S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

AP1 rant

Old 01-16-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AP1 rant

Have you ever had someone try to talk you out of your car by bombarding you with "flaws" because they want your car???? Even worse someone who knows something about your car!

*"Isn't the car tempermental and expensive to own?"
actually NO. In 300k+ miles I have never been stranded or needed a tow home. In fact, aside from normal wear and tear items like brakes, clutch etc the only thing I have ever had to replace on my S is a coil pack... just 1... cost me 80 bucks!

*"what about that snap oversteer?"
I'm tried of hearing about this really. Snap oversteer is not an AP1 issue, it is a driver issue. Every mid to front engine RWD car I have ever owned acted in the same way (those without TCS)... If you came into a corner hot and either let off the gas of even worse hit the brakes... you were gonna eat shite. Some are worse than others... I've seen my share of 360's in my S, I'm not scared to drive it like I stole it.

*"doesn't the stock radio suck?"
Absolutely, it blows. For 35k it maybe could have been better. If it bothered me that much I would buy a nicer system.

*"i hear it eats a lot of oil"
Yep, find me an S that doesn't!

*"I bet maintenance is expensive... for tune ups and such"
Don't know.. I'm the only one who touches my S. Every time I've paid a stealership to touch my car they do dumb crap to it, and I end up fixing it myself.

*With that front end damage I could give you 5K for that car"
I'll calmly ask you to please get out of my face now!

This went on for a while... but I'll cut it at that. Nothing to see here people. Move along
Old 01-16-2015, 05:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This actually happened to me . Everyone was trying to point out flaws on my car but i realized the liked my car. It got so bad I almost sold the car for a nismo 370 smh. I realized that people just didn't want me to have the car for whatever reason. I said to myself if everyone trying to talk me out of my car so they can have it, I would be a fool to get rid of it. The end result I told the 370z to kick rocks and decided I'm keeping my s2k forever!!!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When anything has character people will either love it and enjoy it or use it to talk it down.

My rant that pertains more or less to the quality of used s2000s on the market.

That bullshit "Honda reliability" . Very few cars these days need much in the way of maintenance until after 100k. Nearly every s2k with 100k+ miles needs a tct, vtec solenoid, a new top, in addition to about 15 other things your typical Honda mentality allows to go unfixed. I mean i know they are just cars, but I thought there was something special about these cars that nearly everyone noticed? At least everyone besides me since I have recently purchased one.

/end rant
Old 01-17-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I've loved my S from the day that I bought it. Here's my 'rant'.

Sure, the factory audio system is not good. I didn't bother turning it on for the first few years because the sound of the engine is sweet to my ears.

I did upgraded the audio system, so now I have the best of both worlds.

Does it eat oil? Hmm, do I ask the engine to soar to 9,000 RPM? What's a little oil for that fun?

Snap over-steer? Yes, I haved learned from my spin outs. Signed up for some HPDE classes and learned what I did wrong. I look forward to learning more.

Did I say I love my car? Top down driving in 72F weather can't be beat. This is the most fun that I can afford, and it's worth every penny.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
This actually happened to me . Everyone was trying to point out flaws on my car but i realized the liked my car. It got so bad I almost sold the car for a nismo 370 smh. I realized that people just didn't want me to have the car for whatever reason. I said to myself if everyone trying to talk me out of my car so they can have it, I would be a fool to get rid of it. The end result I told the 370z to kick rocks and decided I'm keeping my s2k forever!!!
A wise choice imo!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by impulse21
When anything has character people will either love it and enjoy it or use it to talk it down.

My rant that pertains more or less to the quality of used s2000s on the market.

That bullshit "Honda reliability" . Very few cars these days need much in the way of maintenance until after 100k. Nearly every s2k with 100k+ miles needs a tct, vtec solenoid, a new top, in addition to about 15 other things your typical Honda mentality allows to go unfixed. I mean i know they are just cars, but I thought there was something special about these cars that nearly everyone noticed? At least everyone besides me since I have recently purchased one.

/end rant
True story! But, I have really spent less on my S in terms of repairs than any of my other vehicles. Over 300k miles and I'm on my second clutch, second set of brakes and third battery. I got 10 years out of the oem top. No TCT or vtec solenoid for me yet. Agreed that many used S2000's can be a crap shoot!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by AZS2KDancer
I've loved my S from the day that I bought it. Here's my 'rant'.

Sure, the factory audio system is not good. I didn't bother turning it on for the first few years because the sound of the engine is sweet to my ears.

I did upgraded the audio system, so now I have the best of both worlds.

Does it eat oil? Hmm, do I ask the engine to soar to 9,000 RPM? What's a little oil for that fun?

Snap over-steer? Yes, I haved learned from my spin outs. Signed up for some HPDE classes and learned what I did wrong. I look forward to learning more.

Did I say I love my car? Top down driving in 72F weather can't be beat. This is the most fun that I can afford, and it's worth every penny.
Amen
Old 01-17-2015, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone offered you 5k for a s2000 with front end damage and 300k miles and you said no?
Old 01-18-2015, 05:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by caideN
Someone offered you 5k for a s2000 with front end damage and 300k miles and you said no?
That's what I was thinking.

Since when do we let other people dictate how we feel about our cars?

If they don't like it, then who cares?

Replace "s2000' with "purse" and we'd sound like junior high girls (and I know, because I teach junior high).
Old 01-18-2015, 06:00 AM

nothing money can't fix. keep it and move forward. and for those who put it down, tell them to and go buy their own.

Quick Reply: AP1 rant