S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

another "feelings" thread

Old 11-30-2005, 02:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default another "feelings" thread

this one isn't so positive.

unfortunately, i feel like i get bored of things pretty fast. even when i try hard not to, it happens while im sleeping or something.

i've wanted the S2k for 5 years and have now driven it daily for 5 months. and as much as i LOVE the car, i feel that bored feeling creeping up and i hate myself for not fully appreciating the car. it's like taking for granted that we live in a democracy or that we breathe relatively clean air, etc. this is not to say that i want to switch cars, cuz im pretty sure i'd get this feeling with a F430 eventually.

just putting it out there to see if anyone else feels similar and asking how you deal with it.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think it helps to meet other owners. I was pretty much alone with my S2000 for a year, just driving solo, but still loving it. I had thoughts of other cars, but everytime I'd drive it hard around back roads it reminded me that I was dumb to consider anything else. Its good to have others share the same feelings. Kinda like playing video games...if you play by yourself you get bored quickly. If you play with friends, it becomes competitive and encourages you to get better at it.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:16 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I have had mine four months...not bored, not going to be bored. Especially over the next few months when the winter weather will keep me from enjoying the car as much as I have been to this point.

The S2000 was a quest of mine since 1999. I had great expectations for the car, and it has exceeded them. I love it, I will keep it as long as I possibly can....hell, bury me in the thing if you have to.
Old 11-30-2005, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KBreaker,Nov 30 2005, 05:49 AM
I think it helps to meet other owners. I was pretty much alone with my S2000 for a year, just driving solo, but still loving it. I had thoughts of other cars, but everytime I'd drive it hard around back roads it reminded me that I was dumb to consider anything else. Its good to have others share the same feelings. Kinda like playing video games...if you play by yourself you get bored quickly. If you play with friends, it becomes competitive and encourages you to get better at it.

Old 11-30-2005, 09:00 AM

Don't fall into that trap man. You may be bored right now, but I guarantee that once you sell her, you will regret it. Yes, you will feel excited with a new car, but a couple of months later regret will sink in and you will find yourself wanting your S back... No other car handles like the S (in its price range) and is near as fun to drive either. There are several owners on here who have sold the S, bought something they thought they would like better, and ended up with an S again, me included.
Find some friends with S2ks, buy some new accessories (counter sunk voodoo shift knob from ricks makes shifting a compete new feel, upgrade the stereo, new shoes) it will get better!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:41 AM

Sometimes, you have to make yourself realize how lucky you are. I'm 67 years old now, and retired. The S2000 I bought nearly 4 years ago is not a daily driver, but it is great fun. Barely 20 years ago I was driving a VW Rabbit diesel with 52 hp (and 50 mpg capability) because that was what I could afford. I kiss the ground (figuratively) every day when I awaken, although, with my lumbar vertebra, I might need to be helped to my feet afterwards.

Even the most remarkable piece of equipment eventually seems ordinary when you have regular access to it. Sometimes I feel like the S2000 does not accelerate particularly well, but that is because I have become spoiled. Few things in life are worse than becoming jaded.

And, for the record, despite many concerns and many negative feelings about Dubya and friends, I also kiss the ground every morning to have been given the opportunity to live my life in this great country.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well said, guys it's not that i actually think im not lucky. it s worse. i know im lucky, but have trouble "feeling" it. i drove a 87 accord before with less than 100 hp so i know the relative scale. i know im sick in the head.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:48 AM

In addition to meeting other S2000 owners, I recommend taking your car to the track and modifying it to help stave off your "boredom". I'm never bored with my S2000 because there is always another project on the horizon or a new area of the car to set my sights on improving.

Also with taking the car to the track you can work on "moding" yourself. Making yourself a better driver

I'm fairly confident that you haven't even come close to maxing out this cars potential in stock form in a few months, once you're sure you're spinning around the track as fast as YOU can push the STOCK car around, start looking for ways of pumping up the power, dialing in the handling, or lightening her up
Old 11-30-2005, 10:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think its safe to say that people get bored when they are not working on something or being challenged anymore.

Next step in keeping you interested in the S2000 could be learning how to drive the S2000 with a little more flare. Although fun, it can be damaging if not done right, I would suggest doing it when it rains in an open parking lot to reduce chances or putting too much load on your differential. I take no responsibity if anything breaks, Do at your own risk. Find an open parking lot while its raining and see if you can control a drift with the S2000. Turn in, quickly lift off and then blip the trottle to powerover, countersteer, and modulate the trottle and get yourself in opposite lock like the drivers in Top Gear do in their testing. This should cure your bordem. Watch out for cops.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you've mastered the car.....then maybe it's time to move on...

Sometimes it's easier to move on then to face the fear of driving at the limits of your car and your abilities......

I have learned that even when I push it......there is so much more to be achieved....

You need competion to show you where you are in your skills as a S driver...

If it's not about the actual cars ability and it's more about the bling of what you drive....you will never be satisfied. Much like the comment you made about having an F430. If you drive a car for others to see.....you will get bored...

If you drive a car because you are an enthusiast and to become a better driver overall......then the S should keep you happy for much much more than 5 months...

Quick Reply: another "feelings" thread