maybe a foot in front of him. It was pretty much dead even the whole way up.

Anyway, the reason I post this here instead of street encounters was the look on his face. When I first punched it, he looked over and was nodding his head, and giving me that look, saying "as if" without actually saying anything. When drove by me another few miles ahead, he passed me with a big smile and a nice long thumbs up. It was nice to open up an american-car mind to a little rice burner like the s2k.

Plus, my props to the GT. No replacement for displacement, and although the body style isn't for me, you gotta give them some credit for cheaply producing a lotta horse.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:49 AM

Enjoy it while you can Chris, won't have too many more close races with your average Mustang GT. Soon you'll have to find someone a lot quicker to play with.
Old 10-01-2001, 08:53 AM

Ummm, Mustang and Camaro drivers aren't ignorant. They are no more or no less cocky than "ricers" either.

They know damn well a Stook is a fast car and get surprised by one just as much with any "newer" car..

I keep reading about all these stook owners gloating about how they surprised some Stang or Camaro driver..

whatever. We all know the Stook is a fast car. There is no surprise. If you want to surprise, buy a GS400 or the previous generation Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9.. Those will surprise(the latter will tremendously).. Even better would be to mod up a minivan..

My biggest surprise was watching a ~1972 Ford Bronco(the old tiny boxy one) that ran in the mid 12s... That was funny!!

-John M
Old 10-01-2001, 08:58 AM

By the way...are the newer Mustangs faster or are we faster?
Old 10-01-2001, 09:00 AM

That's exactly why I posted this. A lot of american car drivers still ARE skeptical of power that your average rice burner can make. He was younger, maybe 19 or 20, and nodding his head and rolling his eyes. The fact that he gave a thumbs up after speaks volumes about getting over your petty little differences over cars styles or bodies or sounds or theories on how to make power.

Power is power, and if you make it with displacement, or nitrous, or turbos, it doesn't make it any slower.

I think a lot of the younger "rice" crowd as well should take a lesson from this and get over the silly ostracizing of american cars. There's a lot of excellent well built cars out there, built right here in the states.

And derryck: I'm looking forward to it more than you could know. Nice dyno, btw.

cd
Old 10-01-2001, 09:42 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derryck
[B]Enjoy it while you can Chris, won't have too many more close races with your average Mustang GT.
Old 10-01-2001, 09:45 AM

Already posted but here you go.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u...&p=54605921&f=0
Old 10-01-2001, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by derryck
Already posted but here you go.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u...&p=54605921&f=0
cool, thanks
Old 10-01-2001, 10:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My room-mate has a 2001 Mustang GT Convertible 5spd, and I can vouch that it's fast stock! But it's a different kind of fast! It has twice as many torque and you can really feel it! Though their redline is only 6k something, they got power from 2.5k to redline. We all know that our stooks is nothing under 3k rpms, so our main power is from about 5-8.5k. Which is about the same bandwidth as the stang.
All I'm saying is that straightline power for power, those big american V8's are fast!
Overall car for car, the stook doesn't even compare!
Old 10-01-2001, 10:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SoCal28, there's only one kind of fast. Pick a number, 0 - 60 MPH, 1/4 mile, lap times, whatever it is that is the measure. The butt dyno and peak torque numbers are next-to-meaningless. The proof is the stock S2K will beat up on a stock convertable GT in a straight line, even though your butt dyno feeling is right. The Mustang makes more peak torque and at lower RPM.

I'm sure we can arrange for several bone stock stooks to match up against your roommate's ride to further prove the point.

Quick Reply: Another converted 'stang GT driver.