S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Any others scared of warranty work?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Any others scared of warranty work?

ok, so its no fun getting natta replies in the local forum, mods feel free to delete that one

anyways, so i got a few minor things that might be covered under warranty...

bumps on the dash when in 90+ heat (possibly from spotty insulation underneath)
and the infamous "ignition still thinks key is in the car" problem...

trouble is, after reading over so many "tech crash/scrape/scuff my car" stories,
im soo paranoid of taking it in to the dealer...

i mean...regardless of how awesome the reputation that a few local dealers have...
in most cases, doesnt it still come down to some underpaid tech doing the actual leg work
on a car he can care less about...

local dealer tech < honda japan hand assembler?

thoughts, opinions, personal experiences?
Old 08-17-2006, 03:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I take my car in, I make sure I can stay at the dealership. I look through the customer door at the mechanics so they know I am concerned. When they pull my car out of the shop, I stand outside in the parking lot, so they don't drive off with the car. I let the guy who writes the tickets and takes the keys know that I want the car taken good care of and I prefer that it not be driven off the lot.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:52 PM

One other thing, when I voiced my concerns to the service advisor he said, "I'm sorry you don't trust us." Well, I saw a tech there redline a brand new Si, and the Si was ice cold; it had just been started up.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I had my center console replaced, a piece of passenger door trim, and everything was fine until the tech pulled my car back out front - he left a big muddy foot print right on the carpet! So, I had him take my S back and shampoo the carpet. The service guy showed my the bill for the parts - $700! I mean, it was two pieces of trim...

I have to go back though - I have a couple other trim pieces that broke.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Saki- What type of trim problems are you having? Everything on my '06 seems to be so solid the last thing I would expect to go bad would be the trim.
Old 08-17-2006, 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=Purple Haze,Aug 17 2006, 04:52 PM]One other thing, when I voiced my concerns to the service advisor he said, "I'm sorry you don't trust us."
Old 08-17-2006, 04:52 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JackS,Aug 17 2006, 07:04 PM
Saki- What type of trim problems are you having? Everything on my '06 seems to be so solid the last thing I would expect to go bad would be the trim.
The rubber mat around the shifter curled up on one side, and the leather elbow pad came unstitched, so the dealership replaced the entire piece along with a new leather shifter boot (woohoo!). The other piece was the passenger side window door trim - it tore at the back edge where the rubber is super thin. I've noticed its torn off of all older S's, so I figure its juts bad design and will tear again, but why not get it replaced?

I have to go back because my clutch pedal lost a rubber nub and my driver's door a-pillarette is blistered. Also, one of the plastic tacks that holds the hood insulation on fell off. I can't get anything mechanical to break, which is good imo!
Old 08-17-2006, 06:48 PM

I have to take mine to the dealer tomorrow for the valve cover gasket leaking... and my car only has 3100 miles on it...
Old 08-17-2006, 09:51 PM

Smile

I despise bring my s2k into the dealership or anywhere "certified techs" will work on it. As a matter of fact, I brought my car into the dealership last week for a few issues, and when I get call that the car is done, I find out they didn't repair one thing on my list. It's the old "we couldn't duplicate the problem" scenario. When this is the case they won't even inspect/work on the problem, not to mention a few of them were very common problems for the s2k but if there was a TSB on the earlier years it would not apply to me, even though it is having the same issue. In other words, told me that the problem isn't there and it is only a problem when it breaks.

ie: rear wheel pop/click when moving slowing from reverse/forward (changing directions) It's obvious that the rear hubs need to be retorqued, but they couldn't get it to "pop" so they won't do anything. I even explained what needed to be done...printed out the old TSB on this...still useless

To top it off they also managed to scratch my front lip up nicely (which I didn't notice till a day later when I was about to wash it). I am in the process of dealing with the service manager to get the lip repaired.

So...they managed to put on 16 miles on the odometer...gave me a few new rock chips on the bumper and scratched the hell out of the lip. I will never bring my car in for service at a dealership again unless it is a major issue. If it is possible for me to do the repair, I will. I take pride in any type of work I perform, so at least I know it will be done without destroying everything else on the car in the process.

Heres a few pics of the damage...may not seem like a lot to some, but when I take so much pride in keeping the paint nice this is a nightmare to me.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:56 AM

This is why I won't take my car to the dealership, either. That's would piss me off royally.

Quick Reply: Any others scared of warranty work?